23 April 1988 – Celtic’s Crazy Birthday Party

I’ll kick off with mine.....

It was the 1st season I’d attended every home game with my younger 12 year old brother, I was in my late teens and had just passed my driving test and had bought my 1st car, only staying 10mins away in bellshill was easy to get to home games, back in the old stadium days you could just pay in at the gate, it was the centenary year, big billy McNeill had come back to (hopefully) lead us to the league trophy.

The crowd that day was immense, the official figures said 60 thousand but in reality it was closer 80 thousand, the old board had a much joked about counting system for the crowd (one, two, miss a few.....) plus you could lift the kids over the turnstiles for free entry and members of the clergy got in for free (never seen as many dog collars in side a football stadium as I did that day, tam shepherds joke shop must have been doing a roaring trade in them that day).
We got to the ground 1hr early, I knew it was going to be busy, the line for the turnstiles were already snaking round the ground, we eventually got in just before kick off, the traditional Celtic end just under the old electric pylon, it was wall to wall people, even the wee man selling the spearmint chewing gum and the macaroon bars could get through the throng of people, the atmosphere was electric, when Chris Morris scored in 3 mins with a 6 yard rocket it was bedlam, the tension had eased, the party had started, it was all “happy birthday Celtic” and “we’ll win the league again, fly the flag” from the elated hoop fans.

With Andy Walker scoring from a though ball from McAvennie in 75 mins the place erupted again, I like most people missed Walkers 2nd goal, coming only 45 seconds after the other I was still jumping up and down hugging my wee brother when the goal went in.

At the end of the game there was a pitch invasion we were too far up the terracing to get on, I remember hold my wee brother by the scruff of the neck to stop him, my maw would have killed me if I’d have lost him.
It took about 20min for the stewards to clear the pitch so the team could come back out for a lap of honour, not one person left the ground, everyone just waited singing our hearts out.

The dream had been achieved.....just the other Dundee team to beat in the Scottish cup final for a centenary double 💚🍀

Last edited:
It was Dundee Utd we beat in the Cup Final in 88 for the centenary double. Two very late goals fae Frank MavAvennie and Mark McGhee if I mind right. I travelled up fae London and met mates fae Dundee and was in the Utd end with them.
I never saw the semi v Hearts at that time but have watched it years later on You- Tube. That was like the final too with two late goals.
Henry, Henry, Drop the ball, Henry, Drop the ball, was the song about Hearts Keeper Henry Smith. Check oot the Hearts goal in that game, how is that not a foul. Nothing changes with sevvie refs.

It was Dundee Utd we beat in the Cup Final in 88 for the centenary double. Two very late goals fae Frank MavAvennie and Mark McGhee if I mind right. I travelled up fae London and met mates fae Dundee and was in the Utd end with them.
I never saw the semi v Hearts at that time but have watched it years later on You- Tube. That was like the final too with two late goals.
Henry, Henry, Drop the ball, Henry, Drop the ball, was the song about Hearts Keeper Henry Smith. Check oot the Hearts goal in that game, how is that not a foul. Nothing changes with sevvie refs.
I think MacAvennie got both mate..

HH

Aye your right mate, I’ll edit it, I was thinking of the one where joe Miller scored the only goal after big roy “stole” a throw in🤣

Last edited:
My email got included 👏👏👍 no bad, for someone whose English teacher said was “as thick as a brick”🤣😱
Well done mate.....Wis yer teacher a Jethro Tull fan....

R-449383-1309171351.gif.jpg

Aye, probably was about that time, witches promise, aqualung, etc,he did have tweed jacket with patches on the elbows, can’t ever recall him with a flute or standing on one leg though🤣

Just watched the 88 final review on the beeb, travelled up fae Sunny Dunnon that day on the bus and the ferry ⛴️😂.

Great wee watch, seeing Cesar manage the centenary double, Tommy Burns, Aitken Mcstay, what a team.

What a season of last min winners and a team fighting for each other.

H.H.

💯💚🤍💛💯

Aye, probably was about that time, witches promise, aqualung, etc,he did have tweed jacket with patches on the elbows, can’t ever recall him with a flute or standing on one leg though🤣
Did he have goat DNA in his underwear?
There is a real story about a guy/sevvie/mason who was caught humping a goat when a train stopped next to a field. Passengers got on the phone to the Police. He was convicted because of goat DNA in his underwear.
That's true. It was in the North of England. He was called Bobby Beaton Dallas if I mind right.
Made up name but the rest is true.

Members online

No members online now.

Back