3 away games in league, no wins

Like a few posters I agree that the midfield for me was all wrong yesterday. Turnbull and Rogic don't seem to work together in the same 3 man midfield when playing away from home. I feel like they stifle each other and neither is strong willed enough to boss the other one so we end up where they both want to do similar things but neither ends up doing it. McCarthy started slowly, then for a wee spell I was happy to see him getting stuck in but he quickly faded away - obviously not fit enough.

I feel that we need a lot more steel in the midfield, someone who will get stuck in and take the fight to the opposition. We were lucky enough to enjoy Broony for over a decade in this role but let's be honest - he was rarely at the very high standards he set pre-lockdown after we returned last season. Also, if we did uncover another gem similar to him then he'd be moving on after a couple of years success with us.

I know many fans don't like us buying the best of players from other teams in the SPFL as they aren't good enough for us. But I feel that they understand what is required to win and play tough physical football to try to win the league. If you have a team of too many lightweight foreigners on the pitch at once then sadly they can occasionally find themselves getting bullied.

IMO yesterday was not a day for 4-3-3. Playing 2 wingers on that small narrow pitch which plays slowly due to it not being prepared properly means we are not playing to the conditions. I thought we needed an extra ball winner in our midfield to help us start attacks and to assist our defence. Why Ralston or Montgomery never got on the pitch is an absolute mystery to me. Keeping Abada on as well seemed strange as he was poor for the last 80 minutes of the match. The subs were needed as we were playing terribly, but IMO they were not the right players and we just kept the same shape which was clearly not working. Personally I thought a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 would have been more sensible yesterday.

These are the sort of dropped points that can cost you dearly come the end of the season. I am still confident we will win the league but we need to be smarter and not so one dimensional.
Agreed BB
Played Boli, Turnbull, Jota on our left side that produced nothing all game.
Even worse on the right side with josip, Rogic, abada.
Our right side on Thursday was left wide open and cost us badly with 2 poor 2nd half goals, solution drop Ralston bring in josip instead and still no better, would say even worse.
Play Mccarthy as a sole DM or playmaker, yet seen enough of him and yet to see him play without a midfield partner and wouldn't say he could ever play the role as his head seems to placed on backwards (play the way your facing)
How can losing one simple ball, lead to a ball knocked into space taking 3 players out, make that 4 with CCV moving across to cover, allowing Welsh on a one on one in the centre of your own goal, only 25 minutes into a game, and claim the team set up is right?
The warning signs have been there, even at home against Ross County, same thing at 1 up and for not Hart making a great save and us getting the 2nd straight afterwards, could have been a different story.
The warning signs are there, yet nothing has been done to address the problems as of late imo.
A run of home games where we would be expected to get the results and don't see why not, will only paper over the cracks in the team set up until our next away day comes as 6 defeats out of 7 on the road says something needs fixing urgently

Is it just me? Or is Anges naivety beginning to show up? Ok in Oz or Japan you make get away with a gung ho all attack attitude. But not here. Not in Scotland where what they lack in skill is made up for in aggression. We've bought players that while they like a wee step over just get put on their arse. Now that broonies gone who's our hardman? We ain't got one.
Hartson says Ange needs another 3 transfer windows 😳 he'll be lucky to get one.

Is it just me? Or is Anges naivety beginning to show up? Ok in Oz or Japan you make get away with a gung ho all attack attitude. But not here. Not in Scotland where what they lack in skill is made up for in aggression. We've bought players that while they like a wee step over just get put on their arse. Now that broonies gone who's our hardman? We ain't got one.
Hartson says Ange needs another 3 transfer windows 😳 he'll be lucky to get one.
Ye wid think WGS wid be talkin to Ange.......Strachan kens the Scottish game inside oot...

Ye wid think WGS wid be talkin to Ange.......Strachan kens the Scottish game inside oot...
Good point. I don't think he's that naive he just has his ideas and won't adapt his football philosophy, fair enough. Even Brendan had to adapt to Scotland, others didn't Like Barnes Mowbray. You have to. Even Lennon, although when he didn't it cost him, and us.
I'd like to know what advise Kennedy is giving him.

Good point. I don't think he's that naive he just has his ideas and won't adapt his football philosophy, fair enough. Even Brendan had to adapt to Scotland, others didn't Like Barnes Mowbray. You have to. Even Lennon, although when he didn't it cost him, and us.
I'd like to know what advise Kennedy is giving him.
Think you'll be waiting to the best part of never to get the answer to that question brimcbhoy.
Seen nothing yet to suggest that JK has any imput on match day whatsoever.

Looking at our stats you would never imagine we were sitting in 6th place until you look at the points..
Celtic are the highest goals for in the Premiership,they are also joint top for goals conceded.
We have only played 6 games, when we have completed the 36 IMO we will be looking at the 11 teams below us and wondering what the concern was about.
There is now talk going on about WHO SIGNED James McArthur,I have no doubt Dom McKay will carry the can for this,unless of course if James turns out to be a success,,the I,M SPARTACUS flag will be raised in favour of these people who dont want to hold their hands up too soon..
There are no teams capable of progressing the way we can in the next 3 months so that has to be a big factor on how things will pan out at the end of the season..
Julian,Forrest,Giakoumakis,Furuhashi,Scales,Callum,and whoever Ange brings in at the January window...he will definitely bring in new faces,,sevco will definitely sell in January to keep the lights on.
So Bhoys and Ghirls let the zombies worry about their future,,we already know ours..and once again it is looking rosey,just the way we like it..

HH.

Looking at our stats you would never imagine we were sitting in 6th place until you look at the points..
Celtic are the highest goals for in the Premiership,they are also joint top for goals conceded.
We have only played 6 games, when we have completed the 36 IMO we will be looking at the 11 teams below us and wondering what the concern was about.
There is now talk going on about WHO SIGNED James McArthur,I have no doubt Dom McKay will carry the can for this,unless of course if James turns out to be a success,,the I,M SPARTACUS flag will be raised in favour of these people who dont want to hold their hands up too soon..
There are no teams capable of progressing the way we can in the next 3 months so that has to be a big factor on how things will pan out at the end of the season..
Julian,Forrest,Giakoumakis,Furuhashi,Scales,Callum,and whoever Ange brings in at the January window...he will definitely bring in new faces,,sevco will definitely sell in January to keep the lights on.
So Bhoys and Ghirls let the zombies worry about their future,,we already know ours..and once again it is looking rosey,just the way we like it..

HH.
Why do you think we will definitely bring in new players in January GS?
Good few also under that impression also, yet I'm struggling to see where we need the strenghting so badly, as it doesn't say to much about what we've already got imo.

Why do you think we will definitely bring in new players in January GS?
Good few also under that impression also, yet I'm struggling to see where we need the strenghting so badly, as it doesn't say to much about what we've already got imo.
I believe John he will bring in a new striker,are 3 strikers not enough ??? obviously not when we have been forced to use the same striker since Kyogo got injured,,Centre back,maybe a full back depending on how Scales turns out or he might just look at scales in the centre back position and settle for a left back,I also believe mate he will look to bring in a midfielder a.s.a.p.
Once again John speculation and opinion mate,but I would put my house on it John there will be new faces in January and IMO they will be Ange Postecoglou,s new faces..

HH.

If James McArthur is not up to speed then surely somebody must know why ??.
Nobody wants to hold their hands up to the signing of this Bhoy.
I hope James turns out to be one of our star players this season and bites them on the arse,I am sure there will be no shortage of hands up if this was the case.

HH

I believe John he will bring in a new striker,are 3 strikers not enough ??? obviously not when we have been forced to use the same striker since Kyogo got injured,,Centre back,maybe a full back depending on how Scales turns out or he might just look at scales in the centre back position and settle for a left back,I also believe mate he will look to bring in a midfielder a.s.a.p.
Once again John speculation and opinion mate,but I would put my house on it John there will be new faces in January and IMO they will be Ange Postecoglou,s new faces..

HH.
Fair points GS, I'm under the impression that the squad is complete with at least 3 options available in most positions in the system Ange has stuck with to date, so don't see the room for increasing even further.
Now if we were to mention quality and ability of the players for the system then yes I would agree, which wouldn't say to much about what was already here before Ange.
Think it might be a case of a roundabout with 1 out of the door to allow another to replace them imo by the looks of things

If James McArthur is not up to speed then surely somebody must know why ??.
Nobody wants to hold their hands up to the signing of this Bhoy.
I hope James turns out to be one of our star players this season and bites them on the arse,I am sure there will be no shortage of hands up if this was the case.

HH
Believe he has had covid issues and also been out of competitive action for some time now, and without a pre season also.
Even so, seen enough of Mccarthy to say I wasn't in favour of signing him, as yet to see him in an attacking sense, as more favoured to sideways and backwards passing.
Thought he could do a job holding in front of a back 3 or 4 allowing for the attack minded players to do there work higher up the pitch.
Fail to see, especially after yesterday how he's going to fulfil the role without any support around him and yet to see him play anything like the role Ange is currently looking for.
Hope he can adapt to the role but wouldn't be counting on it, so could be a waste of a signing unless a change in formation /system is on the way imo

Have to agree John,I was a James McArthy fan since his Hamilton days when he had the chance to join Celtic,but from what I have seen so far from him it looks like he has expended his best days down south.
10 years ago he would probably have gotten away with a 3/4 fit player but today as you know mate it is all about fitness.
You will remember Colin Bell who played with Man City,in 1970 I think it was,he had a metometer strapped to him during a game to register just how far he ran because he was classed as the fittest guy in English football,after 90 minutes he registered over 3400 metres,in 2008 playing for Celtic Paul Hartley was subbed after 81 minutes with stats of having run over 11,000 metres... 3/4 fit does not cut it now,,you have to be good and fit,,we only need to look at Polish Paddy who Lennon said was one of the fittest players he had ever seen but unfortunately he lacked that wee bit of skill which would have helped him stay here..
If I could bring back one player to Celtic who has left in the last 6 months it would be Broony, classed as one of the fittest at Celtic..I believe Ange would have loved coaching Broony.
Whoever thought Soro could follow in his footsteps was sadly deluded,IMO Broony sits right alongside Roy Keane and Paul Scholes as the best at their job in British football..

HH.

Back