3 or 4 defenders away to Copenhagen?

Lot of interesting comments. I reckon it’ll be a 2-1 victory away and a skelping at CP for them.

Love Hayes heart but said before he can’t cross for shit.

Boli i was always unsure about and totally agree with Andy on Ajer’s position.

I would prefer a 442 away n a 352 at home.

Anno. All my pals down south hate it with a passion. Actually harming the game as a spectical.

I'm hoping as I always have thought, that VAR would be better for us. We create more chances and our brethren refs have always been at it. I accept all the fucking about is shit, but up here? Get it in.

Trouble is Steviebhoy we have a dilemma up here, we can either put up with Sevvie loving refs and their 'honest mistakes' for the rest of our days or bring in the tech to curb their influence! Personally I'd rather have VAR (with all it's flaws) which offers a fair and level playing field rather than continue to allow that lot to undermine the integrity of our game.

HH (y)
My thoughts exactly. In a league where cheating is not an issue fine, it may be overkill, but in our league? If it's applied as it is in England, Sevco are fucked.

No doubt (from what I've seen on youtube) Soro looks like he can mix it a bit in CM but he still lacks the height and physicality I'm talking about. There are games (like yesterday's) where there's a need to fight fire with fire, using 2 combative CM's (Broony/Ajer pairing) to nullify an opposition who rely on using their height and physicality to try and bully us out the game. I'm not really talking about Ajer replacing Broony here, I'm talking about Ajer giving Broony the physical back up and height advantage CalMac can't. Not even a need for CalMac dropping out in games like this either, he can be pushed further forward, where I personally think, he plays his best football.

Agree 100% with you on Broony. Can't emphasise enough how much we're going to miss him when he finally hangs up his boots Niall, the guy has been phenomenal both as a player and as a captain. It will be tough enough finding a replacement who can play that particular role as good as Broony but it will be damn near impossible to find one who is as good a leader. Ajer's no Broony and I doubt he'll ever be able to replicate that particular role Broony has performed over the years but we should now be priming him to take on that combative role in central midfield. Ajer will be a different type of player from Broony but he has all the attributes to be a top midfield enforcer.

Remember we're not trying Ajer out in there, it's not an experiment, the bhoy IS a Centre Mid! The experiment was making him a CB!

HH Niall 🍀
I'm convinced we should 'trial' it with a view to succession for Broony. I can also understand the thought process over occasionally (preferably very) over both together for certain opponents/conditions.
Not sure if you saw this analysis on CBN. What was it ex dons boss Skovhahl said about stats and mini skirts? All the same it's very interesting reading for anyone questioning the worth of continuing Ajer as a centre half.

I'm convinced we should 'trial' it with a view to succession for Broony. I can also understand the thought process over occasionally (preferably very) over both together for certain opponents/conditions.
Not sure if you saw this analysis on CBN. What was it ex dons boss Skovhahl said about stats and mini skirts? All the same it's very interesting reading for anyone questioning the worth of continuing Ajer as a centre half.

The 3 games I think we've looked a soft touch and really struggled in this season Niall was Sunday's game at Aberdeen and the last 2 games against Sevco.

On all 3 occasions we lost the central midfield battles because both the Sevvies and the Sheep identified a bit of a weak spot in our set up, they knew if they closed us down quickly enough in the centre of the pitch while using just enough brute force they could nullify the effectiveness of both Broony and CalMac. It's both Broony and CalMac who are in the engine room driving and linking up our play most of the time and if you take them 2 out the game then you disrupt our entire set-up and that's exactly what the Sevvies and the Sheep did with the latter using their height as an added advantage. Granted we won in the League Cup and at Pittodrie but it was by the skin of our teeth and against the run of play. I'm convinced if we don't address this issue in these type of games then just like the 29th Dec we'll come unstuck again.

I think in games like this we'd benefit hugely pairing Ajer up with Broony in CM while pushing CalMac a little further forward. That way you can better deal with the physical/height threat without losing the intelligent play/passing of CalMac.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm not saying Ajer is an awful CB because he's not and he's performed admirably wherever he's been asked to play across the back line, but he does have certain deficiencies as a CB that leave our defence overly exposed and even more so in a back 3.

For me at least, we look in danger of losing out on a top CM enforcer for the sake of having a 'decent' CB. His physicality, his ability to drive forward with the ball and the added advantage of his height makes him the only player in our entire squad that looks like a natural successor to Broony. What I'd love to see is Lenny bringing in another CB of the same quality as Julien in the next transfer window and start preparing big Ajer to step into Broony's role when he finally decides to hang up his boots.

Interesting stats but not that surprising tbh, no argument Julien and Ajer are our best most consistent CB pairing but as always stats don't tell the whole story as a certain Mr Congerton has already proved ;)

HH Niall great debate as always (y)

The 3 games I think we've looked a soft touch and really struggled in this season Niall was Sunday's game at Aberdeen and the last 2 games against Sevco.

On all 3 occasions we lost the central midfield battles because both the Sevvies and the Sheep identified a bit of a weak spot in our set up, they knew if they closed us down quickly enough in the centre of the pitch while using just enough brute force they could nullify the effectiveness of both Broony and CalMac. It's both Broony and CalMac who are in the engine room driving and linking up our play most of the time and if you take them 2 out the game then you disrupt our entire set-up and that's exactly what the Sevvies and the Sheep did with the latter using their height as an added advantage. Granted we won in the League Cup and at Pittodrie but it was by the skin of our teeth and against the run of play. I'm convinced if we don't address this issue in these type of games then just like the 29th Dec we'll come unstuck again.

I think in games like this we'd benefit hugely pairing Ajer up with Broony in CM while pushing CalMac a little further forward. That way you can better deal with the physical/height threat without losing the intelligent play/passing of CalMac.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm not saying Ajer is an awful CB because he's not and he's performed admirably wherever he's been asked to play across the back line, but he does have certain deficiencies as a CB that leave our defence overly exposed and even more so in a back 3.

For me at least, we look in danger of losing out on a top CM enforcer for the sake of having a 'decent' CB. His physicality, his ability to drive forward with the ball and the added advantage of his height makes him the only player in our entire squad that looks like a natural successor to Broony. What I'd love to see is Lenny bringing in another CB of the same quality as Julien in the next transfer window and start preparing big Ajer to step into Broony's role when he finally decides to hang up his boots.

Interesting stats but not that surprising tbh, no argument Julien and Ajer are our best most consistent CB pairing but as always stats don't tell the whole story as a certain Mr Congerton has already proved ;)

HH Niall great debate as always (y)
Let's do it Andy you make a good case, and I'm old school with stats. Much prefer my own eyes. Hail Hail (y)

Members online

Latest posts

Back