7 realistic targets who could replace Neil Lennon and save Celtic's season

At the current rate ally he’s goat till the end of the Month even DD must see the crisis we’re facing. The players have disgracefully
Chucked the toys oot the pram imo
And the team has no shape style or tictacs
We’ve been absolutely PISH from day one of the Season this cannot be allowed to continue no been this scunnered since the 90’s watching the EBTS winning league after league and I know we’re not entitled to win everything but a team that fights will always get my support.

HH 🍀
Jamsam. I was going on the assumption that Lawwell will keep him till end of season. Lennon imo does what 5he board tell him to do. A new manager St this time would have to agree to always go with 5he board. Who in their right mind would agree to that. Reminds 9f Jock Stein telling the lat Sir Robert Kelly 5hat from now on the manager picks the team. Lennon hasn't got the balls to tell 5he board where to go. ☘️☘️

If there IS to be a 'replacement'......which I still think is doubtful......then for the love of God please NO more managerial appointments being made based on 'he's a good Celtic man' or 'he knows the club/game up here' as the calibre of any Celtic manager should be based on their abilities and NOT on their familiarity with either the club or Scottish fitbaw.

Maybe a bit of an ambitious shout but Laurent Blanc, who has a tremendous managerial CV and has been out of the managerial game since 2016, may fancy taking on the challenge of turning things around and making history at one of the World's biggest clubs.

That type of appointment would require showing some ambition from DD, Lawell and the board though......something they seemed to have given up on a long time ago.
Lawell yes, but there's always an inkling of ambition when DD gets directly involved.
Blanc has a great predigree as a player and not at all bad as a manager. We can struggle to attract players on wages etc, so much so we're on 4th and 5th tier of footballers out there.
But I'd rather give up on a couple of projects and give that money to a yearly wage for a mananger where we can probably still pick from as near as damnit the top level or just below. It;s just whether he's willing to accept his wage means less of a player budget to work from and he's expected to improve, or at least return players to previous standards. I'd take Blanc as I would Marcelino(if he speaks english), Rebrov or even Howe.

Jamsam. I was going on the assumption that Lawwell will keep him till end of season. Lennon imo does what 5he board tell him to do. A new manager St this time would have to agree to always go with 5he board. Who in their right mind would agree to that. Reminds 9f Jock Stein telling the lat Sir Robert Kelly 5hat from now on the manager picks the team. Lennon hasn't got the balls to tell 5he board where to go. ☘️☘️
Agree Ally old saying there are none so blind that cannot see.
God help them if it’s there plan to help these knuckle dragging Barstewards
They’ll never be forgiven.

HH 👏

Scottish football is it's own wee brand of weird science. The whole game up here has never really come to terms with the modern era, particularly when it comes to the role of a manager.

There's still this thing that a manager has to be responsible for every aspect of the day-to-day running of the club. Jock Stein was a master in this style of management, but he also had real influence over the board because of his success.

The expectations of the manager remain the same, but they will never have that 'force of nature' factor that was Jock's superpower, especially in the way he handled the media and the board.

I don't know if a continental manager could properly adapt to the nuances of the role up here. The players are also different too. They have a huge profile with the fans up here and can easily undermine a manager, regardless of their reputation (Ronny Deila being a case in point).

I agree with Andy that it shouldn't be a fundamental prerequisite that any future manager has to be steeped in the Celtic traditions. In fact, a complete separation from the club might not disadvantage them with the burden of personal investment and responsibility.

The ability to actively participate in coaching should be a requirement though. Absentee managers who defer and delegate duties should not apply.

There are options available, but the biggest problem facing any prospective candidate, is that there is absolutely no time for transition or to implement their long-term ideals. If you're not first you're last up here and you're only ever two defeats away from a crisis. That's why Lenny was a good short-term choice for the gig when the snake bolted, but Lenny went safe and steady last season and we're paying the price for that inertia now.

Can we accept a losing manager if that short-term pain is going to enhance our long-term prospects?

Personally I think it needs to be someone who knows Celtic. Someone who knows exactly whats at stake here. For everyone!!!! A Martin O'Neil, Gordon Strachan, even Paul Lambert or the likes. Not a permanent signing necessarily but someone who could steady the ship and get us 10iar. The other side of the river would start to panic if we resign big Wim. Can you imagine!!! Whoever needs to hit the ground running. BTW. I'm a lenny fan but enoughs enough. If stuck up for him and sang his praises to long. Please Peter sort this season out and walk away with a statue.....

Scottish football is it's own wee brand of weird science. The whole game up here has never really come to terms with the modern era, particularly when it comes to the role of a manager.

There's still this thing that a manager has to be responsible for every aspect of the day-to-day running of the club. Jock Stein was a master in this style of management, but he also had real influence over the board because of his success.

The expectations of the manager remain the same, but they will never have that 'force of nature' factor that was Jock's superpower, especially in the way he handled the media and the board.

I don't know if a continental manager could properly adapt to the nuances of the role up here. The players are also different too. They have a huge profile with the fans up here and can easily undermine a manager, regardless of their reputation (Ronny Deila being a case in point).

I agree with Andy that it shouldn't be a fundamental prerequisite that any future manager has to be steeped in the Celtic traditions. In fact, a complete separation from the club might not disadvantage them with the burden of personal investment and responsibility.

The ability to actively participate in coaching should be a requirement though. Absentee managers who defer and delegate duties should not apply.

There are options available, but the biggest problem facing any prospective candidate, is that there is absolutely no time for transition or to implement their long-term ideals. If you're not first you're last up here and you're only ever two defeats away from a crisis. That's why Lenny was a good short-term choice for the gig when the snake bolted, but Lenny went safe and steady last season and we're paying the price for that inertia now.

Can we accept a losing manager if that short-term pain is going to enhance our long-term prospects?
Sorry sp I don't totally agree with some of your point.
I will say lenny leading us to the 10 is over, winning the 10 is far from over.
How many of them scum fucks would make it into our squad? 2, 3, at a push maybe 4 so will not buy into this bollox of them being better than us. Can we get back to knocking the shite out of them like we used to under the snake? Of course we can
We need a manager who can get a team organised, improve a system of play with better tactics, and get back that fighting spirit we are so famous for, and most of all to be able to tell that interfering fuck PL to fuck off from team affairs until he hopefully gets the boot as well.
Who ever may come in will be inheriting bit of a mess due to the vision of PL.
I would say 8 out of the 15 players used yesterday will not be wearing a Celtic Jersey next season, and I fear PL penny pinching may well cost us the quality of lax.
We have millions available from players value, and time has come when DD either invests in success within Europe or piss off into retirement.
We need a strong manager with good man management skills to still salvage this season as it is still very much possible.
We still have the players to make this season a success at the moment.
For anyone taking over has a major rebuilding job on there hands, hopefully more so at the end of the season than in January, but if any player don't want to be there for the fight then fuck them out the door in January. If it means losing millions on transfer fees then sobeit, as it may be short change to what this money mad board will lose if they don't sort this shitshow out and secure the 10iar.
This decision has to be one if not the biggest in the history of our club and any attempt to mess about any new potential manager shall be looked upon as an act of treason upon our support as many have already got there suspicions about support towards that scum outfit.
As I see it, the time has come for make or break regarding this board so what ever conclusion they come to needs to be done very wisely

How many of them scum fucks would make it into our squad? 2, 3, at a push maybe 4 so will not buy into this bollox of them being better than us. Can we get back to knocking the shite out of them like we used to under the snake? Of course we can
We need a manager who can get a team organised, improve a system of play with better tactics, and get back that fighting spirit we are so famous for, and most of all to be able to tell that interfering fuck PL to fuck off from team affairs until he hopefully gets the boot as well.
I would say 8 out of the 15 players used yesterday will not be wearing a Celtic Jersey next season, and I fear PL penny pinching may well cost us the quality of lax.
We have millions available from players value, and time has come when DD either invests in success within Europe or piss off into retirement.
We need a strong manager with good man management skills to still salvage this season as it is still very much possible.
For anyone taking over has a major rebuilding job on there hands, hopefully more so at the end of the season than in January, but if any player don't want to be there for the fight then fuck them out the door in January. If it means losing millions on transfer fees then sobeit, as it may be short change to what this money mad board will lose if they don't sort this shitshow out and secure the 10iar.
This decision has to be one if not the biggest in the history of our club and any attempt to mess about any new potential manager shall be looked upon as an act of treason upon our support as many have already got there suspicions about support towards that scum outfit.
As I see it, the time has come for make or break regarding this board so what ever conclusion they come to needs to be done very wisely
Big guy. I agree with all you've said. This needs to be all or bust. If we don't win 10iar nothing else matters as much after. Money needs to be spent and spent now. We should be absolutely out of site by now. Every year. We should be qualifying for knock out stages in the CL. There should be no player in our squad contemplating there next move. We Are Celtic!!!! They should all want to go down in HISTORY as part of the team that achieved it

I'm not counting us out of this race, John......far from it, mate. I was thinking with one eye on the future regarding a manager, but I'd be inclined to agree that Lenny's shoogly peg is about on the floor now.

I don't rate many of that mob. I think they're a one-trick pony and that once teams learn to counter that trick then they'll collapse under their own burden of expectation.

I don't think that overspending is necessarily the way forward though. I strongly suspect that some of the discontent within the squad could be down to the variations in salary. If you spend 4-5 million on a player, then their wages are going to reflect that. A boy like Christie may well ask why such and such is getting paid such and such when he's not even starting. That problem multiplies if there is another cash splurge that sees that wage gap grow wider.

There are players within this group who must be chomping at the bit to play. If they are harnessed properly and used appropriately - then they might prove to be the aces in the pack come prize giving.

I don't fancy seeing big names just going through the motions for even bigger paypokes. If these boys have been deemed good enough to earn contracts, then let them prove their credentials on the pitch.

Lawell yes, but there's always an inkling of ambition when DD gets directly involved.
Blanc has a great predigree as a player and not at all bad as a manager. We can struggle to attract players on wages etc, so much so we're on 4th and 5th tier of footballers out there.
But I'd rather give up on a couple of projects and give that money to a yearly wage for a mananger where we can probably still pick from as near as damnit the top level or just below. It;s just whether he's willing to accept his wage means less of a player budget to work from and he's expected to improve, or at least return players to previous standards. I'd take Blanc as I would Marcelino(if he speaks english), Rebrov or even Howe.

Operative words there being 'when DD gets directly involved' mate, which is not nearly often enough! If he still has any ambition for this club, outside of his delusional pie-in-the-sky fantasy of us joining the EPL, then he needs to step up and show it.

The millions we've pissed away on failed project players over the last few years could've paid for a manager like Blanc, Marcelino etc. 10 times over so I agree with you 100% when you say you'd happily give up on a few projects to secure a manger of that calibre because it makes more sense both on the pitch and off it to invest that money in a proven managerial talent with a track record of success that can make your team better, make individual players better and has a greater chance of delivering success than taking hopeful and expensive punts on inexperienced unproven potential.

The irony is it's managers of Blanc's etc. calibre that increase the club's chances of turning those projects/punts into a big transfer payday by making them and their teammates better players through their coaching and knowledge of the game and raising their profiles through being part of a successful winning team!

Are guys like Blanc, Marcelino, Rebrov etc. willing to come and work under the constraints that exist at Celtic? Who knows......but surely it's better to ask them the question and get knocked back than meekly accepting defeat on the matter before we've even tried?

Last edited:
Big guy. I agree with all you've said. This needs to be all or bust. If we don't win 10iar nothing else matters as much after. Money needs to be spent and spent now. We should be absolutely out of site by now. Every year. We should be qualifying for knock out stages in the CL. There should be no player in our squad contemplating there next move. We Are Celtic!!!! They should all want to go down in HISTORY as part of the team that achieved it
Here's the dichotomy though.......

It was chasing the dream that ultimately did for that mob. They became that focused on emulating our success in Europe that they completely lost the hold of themselves and sank into the abyss.

Their wretched story should be the bogeyman we scare our bairns with. If we start thinking like that without any long-term insurance policy, then that can happen to us too.

Winning 10 is important, but if that becomes the limit of our ambition then we're worse off than I thought we were. We should be more competitive as is. We do have big decisions to make, but panic doesn't usually go hand in hand with sensible decision making and this fucking thing is weighing us down more than it should be.

Personally I think it needs to be someone who knows Celtic. Someone who knows exactly whats at stake here. For everyone!!!! A Martin O'Neil, Gordon Strachan, even Paul Lambert or the likes. Not a permanent signing necessarily but someone who could steady the ship and get us 10iar. The other side of the river would start to panic if we resign big Wim. Can you imagine!!! Whoever needs to hit the ground running. BTW. I'm a lenny fan but enoughs enough. If stuck up for him and sang his praises to long. Please Peter sort this season out and walk away with a statue.....

Sorry L67 but this is exactly the kind of reasoning that has put us in the position we're in now......what we need is a manager who knows his stuff NOT a manager who knows the club.

I'm not counting us out of this race, John......far from it, mate. I was thinking with one eye on the future regarding a manager, but I'd be inclined to agree that Lenny's shoogly peg is about on the floor now.

I don't rate many of that mob. I think they're a one-trick pony and that once teams learn to counter that trick then they'll collapse under their own burden of expectation.

I don't think that overspending is necessarily the way forward though. I strongly suspect that some of the discontent within the squad could be down to the variations in salary. If you spend 4-5 million on a player, then their wages are going to reflect that. A boy like Christie may well ask why such and such is getting paid such and such when he's not even starting. That problem multiplies if there is another cash splurge that sees that wage gap grow wider.

There are players within this group who must be chomping at the bit to play. If they are harnessed properly and used appropriately - then they might prove to be the aces in the pack come prize giving.

I don't fancy seeing big names just going through the motions for even bigger paypokes. If these boys have been deemed good enough to earn contracts, then let them prove their credentials on the pitch.
Christie, Eddie and the likes shouldn't even be contemplating leaving just now. Big Foster should have jumped at the chance of resigning. We should have had quality players from all over the world begging to be part of 10iar

Operative words there being 'when DD gets directly involved' mate, which is not nearly often enough! If he still has any ambition for this club, outside of his delusional pie-in-the-sky fantasy of us joining the EPL, then he needs to step up and show it.

The millions we've pissed away on failed project players over the last few years could've paid for a manager like Blanc, Marcelino etc. 10 times over so I agree with you 100% when you say you'd happily give up on a few projects to secure a manger of that calibre because it makes more sense both on the pitch and on off it to invest that money in a proven managerial talent with a track record of success that can make your team better, make individual players better and has a greater chance of delivering success than taking hopeful and expensive punts on inexperienced unproven potential.

The irony is it's managers of Blanc's etc. calibre that increase the club's chances of turning those projects/punts into a big transfer payday by making them and their teammates better players through their coaching and knowledge of the game and raising their profiles through being part of a successful winning team!

Are guys like Blanc, Marcelino, Rebrov etc. willing to come and work under the constraints that exist at Celtic? Who knows......but surely it's better to ask them the question and get knocked back than meekly accepting defeat on the matter before we've even tried?
That pretty much sums it all up in four paragraphs. (y)

Wouldnt want any of they guys you mentioned

Members online

Latest posts

Back