9/11 2001 New York City

Can’t believe it was 17 years ago! I was 2nd year apprentice, fitting a house of windows in shawlands.. ended up working till 8pm as we say for hours with the customer watching as it happened. Bod bless them all YNWA

I had just left my job at a major airline after almost 30 years, 6 weeks prior to the catastrophic events of 9/11
I was asleep at 05:30 am when my mate in Melbourne called me shouting down the phone "Put the tv on !!"
I thought at first it was a Die Hard movie but it soon dawned on me, it was real
He was shouting "America is under attack !!"
I could not believe what i was seeing and his brother was due in from Australia to the US then coming up to us in Canada
He called me 10 hours later and all he said was "Hey, it's me, America is Shut !!"
"I'll see you, when I see you..."
He arrived two days later when the airport opened up again and he relaxed after a journey from hell for him
He flew out a week later to Glasgow where I joined him for a drink and we both went our separate ways, but not before the bank machine had ripped him off for $400, he got a receipt, but no money when he tried to withdraw funds
As he went into American Express to cash travellers cheques, I was reading the paper and when he joined me (after almost two hours in the lime up) I asked "So, who you flying on, back to Australia ?"
"Anesett"
I hand him the paper, where it stated Australian airline Ansett, ceased operations last night...
His face dropped and all he said was "Fuck me dead !!"
I don't thibk he ever left Australia after that
Was unbelievable to witness everything unfold for all involved in New York on that fateful day, victims, their families, first responders and search abd rescue dogs who were so impacted by 9/11
Even to this day, some first responders are dealing with the after effects of the Tower attacks
Sorry to be so long winded, just remember what/where I was that day

Back