A Familiar Face was Missing

As a pre-teenage kid at New Year I'd follow my father around the houses as he knocked on a door, shared drinks with neighbours and - being from Glasgow ( although living in the North )- shared his repertoire of traditional songs. The Celtic songs he kept for home, I never fully appreciated them at the time, but what I'd give to hear them again. The John Thompson Song was one of many he knew by heart. It's a culture we will lose but we were lucky to know it.
Lovely words Commo

Brilliant again Matt..The John Thompson song was the first Celtic song I learned as a kid, I used to get wheeled out at house parties by my Dad to sing my party piece, it was great a few of the like minded adults in the company usually gave me thrupence , then my voice broke and I was banished tae my room cause Adults were in. ☹.

Anyhoo...

Rest in Peace our Prince of Goalkeepers. 🙏🙏🙏
That’s several steps up from my party piece, which was By the blood that flowed from thee! 🙈

Received this message today...

Just been reading the article by Matt Corr regarding the tragic death of John Thomson on this day the 5th Sept.

In his article he writes about John Falconer taking over in goal for the next game at Celtic Park. Ironically the same John Falconer became a Rangers Director in later years while his brother and son Les Falconer were diehard Celtic supporters

Both were along with my father John Doogan founder members of probably the first Celtic supporters
Club in the East of Scotland shortly after the war.

Their passion for Celtic never wavered up until their deaths. In later years my father and Les
never missed a match home or away travelling all over Scotland up until my father's death in 1979. Their travelling companions were Dave Easton and Mowbray Dilger who made the journey for every game Saturday and midweek from Kelso in the borders for the best part of forty years.

My father was the only R.C. in the merry band.

Their commitment to the Celtic cause was total. I have a photo of all the founder members of the Edinburgh C.S.C taken at at John Thomson's grave in the early fifties.

My wife's aunt danced with Sam English in a ballroom im Edinburgh in the 1930s, he too deserves to be remembered none of the Celtic supporters of that period ever spoke ill of him.

Regards in Celtic

Neil Doogan.
Brilliant story. Love these anecdotes which enhance the original story.

Members online

Latest posts

Back