A few comparisons as we scream for new signings

I absolutely agree. I have been championing giving the youngsters a chance for years and it drives me mad that we are so poor at doing it. And I don't think this thing of making 9 changes for the first couple of rounds in the League Cup tells us anything either about the youngsters either. I'd rather that 1 or 2 of them were played alongside settled first teamers on a more regular basis - give them 25 minutes in games that are already won (especially this season with the extra subs).

I had posted earlier in the year that I thought Lenny would give the youngsters a lot more time on the pitch once the league was sewn up, but the bloody Covid put paid to that!

I really hope we change our strategy because otherwise there is a lot of amazing young talented wasting away which means we don't benefit from them and also it makes us less attractive to this young talent in the future.

I appreciate that these are minor complaints when set against us being 2 cup ties away from a 4th successive treble while going for 10IAR - we are obviously doing a lot more right than wrong with the way our club is being run.
You're always a champion on the noise BB ☘

Agree with you there and the reluctance of the lower league clubs to allow Celtic, sevco, hibs or let's just say the top 4 is incredibly unbelievable for it would benefit those smaller clubs financially and also our youth players (not only celtics but Scottish youth players) experience. It has to be the way forward with regards to giving youth a chance to play as we cant loan them all out. If they can do this in other countries outside the big 5 leagues like portugal for example then we can definitely do it here. I'm at a loss as to why the lower league clubs dont want it as the colts could never be promoted to the premier league and youd think it would also be beneficial for the likes of Edinburgh city , Montrose, forfar etc to play against the best youth players in the country for their own players development. The SFA/SPFL should impose it . So backwards its unbelievable then you remember that we are talking about Scotland here. All the jokes of how the Irish are daft stupid and backwards should now be applied to Scotland not ireland. We do at present have one but only one opportunity to play a colts side and that's thanks to irn bru and the challenge cup. If it's acceptable for that then what's the problem? I thoroughly believe that since the scrapping of a European place for the winners of the league cup, that is where we should blood our youth. Let's face it , apart from being part of the treble that cup is no longer relevant to a club like Celtic. It is to the rest but we dont need it and should field our youngsters there. Many may and have disagreed with me on this point saying that this cup , being the first honour of the season gives the winners impetus and confidence to kick on to better things during the season. I cant disagree with that point , still for our club , what exactly other than bragging rights (we hardly need those) does this cup give us? I'm unsure of the 2019 season but the 2017 seasons league cup winners took home a whopping £250,000 !! So given the amount of cash that Celtic have ploughed into Lennoxtown and the money we have spent bringing youngsters to Celtic , I mean £350,000 we paid for Luca Connell £100k more than winning that trophy is worth , shirley it is in our interests to go it alone even if need be and give them a chance in that cup coupled with the challenge cup ? I believe the majority of our support would agree with that sentiment and we get to develop our colts at the club without having to farm them out. Methinks HH
100% (y)(y)(y)

I absolutely agree. I have been championing giving the youngsters a chance for years and it drives me mad that we are so poor at doing it. And I don't think this thing of making 9 changes for the first couple of rounds in the League Cup tells us anything either about the youngsters either. I'd rather that 1 or 2 of them were played alongside settled first teamers on a more regular basis - give them 25 minutes in games that are already won (especially this season with the extra subs).

I had posted earlier in the year that I thought Lenny would give the youngsters a lot more time on the pitch once the league was sewn up, but the bloody Covid put paid to that!

I really hope we change our strategy because otherwise there is a lot of amazing young talented wasting away which means we don't benefit from them and also it makes us less attractive to this young talent in the future.

I appreciate that these are minor complaints when set against us being 2 cup ties away from a 4th successive treble while going for 10IAR - we are obviously doing a lot more right than wrong with the way our club is being run.
(y)(y)(y) Right on the mark BB

I think there's a very good chance we will see lots of opportunities for young players to get first team league experience this season but only if the full season is played and not until after xmas. There's a very good chance the only threat to the 10 will be from Hibs or Aberdeen by that point. And even if Sevco are still alive and cheating we all know they are xmas crackers who fall apart in the second half of the season. We could be so far ahead that we could field a team of kids for the last Glasgow derby of the season and still annihilate them.

I think there's a very good chance we will see lots of opportunities for young players to get first team league experience this season but only if the full season is played and not until after xmas. There's a very good chance the only threat to the 10 will be from Hibs or Aberdeen by that point. And even if Sevco are still alive and cheating we all know they are xmas crackers who fall apart in the second half of the season. We could be so far ahead that we could field a team of kids for the last Glasgow derby of the season and still annihilate them.
I would love it to be that easy but can't see it somehow

I would add to that though , when they old Glasgow rangers cheated/equalled our legitimate 9 the whole of the rest of the league almost without exception wanted them to do it. Now as we go for 10 surprise! The whole same cabal dont want us to do it, weve seen this already only a few games in , only Livingston have tried to turn up against them and got a point for their troubles . When things start going against them and we've played, won and caught up with our games in hand we will start to see the desperation and cracks appear slippy will be eehm blaming everyone else whilst taking full responsibility and we'll be going about our business as usual. The folly follyers will once more turn against him and want his head as they did after the 2 hearts and the Hamilton games , he got really lucky when covid19 hit as his future was definitely in doubt , he couldn't change things when required and will stick by Goldson as though Goldson is blackmailing him and that's but one of the reasons they will fall apart , they dont know how to win trophies and see things through , they dont have the players with experience of that whereas our whole squad is full of serial champions that know whats required and when, we have the winning mentality and nous they dont , like aberdeen reaching final after final to collect their runners up badge. Another reason why it's so important for us to use broony as sparingly as possible and knowing when we truly need him and not will be one of the defining factors. HH

I would love it to be that easy but can't see it somehow
Wouldnt we all but remember when they won for the first time at CP, there was lots of gloom and doom but in the cold light of day wed lost a game , 3pts. Cue mass hysteria from our very own pessimists and their deludamol addicts. Had we been able to complete that season theres no telling just how far out of sight wed have disappeared, already 13pts clear and with a good number of points still to play for (for us that is) I honestly believe that our post break form and results was so strong we wouldve finished 22-25pts clear and I'm not just dreaming we need to remember just how good we were upon return coupled with just how bad they were on return. The results they were posting were going backwards on brother pedro and the bread man, I may be wrong but I dont recall either of them or murty lose 3 consecutive games to the bottom 2 clubs can you ? They really were there for the possibility of Motherwell catching them their form was so terrible, meanwhile we just went about our business ( the business of winning) quietly efficiently and breathtakingly brilliantly, we hadnt seen that from Celtic for some time that stereotypical Celtic style and it was so sweet and no coincidence that Griffiths was playing up front with eddy it took them all by surprise and any club couldve parked , parks' fleet of buses on the goal line and still lost we were scintillating. I just hope for Griffiths sake that end of season form is enough to save his Celtic career cos hes definitely walking the plank as he should btw, want to play for Celtic? Aye? Get In line but be fit or forget it , plenty championship even some premiership clubs in England would have him but he then would always kick himself for not being there when we did it and when we needed him. Go make a bigger fortune or be remembered for a hundred years to come. It's not like were paying him peanuts .we need him back but on our terms same for anyone else. Going off point but it was that26+ was saying we could be out of sight, that's a possibility if results start going against them cos slippy will never have known pressure like it and they could like we saw last season simply implode and fall so far off the pace itll be back to fantasy football for them. Wouldnt that be just great 🙂

Last edited:
This is just my opinion but I think NL will be loathed to introduce younger players into the set up this season. The stakes are just too high for him personally, but this is where brave management should come to the fore. I think deep down he knows the end of a glittering career is almost upon Broony, but how the hell do you justify phasing him out during this season of all seasons?

Personally I'll be very surprised if he doesn't start Broony in at least 50 games this season which in my humble opinion will be at least 20 too many. We have a couple of options in that area now with Turnbull or Soro able to slot into the gap he would vacate. Either directly in Soro's case or through a moderate shuffle where CalMac would replace Broony and Turnbull slots in somewhere further upfield.

My own choice would definitely be the latter of those two.

Regarding the much bigger picture of the season itself, I reckon NL feels he's in a complete no-win situation.

He can play the tried and trusted guys and if the unthinkable happens and we come up short he can always say it would've been too much of a risk to try youngsters in such an important season.

If he plays too many young guns and the unthinkable happens then he's going to get absolutely slaughtered for not trusting the guys who got us to nine titles and 11 trophies on the spin.

In the end, you should live or die in any walk of life, or in any situation, by doing what you feel is correct. Now, this is only my opinion, but I really do believe that NL will bottle things in this regard because, as I mentioned earlier, I reckon he knows playing Brown too much this season is the wrong thing to do.

That's not me saying we won't win the league this season because NL will make bad decisions because we can look at last season's BetFred Cup Final to see that sometimes you can make poor decisions and still emerge a winner. But, for every BetFred Cup Final success, we can point to a Champions League failure like Ferençvaros.

THIS SEASON IS ABOUT GETTING THE BEST OUT OF EVERY SINGLE PLAYER WE HAVE ON OUR BOOKS.

That doesn't mean using the old guard as often as possible and hope they can get through another season without picking up too many injuries while producing their best week in week out.

Hes such an arrogant sew and sew that when he says that rubbish " EEEeeeeeaaashmyeah and if anyone has a problem with that I'll take responsibility for that and they can come and see me. As if hes up for a square go with his critics, problem for him is that when results start going wrong and they will the majority of his critics are the new, new, newcos own support . Matchday 8(2 saturdays away if the schedules unchanged is perhaps a potential banana skin for them and an opportunity for us we are at home to Livingston who wont be able to play stokes as a target man like dykes whilst they are away to hibs ) hibs currently top the away table at present so heres hoping that Dundee United are as up for it v them as they were against us and of course we take care of ross county in dingwall HH

This is just my opinion but I think NL will be loathed to introduce younger players into the set up this season. The stakes are just too high for him personally, but this is where brave management should come to the fore. I think deep down he knows the end of a glittering career is almost upon Broony, but how the hell do you justify phasing him out during this season of all seasons?

Personally I'll be very surprised if he doesn't start Broony in at least 50 games this season which in my humble opinion will be at least 20 too many. We have a couple of options in that area now with Turnbull or Soro able to slot into the gap he would vacate. Either directly in Soro's case or through a moderate shuffle where CalMac would replace Broony and Turnbull slots in somewhere further upfield.

Regarding the much bigger picture of the season itself, I reckon NL feels he's in a complete no-win situation.

He can play the tried and trusted guys and if the unthinkable happens and we come up short he can always say it would've been too much of a risk to try youngsters in such an important season.

If he plays too many young guns and the unthinkable happens then he's going to get absolutely slaughtered for not trusting the guys who got us to nine titles and 11 trophies on the spin.

In the end, you should live or die in any walk of life, or in any situation, by doing what you feel is correct. Now, this is only my opinion, but I really do believe that NL will bottle things in this regard because, as I mentioned earlier, I reckon he knows playing Brown too much this season is the wrong thing to do.

That's not me saying we won't win the league this season because NL will make bad decisions because we can look at last season's BetFred Cup Final to see that sometimes you can make poor decisions and still emerge a winner. But, for every BetFred Cup Final success, we can point to a Champions League failure like Ferençvaros.

THIS SEASON IS ABOUT GETTING THE BEST OUT OF EVERY SINGLE PLAYER WE HAVE ON OUR BOOKS.

That doesn't mean using the old guard as often as possible and hope they can get through another season without picking up too many injuries while producing their best week in week out.
I agree totally but also think Lennon is playing a little bit of cat and mouse games at the moment regarding team selection. It is the only way I can make sense of what he is doing. With the window open we have many players up for grabs and could be trying to protect and hiding them from potential buyers and a press that would like to cause unrest within our squad. Admit its a dangerous strategy to play with what is at stake this season. When you think we all have no idea how he will line up this weekend or what formation he will play will also mean how will the oppersition know and as we seen last time out we got better when we changed to the 3 at the back with 2 up top yet started with no strickers. I just believe that this is a ploy to keep the scum guessing as to how we will line out in the first game against them. I would be shocked if we went with only 1 up top as they found that easy enough to deal with. With home advantage and if Lennon gets it right on the day the pressure on Mr oh yeah will be enormous and the slippy fuck will behind the scenes blame everyone else except himself. We have by far the best squad and the best quality to unlock these tight packed defence but also think we may have to be a little patient until we deliver our full armoury upon the league but when we do there should be no stopping us for the 10iar and beyond
HH

Fair points K soro and Turnbull are here to play if they show they're good enough, they have obviously impressed or wouldnt be here. I also believe that lenny wont have the opportunity to play broony in 50 games not for 90 minutes at least for as fit as he is the younger bhoys are going to be fit also and if neither Turnbull or soro break into the starting XI even from the bench then huge questions will have to be answered as to why they are even here. I'd like to think that as much as broony wants to play every game he realises that it's not about him it's about us the supporters who make the club what it is. Theyve known one another for so long that they should be on a good level of communication, perhaps broony will take the decision out of lennys hands and say himself no gaffer not this one as we simply must get a look at these guys competitively it's an absolute imperative that we do sooner rather than later for should heaven forbid broony pick up a knock and at 35 and be out for 4 games and we still know nothing more than bounce game information on them then that I believe is a bigger risk. We must see these bhoys in the Jersey competing so we know can they be trusted in the hoops

Fair points K soro and Turnbull are here to play if they show they're good enough, they have obviously impressed or wouldnt be here. I also believe that lenny wont have the opportunity to play broony in 50 games not for 90 minutes at least for as fit as he is the younger bhoys are going to be fit also and if neither Turnbull or soro break into the starting XI even from the bench then huge questions will have to be answered as to why they are even here. I'd like to think that as much as broony wants to play every game he realises that it's not about him it's about us the supporters who make the club what it is. Theyve known one another for so long that they should be on a good level of communication, perhaps broony will take the decision out of lennys hands and say himself no gaffer not this one as we simply must get a look at these guys competitively it's an absolute imperative that we do sooner rather than later for should heaven forbid broony pick up a knock and at 35 and be out for 4 games and we still know nothing more than bounce game information on them then that I believe is a bigger risk. We must see these bhoys in the Jersey competing so we know can they be trusted in the hoops
I still have a sneaky feeling broony won't play the first old firm but that is still far to far down the line yet as a lot will happen between now and then. It is not easy to look over our shoulder but the focus has to remain upon what we do and keep our faith in Lennon as much as he may try our patience at times

Members online

Latest posts

Back