A little help on a chant

lcafiero

For a couple of months I've been trying to figure this out, and I would have rather avoided asking this one, like my last dumb question -- "What does COYBIG mean?" Which, of course, has been answered -- but I've been trying to figure out this chant for months.

It starts off pretty simple:

Celtic! (Celtic!)
Celtic! (Celtic!)
Come on you bhoys in green!
(Come on you bhoys in green!)
Glasgow . . .

And there's where I lose it -- I can't understand what is said after "Glasgow." Ridicule me all you want, but I'd like to know how this chant ends.

Hail Hail!

For a couple of months I've been trying to figure this out, and I would have rather avoided asking this one, like my last dumb question -- "What does COYBIG mean?" Which, of course, has been answered -- but I've been trying to figure out this chant for months.

Celtic! (Celtic!)
Celtic! (Celtic!)
Glasgow . . .

And there's where I lose it -- I can't understand what is said after "Glasgow." Ridicule me all you want, but I'd like to know how this chant ends.

Hail Hail!

Glasgow's Green and White
(Glasgow's Green and White)
Glasgow's Green and White
(Glasgow's Green and White)

OH OH OH OH OH OH OH
OH OH OH ON OH OH OH
OH OH OH OH OH OH OH
OH OH OH OH OH OH OH
OH OH OH OH OH OH OH
OH OH OH OH OH OH OH
OH OH OH OH OH OH OH
OH OH OH OH OH OH OH

(CHANTED TO TUNE OF YANKY DOODLE WHICH SHOULD BE DANDY FOR YOU) ?

HH?

Celtic! (Celtic!)
Celtic! (Celtic!)
Glasgow . . .

Hail Hail!

Now that Bill's fixed that for you, I hope when you get up for the game this morning you're ready to give it big licks. Never be shy in asking questions, no one will ridicule you big fella, I like the fact you show such an interest mate. Enjoy the game Icafiero.

Thanks, Bill, for the explanation. Now it makes sense.

(CHANTED TO TUNE OF YANKY DOODLE WHICH SHOULD BE DANDY FOR YOU) ?

I noticed that, too, and laughed aloud the first time I heard it. I am sure there is really no reason for it (or is there?), and fortunately that is a tune I kind of know :)

Thanks for the AV help, boab1916. That's one of the YouTube videos I had seen, along with many others (even a Charlie and the Bhoys video where they do the chant during a concert), when trying to figure out the "Glasgow" part of the chant.

I am going to have to keep it down, as it's 6 a.m. and I don't want to wake the household, but now I can chant along at home. Now if only my scarf would get here (I ordered it about two weeks ago) . . . .

Thanks, all!

Latest posts

Back