A new element of fans

Mancbhoy670

It was with sadness that I read NFL's comments on the new element of celtic supporters, well sorry Neil but if being able to see that a mgr has lost both, the plot and the dressing room makes me part of the new element, the I wear that title with pride. Now I might be one of the so-called entitled fans but as a supporter for 60 years I feel that I am "entitled" to an opinion when it comes to the club. When it is obvious that the people in charge of the club are the ones that truly belie the true values that the club was built upon then it is with a sense of sadness that I have to remind them that the club was founded as a charity for the benefit of the poor in the East end of Glasgow and not for the benefit of the board, but the values of those people are not about being a team that the people can follow but one of how much can I get at the trough of the board. They may like NFL believe that they are the only ones who have Celtic Fc at heart. In my opinion our ex-mgr has clearly shown that he is in fact incapable of rational self reflection. There were times I thought that we were a bit harsh in the treatment of him, but it is only too clear that his inability to reflect on his performance as our mgr in fact backs up a lot of the things we thought were his failings. We should be thankful for the effort he made and say thank you to him, but I'm sorry he's not a so-called legend. HH

No doubting Neil's achievements at Celtic and the regard in which he was held. However there has to be an acceptance that last season was completely unacceptable
Adding fuel to the fire when we are already at a low ebb. A poor show from Neil in my opinion...I would have hoped upon reflection he would have held his hands up for last season showing the supporters some understanding of the massive disappointed. Slating the supporters whilst bigging up DD and PL is so far off the mark. No wonder we are in such a mess right now. HH

Billy McNeil was a legend. Lennon couldn't lace his boots.
Lennon has just proved what I've known about him for a long time. He's an arsehole.
When he was playin for celtic he treated the younger lads at the club like shite. He was a bully.
Was it the supporters at hibs that caused him to fail there too?
He's failed to take responsibility for the mess he created at Celtic. But it wasn't his fault, it was the supporters putting unrealistic pressure on him and the team to win the 10. I can't stand the sight a the prick.

Billy McNeil was a legend. Lennon couldn't lace his boots.
Lennon has just proved what I've known about him for a long time. He's an arsehole.
When he was playin for celtic he treated the younger lads at the club like shite. He was a bully.
Was it the supporters at hibs that caused him to fail there too?
He's failed to take responsibility for the mess he created at Celtic. But it wasn't his fault, it was the supporters putting unrealistic pressure on him and the team to win the 10. I can't stand the sight a the prick.
strange as it may seem, I do not totally agree with you, but I do in a strange way.
NFL at one time could do no wrong, what happened, what changed since it seems to have been quick.
Bit like the bankrupt explaining his demise. "It started slowly then it happened all at once".
NFL, what happened and when??

Agree with docco that I'd like to see what he actually said and in what context. The Celtic support have been spoilt over the last 10 years and that's not a dig. We have been very lucky to witness what we have. That means that fans who were youngsters when the good times started have grown up with a team that has been unstoppable in Scotland....so in a way, yes, ofcourse there is a new element of celtic fans...a group of fans who don't know what it's like to suffer a season like this one. I hope somewhere in the full interview NL faces up to his shortcomings this season. And hopefully in time he will admit that he hung in there to long. Personally, for me, he has lost his legendary status. He cosied up to a board who appeared to be against the fans and he failed to put celtic before himself. That's just my opinion. I believe we will see the mark of the man in the coming months. If its obvious he won't be going back into management he, himself, will have to decide if he's willing to put the boot into celtic and their fans on a regular basis in the hope of gaining work as a pundit in the scottish media. Time will tell.

Agree with docco that I'd like to see what he actually said and in what context. The Celtic support have been spoilt over the last 10 years and that's not a dig. We have been very lucky to witness what we have. That means that fans who were youngsters when the good times started have grown up with a team that has been unstoppable in Scotland....so in a way, yes, ofcourse there is a new element of celtic fans...a group of fans who don't know what it's like to suffer a season like this one. I hope somewhere in the full interview NL faces up to his shortcomings this season. And hopefully in time he will admit that he hung in there to long. Personally, for me, he has lost his legendary status. He cosied up to a board who appeared to be against the fans and he failed to put celtic before himself. That's just my opinion. I believe we will see the mark of the man in the coming months. If its obvious he won't be going back into management he, himself, will have to decide if he's willing to put the boot into celtic and their fans on a regular basis in the hope of gaining work as a pundit in the scottish media. Time will tell.
Thanks for pointing out I'm turning 50 😳

It was with sadness that I read NFL's comments on the new element of celtic supporters, well sorry Neil but if being able to see that a mgr has lost both, the plot and the dressing room makes me part of the new element, the I wear that title with pride. Now I might be one of the so-called entitled fans but as a supporter for 60 years I feel that I am "entitled" to an opinion when it comes to the club. When it is obvious that the people in charge of the club are the ones that truly belie the true values that the club was built upon then it is with a sense of sadness that I have to remind them that the club was founded as a charity for the benefit of the poor in the East end of Glasgow and not for the benefit of the board, but the values of those people are not about being a team that the people can follow but one of how much can I get at the trough of the board. They may like NFL believe that they are the only ones who have Celtic Fc at heart. In my opinion our ex-mgr has clearly shown that he is in fact incapable of rational self reflection. There were times I thought that we were a bit harsh in the treatment of him, but it is only too clear that his inability to reflect on his performance as our mgr in fact backs up a lot of the things we thought were his failings. We should be thankful for the effort he made and say thank you to him, but I'm sorry he's not a so-called legend. HH
Agree to a point...but not a legend a bit harsh in my book .

Agree to a point...but not a legend a bit harsh in my book .

That's just my personal opinion. If this season hadn't happened then I'd say he was a club legend. I think he ruined it this season. As a player he seemed to sweat blood for the hoops and his 1st time as manager he did well for us, brought back the thunder. And when he left he appeared to be putting celtic 1st. It was widely rumoured that he wasn't happy with how the board were selling our top stars and downsizing. But he clearly returned as a yes man. And he refused to step aside when everyone could see he couldn't rescue the situation. It my eyes that puts a black mark against his name and takes away his legendary status. Each to there own ofcourse.

Entitled fans ,,,,,,, Celtic board in october

Real fans ,,,,,, Celtic twitter promo

Real supporters ,,,,,, Celtic twitter 3rd strip preview

New breed of supporters ,,,,lennon interview

Naw were feckin customers

there going out there way at acting the knt

There is no doubt the Covid virus affected last Season. Us more than most for some reason. Its a shame NL has chosen to come out and condemn the fans now. He now says he couldn't pick his own backroom staff yet also praises JK and GS and states they are bright young coaches. Well which is it?
He's said he tried different systems and formations, does he not think he may chosen the wrong ones for the opposition at the time? These are the decisions that make or break a season.
There was the recruitment issues. Barkas, Duffy, Ajeti, Klimala, brought in.
The latter two not trusted so why buy them?
Gordon, Lustig, Hayes allowed to leave yet could have been given another 12 Months, I'm sure if he had insisted they could have been kept.
Griffiths unfit, and Eddy seemingly having lost his desire, were surely his job to remedy as the Manager. Ntcham too.
There was Turnbull and Soro champing at the bit to get a game, yet they were benched until injury forced his hand. Even then Soro was still a regular bench warmer.
To come out and blame a few angry young fans for his shortcomings is pretty poor now imho.

I have no doubt Mancbhoy670 he definitely has the ability to reflect on his performances as our manager,what he seems to think is if he keeps deflecting the blame on to somebody else eventually his disastrous tenure at Celtic football club will be buried as deep in the sand as his head..
Maybe if he opens up and tells the fans who the real culprit of this disastrous season is then maybe he will find it in his heart to forgive himself for the catastrophe he has left behind..

HH

As an ''older'' supporter I feel that I am in as good a position to stick up for Neil Lennon as any on here .

I am every bit as disgusted at the season just passed as any ''new breed of fan''.
I am hurting as much as anyone in the GB or the Toddler Brigade or whatever you wish to call fan groups . We all are !

Neil is also hurting - he wouldn't be human if he wasn't . He has given a lot to Celtic - and suffered terribly for doing so and did not receive one iota of the sympathy from the media that Kamara got for allegedly being called a Fx*$"! .
That was shameful and did not reflect well on them or the football authorities who STILL do not take any action against the main perpetrators of hatred in our game ( nor implement the Financial Fair Play rules that are completely ignored down at Confetti Heaven )

For Neil to suggest that some fans are not real Celtic supporters ( that I think is the implication of his comments ) is too much .
Yes he was criticised for his failings as a coach , severely at times but supporting a football team is an emotional business .
Remember , Neil , you wanted to bring the 'Thunder back '' - well , that can bring lightning too when the storm hits - and by God it hit last season .

It was with a heavy heart that many supporters ( young and not so young ) called for a change of leadership - and NOT just after the Ross County fiasco . If you are honest with yourself , Neil , the signs were clearly there early in the season . You admitted yourself long before Dubai that some players were not at the races as far as commitment to the club was concerned .

We were all sad to see you go in such circumstances . But the supporters ire was NOT directed at you but at The Celtic Board who were ultimately responsible for allowing a bad situation in October to deteriorate into the fiasco of the second half of the season .
Even the players who were criticised for their poor attitude and lack of ''Thunder'' on the park were spared the real wrath of the fans .
The Board has , rightly , been the focus of fans' fury .

Neil is still too close to events and probably needs to allow the emotions ( and they are running high in everyone ) to die down and THEN assess what has been a traumatic year for all of us connected to the club.
Neil Lennon will always be regarded as a huge figure at Celtic - comparisons with other great figures is unnecessary and ill-judged at this time .

He was a courageous figure while at Celtic , as player and coach , and NO ONE has ever had to endure the scandalous abuse heaped upon him for simply being who he was .

He needs to be cut some slack now .

HH

Back