A Professional Insight - Channel 4's 'Watch this space' with Celtic Park photograph

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
Brave thing to write about Niall, good on you.
I cant help but think most of these investigations are a witch hunt, designed more to a) vilify an organisation and b) glorify the investigator, rather than c) help the victims.
I'm torn as to what outcome I want to see, I dont really see how financial compensation to victims makes anything better, is there really a monetary amount that compensates for a ruined childhood/damaged life? I dont think so.
Should Celtic FC be held responsible for wrongdoings of decades ago when surely nobody currently at the club was involved back then? I dont remember a witch hunt at the BBC after Saville was exposed.
The only solution for me is that the violators (if still alive) face the harshest of custodial sentences and the victims are properly cared for by society.
Anyway, as I said brave subject to take on Niall.

For Niall............

I, and at least one regular contributor, work in a similarish field.

What you, I, and many others know - is that these social anomalies don't always discriminate, and there are many examples I can cite where wealth has no bearing on circumstance.

Faith, religion, culture or creed has no bearing on these circumstances either. It simply comes down to the evil inside some folk and the carnage it consequently wreaks.

It is NOT a Celtic issue.........it is a societal condition that weaves its warped thread through every social and cultural caste.

Bad people should and need to be held to account. There is little support we can offer to any folk who have been subjected to any type of abuse, but it would be a dereliction of our duty to humanity if we didn't at least try.

Whatever comes to pass in Thompson's expose, I truly hope that he realises that the real story is in the failure of elected officials, court officers and general society to support and understand that group of folk who have had to live with the physical and emotional aftermath of abuse.

As a writer and a narrator, you have always had my respect, Niall. As a beacon of humanity, you have multiplied that respect tenfold.

Ab

Absoloute nailed it,.
I know that you are a modest man, Boab, and I'll try to protect that modesty. In saying that, it has to be mentioned that, like Niall, you yourself have served humanity well by the unrecognised work you have performed with a renowned sporting institution in Glasgow.

Many of the people you encouraged and supported were childhood victims of abuse and sought other avenues to obliterate the psychological devastation.

That group you were active within were not blinded by colour, creed, or religious persuasion, but neither did they use their status for self-promotion or a "scoop".

If Thompson has a point to make, I hope he makes it well. I hope it's not just another effort by the media to make hay in a finger pointing exercise.

Very sad reflection on some sections of society when instead of everyone coming together to try and get justice for past crimes and come up with answers as to how we can protect our kids in the future, there are peepul out there who would like nothing more than knowing kids may have been abused in one institution or another so they can take part in some kind of sickening point scoring exercise without an ounce of compassion for the victims.
There are people on this thread who have experience working with people who through no fault of their own, find themselves in terrible situations, they deserve our appreciation for the work they do, they know these problems are for society to deal with, it's a crime that due to lack of investment there's not enough help for everyone.
From a personal point of view if any club/institution or individual committed any crime they should be tried, and if found guilty feel the full brunt of justice.

For Niall............

I, and at least one regular contributor, work in a similarish field.

What you, I, and many others know - is that these social anomalies don't always discriminate, and there are many examples I can cite where wealth has no bearing on circumstance.

Faith, religion, culture or creed has no bearing on these circumstances either. It simply comes down to the evil inside some folk and the carnage it consequently wreaks.

It is NOT a Celtic issue.........it is a societal condition that weaves its warped thread through every social and cultural caste.

Bad people should and need to be held to account. There is little support we can offer to any folk who have been subjected to any type of abuse, but it would be a dereliction of our duty to humanity if we didn't at least try.

Whatever comes to pass in Thompson's expose, I truly hope that he realises that the real story is in the failure of elected officials, court officers and general society to support and understand that group of folk who have had to live with the physical and emotional aftermath of abuse.

As a writer and a narrator, you have always had my respect, Niall. As a beacon of humanity, you have multiplied that respect tenfold.
Thank you SP very kind words indeed, they genuinely mean a lot to me. I agree with everything you have written and I too hope that is exactly how Channel 4 report it. I am actually hopeful, as bar that misguided tweet, I have had nothing but respect for Alex Thomson as a journalist. I can't think of many I'd rather handled the subject matter and gave it the attention to details it deserves.

Brave thing to write about Niall, good on you.
I cant help but think most of these investigations are a witch hunt, designed more to a) vilify an organisation and b) glorify the investigator, rather than c) help the victims.
I'm torn as to what outcome I want to see, I dont really see how financial compensation to victims makes anything better, is there really a monetary amount that compensates for a ruined childhood/damaged life? I dont think so.
Should Celtic FC be held responsible for wrongdoings of decades ago when surely nobody currently at the club was involved back then? I dont remember a witch hunt at the BBC after Saville was exposed.
The only solution for me is that the violators (if still alive) face the harshest of custodial sentences and the victims are properly cared for by society.
Anyway, as I said brave subject to take on Niall.
Thanks Hoopy. The argument around responsibility is a tough one. If safeguarding measures are taken and the issue still arose then there is little evidence of culpability, however if warnings are ignored or survivors claims not investigated then there are arguments for not taking thise responsibilities seriously enough.
Teachers at schools are taught early 'In loco parentis' In the place of a parent. That when that child is handed over to their care and that parent goes to work that they have a responsibility to protect. If(a bif if legally) they are negligent then punsishent and repercussions are required. It is an essential part of avoiding it re-occurring. As is compensation. If there is culpability and especially over a period of time then that survivor is somewhat damaged to say the least. Compensation is not supposed to make up for what happened, rather what was lost as a result. A lost education leads to lost career opportunities and therefore earning opportunities, mental health issues, inability to make and develop personal relationships. Compensation doesn't fix that but it compensates for having that denied to them through no fault of their own.
You are quite right though there are always vultures circling in such circumstances-a sad fact of life. The focus should be on the survivor and how they are helped going forward, genuine witch hunts help no-one but scrutiny of practices and whether genuine care was taken should be taken into account.

A brilliant piece from Niall although a tough read, please do read it though.

A brilliant, well thought through article. Definitely worth everybody's while to read it right to the end.

Thank you SP very kind words indeed, they genuinely mean a lot to me. I agree with everything you have written and I too hope that is exactly how Channel 4 report it. I am actually hopeful, as bar that misguided tweet, I have had nothing but respect for Alex Thomson as a journalist. I can't think of many I'd rather handled the subject matter and gave it the attention to details it deserves.
Niall, here's the real kicker and a nod to that intangible ingredient that distinguishes those very special humans amongst us.

In your chosen profession, there is no doubt that you have had to support and protect the interests of the abused. The real sting in the tail, is that you have likely also had to uphold the civil and human rights of abusers too.

We cannot offer redemption.

We cannot provide forgiveness,

We do not condone their actions, yet neither can we absolutely condemn them either. In some cases, the abusers are re-enacting the cycle of abuse which was perpetrated against them also. That's what makes this subject such an explosive one and an area where everyone has to tread very carefully.

There are pieces of work which I have to perform that leave a nasty stain upon my soul. I would rather not have to deal with these issues, yet without our involvement - there is a clear and present danger that abusive behaviour may escalate further.

It's the ultimate catch 22 situation, but we can sleep a little easier knowing that our involvement may have helped to protect others.

I cannot pretend that it doesn't constantly niggle at my conscience, but for as long as the law determines that these people have rights, then I guess it's a part of the job I just have to get on with.

Scum is scum
Very true, but when the scum go "off the grid", then they are a ticking timebomb waiting to explode.

These scum also display a remarkable aptitude for manipulation and can also be surprisingly charming. The tabloid stereotype and photofit does not always apply and what Niall can likely testify to, is that homeless people can almost go unnoticed in certain areas and that ability can give them an unlimited amount of access.

To be sure, scum truly is scum, but if we are serious about tackling the problem, then we have to be able to observe, monitor and record their movements and behaviours.

Niall, here's the real kicker and a nod to that intangible ingredient that distinguishes those very special humans amongst us.

In your chosen profession, there is no doubt that you have had to support and protect the interests of the abused. The real sting in the tail, is that you have likely also had to uphold the civil and human rights of abusers too.

We cannot offer redemption.

We cannot provide forgiveness,

We do not condone their actions, yet neither can we absolutely condemn them either. In some cases, the abusers are re-enacting the cycle of abuse which was perpetrated against them also. That's what makes this subject such an explosive one and an area where everyone has to tread very carefully.

There are pieces of work which I have to perform that leave a nasty stain upon my soul. I would rather not have to deal with these issues, yet without our involvement - there is a clear and present danger that abusive behaviour may escalate further.

It's the ultimate catch 22 situation, but we can sleep a little easier knowing that our involvement may have helped to protect others.

I cannot pretend that it doesn't constantly niggle at my conscience, but for as long as the law determines that these people have rights, then I guess it's a part of the job I just have to get on with.
I think in both our careers we see the absolute dregs of what society offers and the depths of depravity the mind can go to and then act upon, yet also the strength of the human spirit to overcome and even on some occasions forgive. That is the special bit, the rewarding part.
Just when you think you’ve experienced it all something lands on your desk or someone rings your phone and the boundaries are pushed further still.

As you say there are things that tear me apart- ‘stain your soul’- was a very good description but years of experience allow me to compartmentalise things. I have spaces to put things and I can balance it all, find ways to escape and in the main switch off when I have too. To date anyway.

I’m sure you’ve worked with colleagues as I have that it simply broke. Good people exposed to it all too often. I and I’m sure you will have come close too.

“We cannot offer redemption.

We cannot provide forgiveness”

That sums it up. Great words to choose. At the end of the day what needs to be, within the parameters we are set must to be done by someone and in the main I get fulfilment from it and I can still look myself in the mirror.

The people we want to help far outstrip those we have to help and they deal with so much worse than my moral gymnastics. I get closer and closer to a career change every day. I’ve done this for 15 years, I won’t have another 15 in me and then I’m hooked back in.

I have a clichéd response to those on my case list and those I work with and I say it to myself several times a week. One foot in front of the other. That’s what survivors do every day. If they can do that I’ll clock in every day and help the best I can, whatever shit the law tells me I have to do on top, it’s a price worth paying.

HH-SP. Keep the faith. Keep believing.

I think in both our careers we see the absolute dregs of what society offers and the depths of depravity the mind can go to and then act upon, yet also the strength of the human spirit to overcome and even on some occasions forgive. That is the special bit, the rewarding part.
Just when you think you’ve experienced it all something lands on your desk or someone rings your phone and the boundaries are pushed further still.

As you say there are things that tear me apart- ‘stain your soul’- was a very good description but years of experience allow me to compartmentalise things. I have spaces to put things and I can balance it all, find ways to escape and in the main switch off when I have too. To date anyway.

I’m sure you’ve worked with colleagues as I have that it simply broke. Good people exposed to it all too often. I and I’m sure you will have come close too.

“We cannot offer redemption.

We cannot provide forgiveness”

That sums it up. Great words to choose. At the end of the day what needs to be, within the parameters we are set must to be done by someone and in the main I get fulfilment from it and I can still look myself in the mirror.

The people we want to help far outstrip those we have to help and they deal with so much worse than my moral gymnastics. I get closer and closer to a career change every day. I’ve done this for 15 years, I won’t have another 15 in me and then I’m hooked back in.

I have a clichéd response to those on my case list and those I work with and I say it to myself several times a week. One foot in front of the other. That’s what survivors do every day. If they can do that I’ll clock in every day and help the best I can, whatever shit the law tells me I have to do on top, it’s a price worth paying.

HH-SP. Keep the faith. Keep believing.
In the dark days, the one constant was, is, and will always be Celtic.

I've often pondered "The Cause" and what that cause actually is.

I once thought it to be a reference to our cultural roots, but it is a lot more complex and textured than that.

I sincerely believe that "The Cause" is something more than words can describe. It is something which sets us apart from others, but brings all of us together at the same time. It may not seem to be directly related to the topic of discussion; however - it gives me a sense of hope that everything is going to be alright and Celtic have become my safe space.

I remain relatively philosophical and upbeat by nature, but I would be a liar not to admit that I have almost reached my breaking point on several occasions. As you very astutely point out, I have seen good folk broken into bits by the work we have undertaken and it's no secret that our friend in Donegal was haunted by the evil that men and women do.

I content myself with the knowledge that there are good folk like yourself who keep getting into the ring for one more round; however - I would be more than happy for you to pursue a career in writing. Not only on all things Celtic, but also in highlighting the social taboos and stigmas that constantly surround us.

For as long as I know that there are folk like yourself fighting the good fight, then I'll always keep believing that things can be better. I like a wee punt, Niall, and I tend to play the numbers game when marking my coupon. I still believe that the numbers are in favour of the good, but I am also aware that the odds can be overturned if complacency kicks in.

I know we'd rather be discussing more positive aspects of life, but it is our willingness to face the the tough topics that will hopefully see us all prevail.

Wonderful piece Niall.
The issue of child abuse is talked about over and over again on hun blogs but only to condemn Celtic F.C. in the hope that historic cases linked with the club, destroys it.
They have no conception of what their glib chatter does to those who have suffered at the hands of depraved adults and furthermore there will be many victims among their own who were preyed upon by their own.
Let's hope that Celtic do the morally correct thing even if it is financial compensation but more importantly take steps to ensure nothing like this can happen again.
Those who don't understand that child abuse is a societal problem and not a Catholic problem are ignoring the fact that children are most often abused by someone they know, usually a family member. Let's hope the blinkered blue noses are looking out for their own children instead of being obsessed with Celtic going bust..................something that will never happen.

Members online

No members online now.

Back