A proper news report

Docco

I know it's an oldie but i always enjoy reading it...most of it still rings true nearly 100 years later

"On the terracing at the Dalmornock end on Saturday there was congregated a gang, thousands strong, including the dregs and scourings of filthy slumdom, unwashed yahoos, jailbirds, night hawks, won't-works, 'burroo barnacles', and pavement pirates, all, or nearly all, in the scarecrow stage of verminous trampdom. This ragged army of insantitary pests was lavishly provided with orange and blue remnants, and these were flaunted in challenge as the football tide flowed this way or that. Practically with out cessation for ninety minutes or more, the vagabond scum kept up a strident howl of the 'Boyne Water' chorus. Nothing so designedly provoking, so maliciously insulting, or so beastially ignorant has ever been witnessed even in the wildest exhibitions of Glasgow Orange bigotry.....Blatantly filthy language of the lowest criminal type assailed the shocked ears of decent onlookers. There was no getting away from it, chanted as it was by thousands of voices in bedlamite yells. The stentorian use of filthy language is a crime against the law of the land. Policemen lined the track and listened to the hooligan uproar, yet nothing was done to stop it. The scandal was renewed with increased violence in London Road after the match. Is it possible the blue mob can do just anything and get away with it? Prompt official steps were taken to suppress and prosecute the green brake-club lads who dared to sing 'The Dear Little Shamrock' in Paisley Road. Yet thousands of foul-mouthed and blasphemous Orange ruffians are free to run amok over the East End of Glasgow. How do you account for it?"

Glasgow observer, 1921

I know it's an oldie but i always enjoy reading it...most of it still rings true nearly 100 years later

"On the terracing at the Dalmornock end on Saturday there was congregated a gang, thousands strong, including the dregs and scourings of filthy slumdom, unwashed yahoos, jailbirds, night hawks, won't-works, 'burroo barnacles', and pavement pirates, all, or nearly all, in the scarecrow stage of verminous trampdom. This ragged army of insantitary pests was lavishly provided with orange and blue remnants, and these were flaunted in challenge as the football tide flowed this way or that. Practically with out cessation for ninety minutes or more, the vagabond scum kept up a strident howl of the 'Boyne Water' chorus. Nothing so designedly provoking, so maliciously insulting, or so beastially ignorant has ever been witnessed even in the wildest exhibitions of Glasgow Orange bigotry.....Blatantly filthy language of the lowest criminal type assailed the shocked ears of decent onlookers. There was no getting away from it, chanted as it was by thousands of voices in bedlamite yells. The stentorian use of filthy language is a crime against the law of the land. Policemen lined the track and listened to the hooligan uproar, yet nothing was done to stop it. The scandal was renewed with increased violence in London Road after the match. Is it possible the blue mob can do just anything and get away with it? Prompt official steps were taken to suppress and prosecute the green brake-club lads who dared to sing 'The Dear Little Shamrock' in Paisley Road. Yet thousands of foul-mouthed and blasphemous Orange ruffians are free to run amok over the East End of Glasgow. How do you account for it?"

Glasgow observer, 1921
Nothin's changed then?

Glasgow observer, 1921
So true now as it was then😞😞

I'd imagine, in 1921 Scotland, anti-irish racism would have been a lot more prominent and a lot less frowned upon, than in todays society, to some extent. Was this the days of no blacks, no Irish, no dogs signs on shop doors?
Anyway, the integrity and sheer bottle of the reporter to produce a piece like that in those days, where, if he was to be attacked, the overall consensus would be he brought it on himself.
He puts today's Scottish journalists to shame. They know exactly what is going on in todays society.
I don't, for a second believe they are all huns. But through fear and other reasons, they chose to remain silent.

I'd imagine, in 1921 Scotland, anti-irish racism would have been a lot more prominent and a lot less frowned upon, than in todays society, to some extent. Was this the days of no blacks, no Irish, no dogs signs on shop doors?
Anyway, the integrity and sheer bottle of the reporter to produce a piece like that in those days, where, if he was to be attacked, the overall consensus would be he brought it on himself.
He puts today's Scottish journalists to shame. They know exactly what is going on in todays society.
I don't, for a second believe they are all huns. But through fear and other reasons, they chose to remain silent.
The Glasgow Observer was a catholic newspaper, it ceased publication in 2020 as the Scottish Catholic Observer

Back