A transfer, clickbait, football news of any kind & in general just whats on your mind thread

b25lY21zOjNmMjM1OWNmLTQ5YTEtNDYwMy05ZmRkLTM3NzFhNDQ5NzU1YzoyMWUwMzZkOS0zYzNiLTRkNTgtYTQ0NC0wNmNlYWFlYjA5MjU=.jpg

Van Veen has been excellent this season. As has Shankland at Hearts.

But I still would not be against bringing in Duk from Aberdeen as a back-up striker (not popular with many other Celtic fans, I know, but he has speed, skill and physicality, plus can score goals in Scotland with much less service than he'd get with us).
He also came through the ranks at Benfica with jota ( Duk) if he's still at Don's by the time the window closes I'll be stunned.

He's a winger right? Might be wrong on that but if he is and with the rumours surrounding Abada, Maeda as well as the rest of our squad but wingers just now , I wouldn't be against giving him a crack at it.

One thing though, as good as he is and his stats, record achievements in the game etc mean nothing unless he passes the Ange test foremostly.

No big deal, no trick questions just " are you a decent , humble, trustworthy guy who will run through brick walls for your teammates?

Anybody that can score 30 goals in this league is worth taking a punt on, wouldn’t imagine he cost over £1 million and he’d probably be on less than £2k a week, age is just a number, if we don’t buy him the Huns will, and I’d bet you he’d score against us, he’s dangerous and I’d rather he was in green and white, than blue, shankland a duk aren’t anywhere near as good as him…….why do we have to sell on every player we buy?
He might be able to do that for Motherwell BB just as Boyce did for Ross County that won him a move to the mighty brewers, Burton Albion.

At 31 there's no sell on value, and aye you're right we don't have to sell on every player Hart probably falls into that category but we needed a top goalie.

Is Van Veen better than what we have or can get?
That's really the question here.

I believe for 90 mins he is but can his body ( being unused to the stresses) placed on it at training at Lennoxtown handle it?

I just don't see it happening, that would put him 3rd in line for the one striker slot.

Financially he might be up for that but is that the kind of player we want?

Needs to have a word with his agent , i think he would be a better player staying on with us for a few years and gaining european experience he's not the end product yet
No he's far from it Kelly he has all the talent and ability in the world but the consistency isn't there.

To be a " finished article" at CP you have to do it everytime you step onto the field, that's not happened he's posted missing too often.

He could claim he needs more game time but Ange reckons our training sessions are tougher than most SPL games.

His agent wants the dosh, not about what's best for Liel.
He should stay and learn at the Harvard/Yale of fitba'

He might be able to do that for Motherwell BB just as Boyce did for Ross County that won him a move to the mighty brewers, Burton Albion.

At 31 there's no sell on value, and aye you're right we don't have to sell on every player Hart probably falls into that category but we needed a top goalie.

Is Van Veen better than what we have or can get?
That's really the question here.

I believe for 90 mins he is but can his body ( being unused to the stresses) placed on it at training at Lennoxtown handle it?

I just don't see it happening, that would put him 3rd in line for the one striker slot.

Financially he might be up for that but is that the kind of player we want?
On a better team than Motherwell, where he's given the opportunities, it could be a world of difference
Even for one season, he'll have something to prove to everyone who mentions his age (means nothing) some say 'age' I say 'experience'
In order to get into the CL group stages, we need to win the Premiership
He's proven that he can score goals, so if it comes to pass, I'll reserve judgement on anyone coming in

Last edited:
Anybody that can score 30 goals in this league is worth taking a punt on, wouldn’t imagine he cost over £1 million and he’d probably be on less than £2k a week, age is just a number, if we don’t buy him the Huns will, and I’d bet you he’d score against us, he’s dangerous and I’d rather he was in green and white, than blue, shankland a duk aren’t anywhere near as good as him…….why do we have to sell on every player we buy?
Good points, well made.

Remember when Motherwell player Michael Higdon won POTY? He was a big battering ram upfront and banged in the goals in the SPL. I always thought Celtic should have taken a chance on him. He would’ve scored loads of goals for us.
I think he left after he won POTY. No idea where he went or what happened to him.

Good points, well made.
It’s the upcoming champions league games, playing every Saturday, Wednesday takes it out on players, kyogo, is a brilliant player, but he gets injured, that shoulder is a concern, you being a medical person knows one you’ve poped it out, it just keeps coming out all the time, the jury is still out on oh, he’s only scored 4 goals this Season, (not good enough IMO) there’s no one else to lead the forward line, if kyogo gets injured, the Motherwell guy is a no brainer for me, if you look back to Martin o’neil’s team there was 3 quality strikers all capable of hitting 30 goals a season, larsson, Sutton and hartson,

We NEED Van Veen in playing in the hoops next season, 30 goals playing in a mid table Motherwell team, playing in an attack minded team like us who knows what his tally could be….. 40?

It’s the upcoming champions league games, playing every Saturday, Wednesday takes it out on players, kyogo, is a brilliant player, but he gets injured, that shoulder is a concern, you being a medical person knows one you’ve poped it out, it just keeps coming out all the time, the jury is still out on oh, he’s only scored 4 goals this Season, (not good enough IMO) there’s no one else to lead the forward line, if kyogo gets injured, the Motherwell guy is a no brainer for me, if you look back to Martin o’neil’s team there was 3 quality strikers all capable of hitting 30 goals a season, larsson, Sutton and hartson,

We NEED Van Veen in playing in the hoops next season, 30 goals playing in a mid table Motherwell team, playing in an attack minded team like us who knows what his tally could be….. 40?
Yeah a season or two at Paradise being fed by the cracking players we have he could rack up a few goals.
I still like Oh and I think if he started games regularly his strike rate would be better. Kyogo is still our number one though. There's no one like him in the league at all but as you say, we have to be prepared for injuries.

Remember when Motherwell player Michael Higdon won POTY? He was a big battering ram upfront and banged in the goals in the SPL. I always thought Celtic should have taken a chance on him. He would’ve scored loads of goals for us.
I think he left after he won POTY. No idea where he went or what happened to him.
Well, thanks to the miracle of Transfermarkt.com, here's where the good Mr. Higdon has been since . . .

Not a bad run for the guy.

Well I agree with what seems to be a majority here that he's worth a punt if that punt is £1million though that's a number we're just throwing around since there's been no enquiry or it would be in the Albanian presidential newspapers sports section as " must read".

I agree that Oh hasn't hit the ground running in the way Kyogo and Giakoumakis did but tbf and tbh he's a lot younger than both and has the experience of neither.
Can't be forgotten that had Kyogo not been injured Giakoumakis would have unlikely took part in the games he did never mind finish joint top goalscorer with Reegan Cook.

Personally I'm pretty satisfied with his contributions so far given his limited game time, more importantly so has Jurgen Klinsmann and Ange.

I may be wrong on this but think Oh has had 16 appearances and scored 4 goals for the club including the 1 start hes had.
Thats not a bad return at all 4 goals ( however old that data I'm quoting is it won't be far out if it's wrong).

I'm not against the punt on him not at all, I am by default ( this all being hypothetical) wary of such a deal.

Wary because for starters he requires Kyogo to not start which in turn , should he start in his place puts Oh behind him ( in the punters heads at least) what kind of message does that give the young South Korean who fought tooth and nail for this move?

Thankfully I'm not responsible for such decisions.

Like those who've made good solid viable reasons why we should make the punt, I'm still cautious on its possibility.
Flashback: Nadir Ciftci:

I mean , ( hang on punter hat off FIFA PS4 managers hat on for a minute) where has he been?
Why now?
Has he been applying himself to the game in the way hed be required to at Celtic?
if yes then why has it taken so long to appear at this level?

Couldve been injured possibly or hes had the sesson of his life, sitting 8th/12 at Motherwell nothing to play for bar top scorer and kyogo will win that , 3 ahead 4 to play.

Well he's been at Motherwell ( my intense knowledge of football stats and Google 🤫 tell me) since 2021.

Why has it taken him til now to turn up?
Must be there ALWAYS for Ange should
he take a punt as "we never stop".

Onefootball app shows he's scored 36 in 79 appearances for Well, impressive as is his 18 in 67 for Scunthorpe, not far off 1goal in 4 games.

Screenshot_20230512_004607_OneFootball.jpg

Celtic can make or break a player as we've seen many times before, some are strong enough to cope with not cutting it here but others sadly are not as we read about time and again.
Players who wished they'd stayed , but as liam Gallagher say⁶s " you only get to do it once " some really talented get second chances and those special players get three chances , I should say one special player as Leigh Griffiths is the only person I've ever known to get THREE chances and still blow it what a waste and different story.

If Van Veen gets a move to Celtic I'll be surprised , very surprised.
Look at this list of the last top goal scorers in the SPL going back 20 years.

We sold last seasons top scorer for a profit but couldve made more sure , Charles Reegan Cook, is he still with Ross County?
Liam Boyce , good instinctive predatory striker £750k from County to Burton, a lot of cash for both clubs County's biggest sell Burtons biggest buy but injury ruled him.out for about 6 month when he was in the best form in his life and couldn't get back to it.

Couldve/should've cashed in on French Eddy when his value was higher ( though Godknows where that wouldve left us at the time ( season before he left ).
Two seasons in a row SPL top goalscorer got him a move to Crystal Palace ( cheers agent smith, tosser) .

My point here is that top scorer here obviously doesn't register as much as it should around Europe, mind the nonsense about henrik and how his goals only amounted to a percentage of goals in the top 5 leagues?
Still scored enough to beat their dodgy system,which was something like if you play in the top 5 divisions you get ( or got, its probably more rigged now)

La Liga or EPL, any of the other 3 , one goal =1 pt.
Not in wee sconny Botland ( oops did I say that backwards ? No idea why? 🤔

You have to go way back ( see on the list) to Henriks move to Barcelona to find an SPL top goalscorer who went on to bigger and better things.

Sorry Odsonne but Crystal Palace don't count as I'm sure you're well and truly aware of by now, moneys great though eh?

Pity you can't be adored and paid all that cash, greedy barsteward I swear some people are never happy with their lot.

Last edited:
Read earlier today that we are taking a look at Ryotaro Ito
If true, he looks 'useful'
Hat trick in this game
Mind you, the header from the first guy is a staotir, look at the height he climbs to
This name 'Ito ' I've heard before with regards to Celtic, unless Ito is the equivalent of Smith, Brown, Murphy and O'Neil in Japan?
Probably is and a totally different guy 😆

Ito take some mair details to convince me😛

Van Veen is worth a punt, especially if he wins the SPFL Player of the Year :cool:
I've watched the J League before, and there's some right good players there
It's getting them to come to Scotland that's the problem, but with Ange at the helm, that's the difference these days
But, we'll see how it all pans out
It's a waiting game

Members online

No members online now.

Back