A Wee bit of Music Nostalgia ..Post it here

The 70s was before my time really, I was just a kitten, but I honestly think that era was as good as music got, the Beatles moved things on massively in the 60s but what Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd etc did in the 70s is unsurpassed imo, until Bros raised the bar in the 80s obviously 🙄

The 70s was before my time really, I was just a kitten, but I honestly think that era was as good as music got, the Beatles moved things on massively in the 60s but what Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd etc did in the 70s is unsurpassed imo, until Bros raised the bar in the 80s obviously 🙄
Spot on hoopy but it was the sixties that really rocked the music industry imo.
The Who, Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Motown…procol harem, but shsss don’t mention Tom Jones shite.
The homeboys podcast are on the now and they are just brilliant 🍀so night night 🍀🍀

Just watched a concert with Lady Gaga (I'm a big fan of Gaga, a voice like no other) and Tony Bennett, for Tony's 95th birthday! And Tony was stood up singing his balls off, he sounded fantastic and he's 95! On yerself T!

The 70s was the high point in music, never been surpassed there was a few reasons for it..

In the 60’s recording techniques were still in its infancy there was only 4 track recording machines, groups virtually recording songs “live”
The Beatles Seminole album St Peppers was recorded by linking two 4 track machines together, ground braking stuff in its day
the electric guitar/bass was only invented in the 50s, effect pedals didn’t come along till the late 60’s distortion, chorus wah, wah etc, guitarists like Hendrix, Clapton and Page were taking it to unseen levels, up till then the clean tremolo sound favoured by Hank Marvin was as good as it got

Along comes the 70s recoding was being refined, the invention of the 24 track recording machine opened up a whole new world, musically, artists could now “layer” instruments and change the sound, volume and tone individually, the synthesiser was invented, you could “minic” and orchestra, people like Mike oatfield, Jon Michael jarre, playing all the instruments themselves, bands spent months in the studio, instead of days, songwriting and musicianship reached a pinnacle

along came the 80’s the synthesiser was improved, bands started doing away with “traditional “ instruments/ drums etc, electronic music came to the fore, musicians still used to write songs

along came the 90s sequencers, sampling and loops became popular, with decade started the decline in music, “artists “ started sampling/stealing snippets of older songs then adding they’re own lyrics over the top, this was the law suit decade
Producers like stock, aitken and waterman started to write songs to a formula churning out bland hit after hit like a production line,

along came the 2000’s then Simon cowel took over and the music died……

Last edited:
The 70s was the high point in music, never been surpassed there was a few reasons for it..

In the 60’s recording techniques were still in its infancy there was only 4 track recording machines, groups virtually recording songs “live”
The Beatles Seminole album St Peppers was recorded by linking to 4 track machines together, ground braking stuff in its day
the electric guitar/bass was only invented in the 50s, effect pedals didn’t come along till the late 60’s distortion, chorus wah, wah etc, guitarists like Hendrix, Clapton and Page were taking it to unseen levels, up till then the clean tremolo sound favoured by Hank Marvin was as good as it got

Along comes the 70s recoding wea being refined, the invention of the 24 track recording machine opened up a whole new world, musically, artists could now “layer” instruments and change the sound, volume and tone individually, the synthesiser was invented, you could “minic” and orchestra, people like Mike outfield, Jon Michael jarre, playing all the instruments themselves, bands spent months in the studio, instead of days, songwriting and musicianship reached a pinnacle

along came the 80’s the synthesiser was improved, bands started doing away with “traditional “ instruments/ drums etc, electronic music came to the fore, musicians still used to write songs

along came the 90s sequencers, sampling and loops became popular, with decade started the decline in music, “artists “ started sampling/stealing snippets of older songs then adding they’re own lyrics over the top, this was the law suit decade
Producers like stock, aitken and waterman started to write songs to a formula churning out bland hit after hit like a production line,

along came the 2000’s then Simon cowel took over and the music died……
I agree with most of your comments BB. However much as I think some of the music churned out these days is pure dross, I try never to sound like my father. If the youngsters today are enjoying their time half as much as I enjoyed mine...then that means I enjoyed mine twice as much as them.
My own music collection reflects the fact that I come from a big family ,( seven brothers and seven sisters ) and so I grew up listening to whatever was the flavour of the time. My father was a gifted musician, able to play a number of instruments. These factors combined to widen my own taste to the point my collection covers most genres. I have a huge collection and absolutely love all of it. Sorry for the length of post. Music is a great passion for me.

I agree with most of your comments BB. However much as I think some of the music churned out these days is pure dross, I try never to sound like my father. If the youngsters today are enjoying their time half as much as I enjoyed mine...then that means I enjoyed mine twice as much as them.
My own music collection reflects the fact that I come from a big family ,( seven brothers and seven sisters ) and so I grew up listening to whatever was the flavour of the time. My father was a gifted musician, able to play a number of instruments. These factors combined to widen my own taste to the point my collection covers most genres. I have a huge collection and absolutely love all of it. Sorry for the length of post. Music is a great passion for me.
15 kids?? Your dad wasn't only a talented musician Frank! 😳

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back