AIK (0) v Celtic (2) - Thursday 29 August, Europa League Play-off 2nd leg - all comments here

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
If Celtic score then we should be home and dry in this tie. Watching Rosenborg last night gives us an idea of how AIK will approach this game. The key is not to concede early as we are prone to doing in European away days. Then it will be hiding behind the sofa stuff. Odsonne Edouard and James Forrest though are our big game goalscorers so hopefully we'll be fine.

No new arrivals so far to board the plane for Stockholm is disappointing. Why promise then fail to deliver?

Prediction? 1-1.

What do you guys think?

Was very surprised the way AIK played at Parkhead, sat in n didn't seem interested in attacking at all. Hopefully that had more to do with how we played. Expecting a more attacking display from them as they pretty much have to, which will give more space for Jamsie n Mikey.
Looking for a goal in first half to ease things but fully expecting to lose one ourselves.

2-1 win would do nicely with no dramatics. Jamsie playing better than I've ever seen him n big Eddy to secure Euro interest for us.

'Mon the 'Tic ?

Expecting another 2 nil for Neil and the (old) bhoys ?.

Anywhooooo trying to second guess we Neil's team these days is akin to picking an argument with Mrs Shades you know yir ideas are sound, but she's going to baffle you with her thoughts on it ?.

So here goes,.

Craigie,

Hammy Chris Kris Boli.

Jamsie, El capitano, Calmac, Ollie, Corpus

Wannabe .

Jamsie And Boli to score.

H.H ?

Agree winter watching them just now an both teams are bang average. We need to get behind the team now but feels like a definite missed opportunity just like last year. There's no excuses for going into these games without giving yourself the best possible chance it's utterly demoralising and really quite unbelievable that we didn't learn from last year. Signing a good quality left back and we could of had a real chance at CL. That's all it would of took. But anyways AIK tomo think it'll be a score draw 2-2 HH.

If ever you wondered about the power of psychology just remember the history of Celtic playing away from home in Europe time and time again like they are a pub team. Players who have great talent mysteriously develop feet of clay. This is not due to a drop in fitness. It is not caused by a lack of tactics. It arises in the top two inches of 11 players brains. It's the difference between subconscious doing at home and conscious trying away. Trying is not doing. They are trying a tactical pattern of play away from home that they are not accustomed to. The All Blacks tend to play the same way home and away. They are World Champions.

If Celtic score then we should be home and dry in this tie. Watching Rosenborg last night gives us an idea of how AIK will approach this game. The key is not to concede early as we are prone to doing in European away days. Then it will be hiding behind the sofa stuff. Odsonne Edouard and James Forrest though are our big game goalscorers so hopefully we'll be fine.

No new arrivals so far to board the plane for Stockholm is disappointing. Why promise then fail to deliver?

Prediction? 1-1.

What do you guys think?
I think we will score, but, your right honourable captain defence is key.
0-0 st half time and a 1-0 win for us com the ninety minutes. Hope NL doesn't drop Broony for Ntcham and Bambi ( Bitton gets called Bambi in oor hoose) disnae morph into Ambrose.COYBIG.
Corpus for MOM.

Well Celtic play really lame in most away games.The philosophy we have adopted is that we must maintain the score and sit back.I don't understand why we play good when only in our home.Against mediocre or tough teams we dont give 100%
AIK is a very predictable team, I don't care how they ll play. Celtic have to win 4-0

Agree winter watching them just now an both teams are bang average. We need to get behind the team now but feels like a definite missed opportunity just like last year. There's no excuses for going into these games without giving yourself the best possible chance it's utterly demoralising and really quite unbelievable that we didn't learn from last year. Signing a good quality left back and we could of had a real chance at CL. That's all it would of took. But anyways AIK tomo think it'll be a score draw 2-2 HH.

Aye sean I think had we played bolinggoli at lb, the position he was signed to play in or even Hayes or ralston then we could've kept the shape of the team. I don't want to harp on forever about shoehorning ntcham into the side ( something I believe was done to put him in the shop window) he could've come on at some point from the bench when we were in a position of strength. As good a player calmac is , at lb he's too small and is targeted as we saw losing out in the air. Still i prefer to look on the positive side now. One more decent result away later this evening and we'll be back in the group stages. It may be the Europa but the quality of clubs in this tourney is a much higher standard at group stage than in the past due to uefa stitching up the champions league group stage for the big 5 league's clubs. All those qualifiers clubs must play and at the end only 6 actually get to qualify due to this ridiculous rule. I'm confident that we will make it but not writing AIK off yet even though they are probably the worst Scandinavian side I've seen us play, or at least their performance at cp was, I think they bottled it. They can't play worse than that and I'd have preferred another goal for if they take the lead were under pressure. Still we have bags of quality and I just pray that lenny doesn't underestimate them (sure he wont) however with our next game after at greyskull I'm sure we will see some rotation in the side perhaps bayo starting with eddy on the bench , Gordon back in goal but fraser for Sunday. Who lenny chooses to sit out with Sunday in mind will be really interesting and something I'll be keeping an eye on for sure. This could be a game we see shved also. I'll go for 2-1 Celtic or 1-1 mon the hoops HH

Last edited:
Hmmm, stick or twist tonight? Do we go for it and try and kill the tie off, or do we play safe and keep it tight at the back? Well we know what happened against Cluj. NL admitted he wanted a 2 goal cushion and that backfired in our faces. I say keep it tight, try and hit them on the break. They have GOT to attack in numbers and that will leave gaps at the back for us to exploit. I'd take a 0-0 though, lets frustrate the life out of them.

Hmmm, stick or twist tonight? Do we go for it and try and kill the tie off, or do we play safe and keep it tight at the back? Well we know what happened against Cluj. NL admitted he wanted a 2 goal cushion and that backfired in our faces. I say keep it tight, try and hit them on the break. They have GOT to attack in numbers and that will leave gaps at the back for us to exploit. I'd take a 0-0 though, lets frustrate the life out of them.

We can’t stick, our defence isn’t good enough. We need to play to win.

Not only will the result of this game decide whether we progress to the group stages of the Europa Cup, it will decide if we make any decent additions to the team. Then again knowing how tight PL is, it might not. A 1-1 or 2-2 draw

Back