Ajer the long term replacement for our Captain Broonie?

CarlisleReiver

We all know that Ajer is the real deal, a player so young that has everything in his locker (Thanks Ronny) but are we seriously waisting his talents playing him at the back?
His history is of a central midfielder but it was BR would thought he would be a good centre back and sent him to Killie to learn his trade.
However, after seeing the big man play and play well at left back against the Romanian and the Swedish Champions you can see the young man has everything in his locker to play virtually every position?
What I did notice last night, is that Ajer seemed to be really enjoying playing at left back due to the attacking side of the game that our left backs have to play. You can tell he loves attacking and has good feet and strength.
Now the question is, is he a better midfielder? I think yes, I think the big Norweigen is wasted at the back, he talents are wasted big time. The bigger question I ask, is can he replace Broonie as our Captain when he retires? I think absolutely, last night I actually thought that Ajer looked and played like Viera of the invinsible Arsenal team, tall, strong, good passing, determined, great tackling, box to box and could score (I think this would come playing midfield).

If we are wanting to rest Broony for a few extra games this season then it could make sense to play Ajer in the middle to add a bit of pretection and steel in the middle.

....................GK.....................
Elhamed Julien Simo Boli
...................Ajer.......................
Forrest Calmac Christie Johnstone
...............Edward

Ajer looks one of the most reliable Celtic right backs I can easy recall. Great talent and looks the complete package as a player, so talented and physical he could play any position to a decent standard, so enjoy him while we can.
As the sad reality is that PL will have had his had simple calculator out estimating the Ajer return for the bottom line and his own kudos / bonus.

Now to be fair that's part of PL's job! looking at and planning the team value! but the reason why PL is a overpaid over hyped not a credible good director is, we know that he does not and almost certainly will not be putting much credible effort into planning for the next Ajer!

We only got Ajer by default chance of Ronny, a PL 'low cost imagined' bargain manager Ronny! there should be zero credit for PL in Ajer!

PL's limited business sense is perfectly highlighted by the sale of KT which in itself while traumatic for fans, financially could have even should have made sense, but it did not because unlike the spin by Lenny, we clearly did not actually have a back up plan,.
What we had and still currently have is just a simple bottom line self serving kudos bonus plan, backed up all too often if not a consistent last minute panic signing 'supposed strategy' and worse still last minute loans with no option to buy that usually make zero financial sense, not the signs of a business guru, just one who rides fortune created by others.

Well done the Green brigade for keeping the pressure up for 'our club'.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Gone back to this post, Ajer has come under quite a bit of criticism of late for his defending.

The high press, which better teams are deploying against us, is working at disrupting our game. We can't just keep doing it, something has to change (we can't replace every one).

We have bought Soro, not sure if it's a long term replacement for Brown, but is it time to get Ajer playing higher up the pitch?

He is still learning to play at centre half, his perfectly timed challanges far outweigh the few mistimed ones that's been highlited.
He's been exceptional for us as we have been for him. He reminds me of Aitken when he strides forwards and you can see opposition teams shite themselves when he does.
Don't think we could fit him in midfield although he could play there no question n hopefully Soro can play Broonys position in the long term.

Love the big fella n hopefully we can keep him for years to come

If we are wanting to rest Broony for a few extra games this season then it could make sense to play Ajer in the middle to add a bit of pretection and steel in the middle.

....................GK.....................
Elhamed Julien Simo Boli
...................Ajer.......................
Forrest Calmac Christie Johnstone
...............Edward
I would leave him at CB as he has been developing a partnership with Julie. I think Bitton could do a turn in Defensive Midfield with Calmac as our next captain.

I personally think as of now at the club Ajer is the only candidate who could come close to what Broony brings to the team in that midfield position.
Project players don't seem be progressing quick enough to be staking a claim in his position.
Maybe Soro will be the one.

You need more than fire in your belly. I think his recent bad form has seen him needing rested, but we don't have anyone to do come in which means he plays. My problem with the big guy is it's the same errors he makes continually. I think he would benefit from having another good CB breathing down his neck and learning from. I don't think he has a natural CB instincts, he is weak on his left side which he needs to work on. I love his attitude and love of Celtic but the bottom line is we need better if
3 5 2 is to work and we want to progress in Europe. I hope he improves, because he needs to. I agree there isn't a stand out to be captain.

Members online

Latest posts

Back