An Accident Waiting All Summer to Happen

What's really worried me is that Lenny seems oblivious to the primary mistake he made, which was to play CalMac at left-back. He claimed that McGregor played excellent as left-back, but while I'm not interested whatsoever in criticising him for playing out of position, Cluj were getting success down the left or from the left time and time again.

Lenny claims he put CalMac in at left-back in order to fit in Ntcham and as many 'technicians' as possible in midfield - the harsh reality now is that if he wants to do this, and I don't necessarily disagree with the basic logic of it, he can't sacrifice arguably our greatest technician and stick him out at left-back. In truth, and we have to really cast our minds back to last season when Broony was out of the team and we went on a rampage scoring 20 goals in 4 matches, beat RB Leipzig and won the league cup, if Lennon wanted the best technicians in the team last night, Brown should've been sacrificed.

For me, the core midfield should be McGregor-Ntcham-Christie.
(y)

No-one said you are not entitled to your opinion, but apparently we are shite according to your posts it's we are doomed mentatility nearly every post. You have to give a bit of credit occassionaly we are fucking still alive and kicking thanks to a bit of prudunce, bigger mega millionaires have cashed in and failed, maybe sometimes the best players don't live upto the price tag,but we cannot just keep replacing the batteries if the bulb is fucked and won't switch on.

I’ve never said we were shite. I said our defence was shite. It is.

Just to be clear, Neil Lennon had probably his worst night as a Celtic manager last night, maybe that surrender up at Inverness at the end of his first season the first time around comes close but last night was worse - and he has to take and be given the blame.

I had no idea when writing the article last night on the supporters bus behind the Jock Stein Stand, the reason why Bolingoli was dropped and Callum played at left back. To get Ntcham in the team. There was merit in that and also in changing the goalkeeper and I wrote about this yesterday afternoon on The Celtic Star. Gordon in goals, Christie wide and Ntcham at number 10. During the game at 2-1 and 3-2 I was screaming to get Bitton on to shore up the defence.

As for the penalty, it was poorly hit, Bain went the right way and will feel surely he should have saved it. That's how I saw it anyway.

McGinn waited all summer to sign. Eventually he left and so did Rodgers - who took all the blame - and Lawwell even got £9m compo.

A master stroke from him and Lenny won the Treble then got the job. But Mr Control Freak is very much running the show.

We need the debate to see if there should be action

Good luck with that idea ,the groundswell opinion on Res12 was move on not interested .

Lawwell has shafted us for years and supporters have did nothing ,the days of celts for change are gone and even in those days the met with resistance from other supporters groups

The time to show some balls was at season ticket time and nobody would give that chance up

it's season 9 they knew they would have a sell out they knew they could short change us , and they know next year if it goes our way they can do it all over again

It's the Celtic way

They've got the season ticket money ,what we as fans do know matters not a jot

Just to be clear, Neil Lennon had probably his worst night as a Celtic manager last night, maybe that surrender up at Inverness at the end of his first season the first time around comes close but last night was worse - and he has to take and be given the blame.

I had no idea when writing the article last night on the supporters bus behind the Jock Stein Stand, the reason why Bolingoli was dropped and Callum played at left back. To get Ntcham in the team. There was merit in that and also in changing the goalkeeper and I wrote about this yesterday afternoon on The Celtic Star. Gordon in goals, Christie wide and Ntcham at number 10. During the game at 2-1 and 3-2 I was screaming to get Bitton on to shore up the defence.

As for the penalty, it was poorly hit, Bain went the right way and will feel surely he should have saved it. That's how I saw it anyway.
watch Bains leg if he had not took a step back he would have saved it ,

We both agree we had the resources to win last night and didn't due to bad management and some players not performing as expected (this is the case for every match - it is always won or lost on the pitch and not in the boardroom, but that is not to say it doesn't influence the outcome). I was kind of hoping to have a better team available than to just win the 3rd round UCL qualifying round. This is achievable within our budget!

I brought up the McGinn saga purely because you complained about Broony not being dynamic.

I too prefer the more dynamic midfield and also think it is a good idea to play defenders in their correct position.

Yes, and I think it's very easy with hindsight to look back at John McGinn and think the bizarre events of last summer that led to him not coming to us was a huge disaster that we still haven't recovered from - I disagree with this take, while also agreeing that McGinn obviously would've been a cracking signing. But, despite knowing Lenny isn't going to do this, knowing that we have the capabilities to in my mind drastically change the midfield by not playing Brown in there is a small light among the darkness. Lenny said he wanted to build the team around Brown, which I can partly understand due to his character and what he means to the players and the club in general, but we need to be moving forward. Sacrificing CalMac in midfield before Brown was, as everyone agrees, a genuine embarrassment tactically. What a way to make CalMac feel loved. Thing about him is he'd play everywhere and never publicly moan about it.

I hope Lenny is just giving it some bravado, as if he can't realise that McGregor playing left-back is a titanic fuck up, we truly are going to be in for a torrid season. I have a sneaking feeling, save some grand disaster, we won't be seeing CalMac at left-back again this season.

Yes, and I think it's very easy with hindsight to look back at John McGinn and think the bizarre events of last summer that led to him not coming to us was a huge disaster that we still haven't recovered from - I disagree with this take, while also agreeing that McGinn obviously would've been a cracking signing. But, despite knowing Lenny isn't going to do this, knowing that we have the capabilities to in my mind drastically change the midfield by not playing Brown in there is a small light among the darkness. Lenny said he wanted to build the team around Brown, which I can partly understand due to his character and what he means to the players and the club in general, but we need to be moving forward. Sacrificing CalMac in midfield before Brown was, as everyone agrees, a genuine embarrassment tactically. What a way to make CalMac feel loved. Thing about him is he'd play everywhere and never publicly moan about it.

I hope Lenny is just giving it some bravado, as if he can't realise that McGregor playing left-back is a titanic fuck up, we truly are going to be in for a torrid season. I have a sneaking feeling, save some grand disaster, we won't be seeing CalMac at left-back again this season.
Agree with all this Sam, except needing hindsight to think McGinn would be a good addition to the squad (and actually lengthen Broony's career too if handled well).

I’ve never said we were shite. I said our defence was shite. It is.
Maybe defending begins from the front middle and back, if we want to have attacking full backs then its only right midfield know how to defend also, the cluj goal in Romania was the fault of the midfield 6 players not one tackle and Boli was blamed, fucking shocking, if they want to let a guy shoulder the blame then they can all fucking hang their heads in shame. To many players only too happy to let a guy carry the can.

Maybe defending begins from the front middle and back, if we want to have attacking full backs then its only right midfield know how to defend also, the cluj goal in Romania was the fault of the midfield 6 players not one tackle and Boli was blamed, fucking shocking, if they want to let a guy shoulder the blame then they can all fucking hang their heads in shame. To many players only too happy to let a guy carry the can.

He wasn’t on last night and thecdefence was still shite. He wasnt the problem, he just isn’t good enough to help solve it. That’s the problem,

watch Bains leg if he had not took a step back he would have saved it ,
I thought he could have saved it...but 100% of the blame lies with Brown for again losing his man and panicking.....anyone else would never pull on a jersey again...abysmal display

Watched recording of the game in early hrs of today, playing Calmac at LB was so Lennon could accommodate more technicians in the team(pre match interview on Radio Scotland) So the formation & tactics didn't counter Cluj's high pressing, counter attacking game.
I
Lack of replacements for defensive player who left at end of season, add tae that central defenders having a mare, our captain having a mare & Lenny having a mare. Result the perfect nightmare, also dont know what scouting was done prior to the match, but it clearly didn’t get passed on tae the team.

Celtic are a big club, with the best fans in the world, but our player recruitment is shocking

For me a manager has to be detached from the emotion during a game.....game management was called for at a critical time in the game and it didn’t happen.....that’s one thing the man who betrayed us was mainly good at.....I recall when we went to 10 men at Mordor and he brought on Edouard and he tweaked the midfield to suit.....it won us the game.....I totally agree that Bitton should have been brought on to steady things.....when you get your nose in front especially in Europe later on in the game then that’s the time to tighten things up and pick them off on the break.....especially the type of game that it was.....it was crying out for it.....we have the pace and the forwards to do this.....sadly it wasn’t to be

I have to put my hand up and say that since the Bunnet I have ben a PL admirer, as for me I never want to see Celtic anywhere near that situation again. However. The money that has flowed into the club in the last 5 or 6 years through Champions League and big transfers has got to be well over 100 million and now have to accept that there is a barrowload of cash that has to be sitting there and the Directors should come out and tell us what their plans for the club are. There is no reason that we have all this money and are not a Champions League team. Not every player that plays regularly on the CL is woth the crazy money that goes in the epl. There has to be plenty of those players that we could get for the 10 or 15 mil. and move us up to the required standard. I just hope that all these millions have not been frittered away on bonuses and share dividends

I have to put my hand up and say that since the Bunnet I have ben a PL admirer, as for me I never want to see Celtic anywhere near that situation again. However. The money that has flowed into the club in the last 5 or 6 years through Champions League and big transfers has got to be well over 100 million and now have to accept that there is a barrowload of cash that has to be sitting there and the Directors should come out and tell us what their plans for the club are. There is no reason that we have all this money and are not a Champions League team. Not every player that plays regularly on the CL is woth the crazy money that goes in the epl. There has to be plenty of those players that we could get for the 10 or 15 mil. and move us up to the required standard. I just hope that all these millions have not been frittered away on bonuses and share dividends
spot on aroona,the fan's (customers:mad:!) invest and support the club any which way we can, all we want to know is, what's our ambition and what steps we're taking to get there, none of this seat of yer pant's pish! Hail Hail!

One constant- Control freak, know it all, de facto Director of Football Peter Lawwell....

https://thecelticstar.com/celtic-3-cluj-4-accident-waiting-all-summer-to-happen/

you captured a really disturbing face of rage on Lenny and a bit of a concerning image considering his very recent reported losing the plot dressing room rage outs at Hibs, looks like he is about to burst blood vessels.
Capture2.JPG

Of course any Celtic fan was upset at what was going on (his tactics and selection mind) and all managers go a bit mad now and then, but it's professionally controlled.
Modern effective managers know anger and raging is not any way to manage people, they know it not only looks unprofessional but it has at best a limited shelf life and creates resentment!
Screaming raging is always pointless unless you are in self control and your tactics are understood and direction has been voluntarily bought into.

No adult of any worth is impressed by rage, extremely unlikely any super fit modern pro player is remotely scared of or would buy into screams and tantrum directions from anyone.
Hope and assume he had learned by now you don't get things done like that anymore or can hope to create a professional team spirit in the 21st century by screaming and acting like a roy keane pyscho or a old Lenny for that matter.

He needs to act more like Rodgers, looking relatively cool and calm regardless of result as that core principle is the logical better method of managing human beings to best effect, regardless of group or aim.

Last edited:
Back