An Gorta Mór

It was with great pride that it was my co who made and supplied the an gorta mor memorial at carfin grotto,
Just a pity that only one will be commissioned as i am sure each entry was driven by the same emotion and feelings when designing and this should be acknowledged, this was not a famine this was ethnic cleansing and claiming of land with least resistence to fight, you cannot march or fight on a hungry stomach.

Just watched the movie Black 47 about the famine.
Shocking, disgusting and moving. The famine were not an accident it were a deliberate act of genocide.

Just watched the movie Black 47 about the famine.
Shocking, disgusting and moving. The famine were not an accident it were a deliberate act of genocide.
Bang on what were they exporting, whats in the sea, what wildlife lives in the hills. Cannot own a horse or a gun, would have been shot if fishing or poaching.

And doctrina
Very appropriate that it gets sited in the Calton, an great amount of people,including my own stayed at or near the Calton when they came over...people then spread out across the city and elsewhere. Hope it gets done.
Frank i am still in the Calton. two Generations i knew of.

I remember Brian Cox the actor saying his family were Irish and went to Dundee...Cox was not his name, it was changed by the British after some trouble in his home town...but the main thing he said was...it was a helluva coincidence that there was a so called famine in Ireland at the same time as the demand for cheap labour on the mainland was at its peak.... They killed so many people just to get the rest of them over here to built the infrastructure on which their empire depended on. Went into St Marys today...said a prayer for our people.

Boab... all the best to you in the Calton...my daughter did a check for me and it went away back but yes the Calton was the first address and St Marys as well for marriages, births etc....so very proud of that link

Boab... all the best to you in the Calton...my daughter did a check for me and it went away back but yes the Calton was the first address and St Marys as well for marriages, births etc....so very proud of that link
I was married in Saint Marys and yes all births from my family present and deaths past also was in Saint Marys, i ran St Marys Guild football team and knew Tommy Burns, as he presented the medals . I have been down in the crypt were the priests are rested to this day and viewable, all died from the illnesses rife due to the conditions of the families they served. Forbes street is named after one of them and the Hall was originally called Rose Street, names changed with landlords and land ie Orr street would be someone probably called Orr at the time. HH and cheers for the interest.

original hall were it all began with Walfrid, enjoy and pass on, the man himself TB chanting his heart out in his spiritual home, the Calton, and in the front row Cesar if you can spot him from the side.

Loved the lady singing with the Glasgow 'vibrato', it brings back memories of my folks and the house parties. :)
These are people we will never probably see the likes of again, real entertainment pub scene, TB never knocked a night out in the Calton, he ffrequented the Cottage bar in the Calton to draw raffles etc, was really an opportunity for him to sign a song, was a good man was TB.

These are people we will never probably see the likes of again, real entertainment pub scene, TB never knocked a night out in the Calton, he ffrequented the Cottage bar in the Calton to draw raffles etc, was really an opportunity for him to sign a song, was a good man was TB.
A good and lovely man indeed, Boab and that old adage "only the good die young" springs to mind.

Members online

Latest posts

Back