Ange

Fisiani

It has been often said that the manager makes no passes nor scores any goals. Jock Stein took a squad of Glasgow players to European glory. Brian Clough took a struggling no stars Nottingham Forrest to European Glory. What both of them possessed was intelligence, social intelligence and leadership. They knew which players needed a kick up the backside and which ones needed an arm on their shoulder. They were respected and listened to. They turned 11 players into a team where the whole was greater than the individual parts. This is a complex process of social psychology. What I have seen of Ange in Australia and Scotland is inspiring. Is there a single fan who does not regard this seasons success as the product of Ange's hard work? What changes in football ability has Ange brought about in Joe Hart? Tony Ralston? Juranovic? CCV? Starfelt? Taylor? Calmac? O'Riley? Hatate? Rogic? Bitton? Jota? Kyogo? Maeda? Abada? and Gio to name but a few. (apologies to the unnamed players) We have seen small clips of Ange in training sessions and it was impressive. I do not know how he has improved the backroom staff but I suspect he has. Ange is steeped in football. He lives and breathes football. He knows if we score more than the opposition then we win. If we go behind against a Rangers or a Hearts our heads do not go down. We score more. We never stop. We never rest. We play as a team. There is something about Ange that explains the man. He grew up often being told that he was second best. That he would never achieve greatness. He wants to prove to Australia and the world that he is right. He has a policy of recruiting staff who share his philosophy. He has 15 weeks to take Celtic to another level. You ain't seen nothing yet folks.

Ange has already achieved more in football than any other manager from Australia. He was the manager of the national team and took them to the World Cup. No Scottish manager has done so since 1990. He wants not only to win the league but for Celtic to entertain. O'Reilly's goal after 41 one touch passes is an example. He knows that if we win our 3 home games in the CL then we will have 9 points which might be enough to qualify. That would be my dream. He knows that requires a better team than we have at present. Every recruitment needs to be better than the incumbent. Let's assume that we sign up CCV, Jota and Maeda on a contract. How many hamstrings have gone this season? How many red cards will be given? Our opening game last season against Hearts had very few players who were first choices by the end of the season. I suspect the same might happen next season. Trebles are never a given. I expect us to be too good for Scotland and dream that we could make an impact in Europe.

It has been often said that the manager makes no passes nor scores any goals. Jock Stein took a squad of Glasgow players to European glory. Brian Clough took a struggling no stars Nottingham Forrest to European Glory. What both of them possessed was intelligence, social intelligence and leadership. They knew which players needed a kick up the backside and which ones needed an arm on their shoulder. They were respected and listened to. They turned 11 players into a team where the whole was greater than the individual parts. This is a complex process of social psychology. What I have seen of Ange in Australia and Scotland is inspiring. Is there a single fan who does not regard this seasons success as the product of Ange's hard work? What changes in football ability has Ange brought about in Joe Hart? Tony Ralston? Juranovic? CCV? Starfelt? Taylor? Calmac? O'Riley? Hatate? Rogic? Bitton? Jota? Kyogo? Maeda? Abada? and Gio to name but a few. (apologies to the unnamed players) We have seen small clips of Ange in training sessions and it was impressive. I do not know how he has improved the backroom staff but I suspect he has. Ange is steeped in football. He lives and breathes football. He knows if we score more than the opposition then we win. If we go behind against a Rangers or a Hearts our heads do not go down. We score more. We never stop. We never rest. We play as a team. There is something about Ange that explains the man. He grew up often being told that he was second best. That he would never achieve greatness. He wants to prove to Australia and the world that he is right. He has a policy of recruiting staff who share his philosophy. He has 15 weeks to take Celtic to another level. You ain't seen nothing yet folks.

We are miles away from applying sports psychology at this incredible level. The most important part of a great footballer is not what is between the feet but what is between the ears.
I don't want to disagree for the sake of disagreeing, but implementing psychology in sport seems to be largely dependent on using cognitive skills to make rational and logical decisions - when in truth, the best players I have seen generally make impromptu decisions which defy logic and reason?

I think there's another factor that makes it difficult to employ sports psychology in football, and that is based on the premise that footballers aren't the most blessed in the 'brain' department and attempting to influence that particular organ may be a wasted exercise.

In fact - there is almost a psychopathic approach applied by top talent that would not necessarily be curtailed by any branch of psychology.

As for Ange, I believe that he is a man of principle, but his track record also suggests that he feels that there is a 'shelf-life' for any manager at any one club.

Hopefully, we will have Ange at the helm for at least the next two seasons and as you know, sports psychology is a huge innovation in Antipodean sport. Now that Ange has imprinted upon the players, I'm sure he'll now be looking to apply phase II of his plan, by utilising sports science and sports psychology to further develop the team.

Last edited:
The best piece of sports Psychology is to understand that TRY means to fail. Players must never try. They must do.
‘Try’ is a quite common word.
Unfortunately, no matter how hard they try to relax they discover that their anxiety intensifies and worsens. They often try as hard as they can to slow their breathing or try to distract themselves but they inevitably become worse and more anxious.
You may have spent a long time in the past trying to slow your breathing; trying to be positive; trying to calm down and trying to relax.
You will always fail to relax if you have such thoughts. The reason for this common failure is a simple language linguistic trap. Essentially the word TRY does not mean what you have always thought it means even throughout all your life you have probably tried your best.
What exactly does the word TRY mean?
TRY is a common word in the English language. You may have always thought of TRY as an incredibly positive word. All your life you have been told to try. You have been told to try hard, to keep trying – to try and try again until you succeed.
All though our early years I feel sure that you were told to TRY your best. TRY to do well and TRY to get good results. TRY to get a good job. TRY to find a partner. TRY to have a family. TRY to have a happy life. You may have been told that if you do not TRY then you will not and cannot possibly succeed. That if you do not TRY then you will fail.
It will probably come as a surprise to learn that the subconscious mind always recognises the word TRY as being a negative word. To the subconscious mind, ‘TRY’ means ‘fail’ or at least the possibility of failing.
I would go as far as to state that the three-letter word TRY is the single greatest sabotaging word in the entire English language. Nor is it confined to the English language: ‘TRY’ has an equivalent word in every other language on the planet.

The best piece of sports Psychology is to understand that TRY means to fail. Players must never try. They must do.
‘Try’ is a quite common word.
Unfortunately, no matter how hard they try to relax they discover that their anxiety intensifies and worsens. They often try as hard as they can to slow their breathing or try to distract themselves but they inevitably become worse and more anxious.
You may have spent a long time in the past trying to slow your breathing; trying to be positive; trying to calm down and trying to relax.
You will always fail to relax if you have such thoughts. The reason for this common failure is a simple language linguistic trap. Essentially the word TRY does not mean what you have always thought it means even throughout all your life you have probably tried your best.
What exactly does the word TRY mean?
TRY is a common word in the English language. You may have always thought of TRY as an incredibly positive word. All your life you have been told to try. You have been told to try hard, to keep trying – to try and try again until you succeed.
All though our early years I feel sure that you were told to TRY your best. TRY to do well and TRY to get good results. TRY to get a good job. TRY to find a partner. TRY to have a family. TRY to have a happy life. You may have been told that if you do not TRY then you will not and cannot possibly succeed. That if you do not TRY then you will fail.
It will probably come as a surprise to learn that the subconscious mind always recognises the word TRY as being a negative word. To the subconscious mind, ‘TRY’ means ‘fail’ or at least the possibility of failing.
I would go as far as to state that the three-letter word TRY is the single greatest sabotaging word in the entire English language. Nor is it confined to the English language: ‘TRY’ has an equivalent word in every other language on the planet.
You still trying that try one doc 🤷😂.

Too many Star Wars movies me thinks.

Members online

Back