Anniversary of Big Jock (R.I.P)

Me, my dad and brother, were driving to Spain when this happened...we were listening to the match on a very crackling BBC world service and as the game came to a close, we pulled into a service station somewhere in the south of france to get a better reception and it was then that we could properly hear what was happening....... utterly devastating and needless to say, our car for the remainder of the journey was a sombre place to be....RIP Mr Celtic

Before the game, "if you're ever going to win the European Cup, then this is the day and this is the place. But we don't just want to win this cup, we want to do it playing good football-to make neutrals glad we won it, glad to remember how we did it"
After the game, " There is not a prouder man on Gods earth than me at this moment. Winning was important, aye, but it was the way we won that has filled me with satisfaction. We did it by playing football. Pure, beautiful inventive football. There was not a negative thought in our heads. Inter played right into our hands; it's so sad to see such gifted players shackled by a system that restricts their freedom to think and act. Our fans would never accept that sort of sterile approach. Our objective is always to try win with style"
HH

Just on another note........

Jock Stein should have been regarded as the single biggest unifying force in this divided country.

He denied his protestant privilege and realised that many of Scotland's social problems could be sourced to the scourge of bigotry and sectarianism.

By willingly crossing the divide, he defied his family and his birthright, but he never spited a protestant for how he himself was betrayed and ensured that both Celtic and Scotland would be represented by the finest that this country had to offer regardless of their religion or culture.

If successive governments took a leaf out of his book. If religious leaders attempted to understand his reasoning. If educators took his lesson and conveyed it in the classroom, then I would hazard that the deep ravines that still scar this country would have been narrowed and shallowed significantly.

If he was supported by the institutions that govern us, then Jock Stein may have forever altered the mindset of ignorance that still besets this country.

If only others had an ounce of his courage and intelligence, then we may live in a very different Scotland today.
👏 👏👏👏👏👏

Man Utd's marketing team have probably tried to pinch half of these to attribute to Sir Matt Busby, but Jock had such a powerful way with words. He could really connect with your heart with his eloquent turn of phrase.

This great quote here ,
“I think it is important to win a match, but I think what is even more important is the manner in which you win.”
Unfortunately the huge injection of cash into todays game has made this less relevant to those in the position of manager and other important positions at far too many clubs these days. Of course at the end of the game, any game , you want to be winners but the style in how it's done has become less important than it was before the huge windfalls of cash were introduced. Celtic, Barcelona, Manchester United, liverpool are a few of the clubs whose supporters have enjoyed huge successes over the years but the supporters have never wavered on demanding that style accompany victory. Not long ago Sam Allardyce was hired to keep an underperforming West Ham side in the EPL and he did a great and really unlikely job in doing so. The supporters were happy to have survived relegation but far from happy with the style of football that achieved it and big Sam was duly dismissed even after having saved them. If the cash side of the game these days wasnt as massive as its become the game might still be the beautiful game it was but it's not. These days the cash reward for just qualifying for European competition is all you hear about rather than the glory of the achievement. The game has lost a lot to this situation and it's sad, I reckon it would break big jocks heart were he still here to see how the games changed in this manner.

This great quote here ,
“I think it is important to win a match, but I think what is even more important is the manner in which you win.”
Unfortunately the huge injection of cash into todays game has made this less relevant to those in the position of manager and other important positions at far too many clubs these days. Of course at the end of the game, any game , you want to be winners but the style in how it's done has become less important than it was before the huge windfalls of cash were introduced. Celtic, Barcelona, Manchester United, liverpool are a few of the clubs whose supporters have enjoyed huge successes over the years but the supporters have never wavered on demanding that style accompany victory. Not long ago Sam Allardyce was hired to keep an underperforming West Ham side in the EPL and he did a great and really unlikely job in doing so. The supporters were happy to have survived relegation but far from happy with the style of football that achieved it and big Sam was duly dismissed even after having saved them. If the cash side of the game these days wasnt as massive as its become the game might still be the beautiful game it was but it's not. These days the cash reward for just qualifying for European competition is all you hear about rather than the glory of the achievement. The game has lost a lot to this situation and it's sad, I reckon it would break big jocks heart were he still here to see how the games changed in this manner.
Spot on winter,there are some managers who want to play,attacking, exciting football,Pep,Klopp and some more, particularly German managers,but as you say, there are too many safety first managers, due to the financial implications,sky money has ruined the game,financially doped clubs backed by countries and multi national companies, have strangled competitiveness and fair play out of the game,players earning £500,000 a week and upwards FFS!,
we even have a club in the southside of Glasgow, who won't(with the blessing of the SFA)publish their accounts,who are possibly being backed by a political party in Norn Iron, paramilitary criminals, Colombian drug money? far fetched? the glib and shameless convicted criminal from south of the Limpopo, publicly stated, he could'nt sell shares as instructed by the courts, because there were criminals on the board!! FFS! fit and proper? the SFA fit for feckin purpose? feck knows how we managed to win 9 in a row, those bastaarts in concert will do their damndest to stop 10!........and breathe,rant over 🍺 🥳

Spot on winter,there are some managers who want to play,attacking, exciting football,Pep,Klopp and some more, particularly German managers,but as you say, there are too many safety first managers, due to the financial implications,sky money has ruined the game,financially doped clubs backed by countries and multi national companies, have strangled competitiveness and fair play out of the game,players earning £500,000 a week and upwards FFS!,
we even have a club in the southside of Glasgow, who won't(with the blessing of the SFA)publish their accounts,who are possibly being backed by a political party in Norn Iron, paramilitary criminals, Colombian drug money? far fetched? the glib and shameless convicted criminal from south of the Limpopo, publicly stated, he could'nt sell shares as instructed by the courts, because there were criminals on the board!! FFS! fit and proper? the SFA fit for feckin purpose? feck knows how we managed to win 9 in a row, those bastaarts in concert will do their damndest to stop 10!........and breathe,rant over 🍺 🥳
Aye Michael cash lots of, as in life the same in football more often than not it's the ruination of the person who had little , like lottery winners who end up in despair and suicidal, desperate and lonely once the cash is gone. Football clubs living out with their true means will ultimately end with the same fate. SevcoFA ? Dont get me started fs your rants are ok but mine?this is why I'm no oan twitter I canny post anything withoot it being a hundred words long at least, people just read the start miss the middle catch the end 😜

Members online

Latest posts

Back