Annual Results to June 2021

This type of report is 100% aimed at the stock market rather than fans (even though for many publicly traded football clubs many fans are also small shareholders as well), and this is the style of these documents to big-up your achievements - even if anyone with any knowledge of the operations understands that it should probably more accurately be described as a failure rather than a success.

To say anything different could/would affect their share price and the board would be failing in their main duty. Remember that a board is there to represent and do the best for their shareholders rather than "customers" (not a word that fans like to be called, I know), although the ideal scenario is where both are kept happy - in our case success on the pitch translates into increased share price and dividend pay-outs.

It is just normal corporate BS so I wouldn't get too hung up on this sort of nonsense.
Well said BB,
Set of accounts produced just for the business world and one that wouldn't have caused any panic with what I believe has driven the share price upwards, so they must be very happy overall.
Supporters in general deal with the here and now figures,
So having money in the back, which has increased with the profit made during the summer.
Sell of ST with sponcers and merchandise, prize money will cover all the costs of running the club, so no worries on that account.
Still huge profits available on the sell of any players still.
So any scaremongering trying to be raked up is nothing more than bullshit imo.
Wage structure also seems to have been addressed with no huge loan signings either, as at a guess the 2 we currently have should fit well into our current wage structure.
So where the club stands currently financially in the reality of things, and there is only 1 reality, is we still remain very strong and healthy position but you won't be reading about that as the media can't face up to that, and just trying to deflect away from the figures sevco scum (SS) have to produce, if anyone ever gets to see them.

How much working capital does club need to reach season end without overdraft or loans?

with inflation on rise the interest rates of loans will get nasty over this year

personally i dont think 20 million cash in bank is very much considering the wage bill of club.

not exactly sure how much we pulled in from season tickets but it is probably close to cash reserves we have if those accounts are accurate

which means before cash from season tickets came in we were down to bare bones

imo

that suggests our wages are too high, which suggests to me we dont really have that much wiggle room for increasing the wage bill without extra risks

Now imagine if you were up to eyes in debts then sales value of all your players declines unless somebody really wants your player

While club has no real debts the club can getr good sales values for players due to increased negotiating platform in comparison to needing to sell just to pay debts

20 million in bank at start of season doesnt mean we have lots of spending power

it will be lucky to cover working capital of club for 6 months
Your post is possibly as accurate as any of us on The Noise could put it given our lack of details concerning the running of the club season on season TT. Also highlights the absolute necessity of qualification for CL. Ridiculously easy thing to say, but very difficult thing to achieve. So, let's toss a coin, heads we put the club in financial jeopardy by gambling on getting to the promised land, or tails we run the club in a prudent manner and not end up like sevco.

The above is as easy to state as it is obvious. I do however believe mismanagement has cost the club tens of millions . The money squandered on ' works in progress' is quite simply scandalous.

Your post is possibly as accurate as any of us on The Noise could put it given our lack of details concerning the running of the club season on season TT. Also highlights the absolute necessity of qualification for CL. Ridiculously easy thing to say, but very difficult thing to achieve. So, let's toss a coin, heads we put the club in financial jeopardy by gambling on getting to the promised land, or tails we run the club in a prudent manner and not end up like sevco.

The above is as easy to state as it is obvious. I do however believe mismanagement has cost the club tens of millions . The money squandered on ' works in progress' is quite simply scandalous.
Sorry Frank but totally disagree.
Business men in the football world hardly are working to much upon the here and now, they will be working upon the future and what it could bring in an ever changing European football market for which we would still want to be part of.
This 2 year world cup has already got legs with the main obstacle the European football market, but also a good chance it will happen, so would possibly have a huge effect upon European football and the structure.
What changes could that bring? Who knows.
Even in Scotland, I would guess the majority of our supporters would have more interest in celtic than Scotland as a whole.
So for example would we want calmac available more so for us than the national team?
In general now my first thought is about players returning safe and sound, more so than playing and doing well for there country, and I would say that exists among most bigger European teams.
Could it possibly lead to a break away from fifa? I wouldn't have a clue.
But what I would say, big changes are possibly on the way, as how can anyone explain to why we are still operating with such a large squad, bought in another 3 project players who aren't up for 1st team football with us, yet would have the ability to play for any other team within the spfl?
We are already in a position to break away, yet have a squad that will get no game time with us again this season, yet would have the ability to more than hold there own within the spfl.
Speculation for us yes, big business men like ours need to be in the know, to act according for the club in which direction it may take in the future imo.

Sorry Frank but totally disagree.
Business men in the football world hardly are working to much upon the here and now, they will be working upon the future and what it could bring in an ever changing European football market for which we would still want to be part of.
This 2 year world cup has already got legs with the main obstacle the European football market, but also a good chance it will happen, so would possibly have a huge effect upon European football and the structure.
What changes could that bring? Who knows.
Even in Scotland, I would guess the majority of our supporters would have more interest in celtic than Scotland as a whole.
So for example would we want calmac available more so for us than the national team?
In general now my first thought is about players returning safe and sound, more so than playing and doing well for there country, and I would say that exists among most bigger European teams.
Could it possibly lead to a break away from fifa? I wouldn't have a clue.
But what I would say, big changes are possibly on the way, as how can anyone explain to why we are still operating with such a large squad, bought in another 3 project players who aren't up for 1st team football with us, yet would have the ability to play for any other team within the spfl?
We are already in a position to break away, yet have a squad that will get no game time with us again this season, yet would have the ability to more than hold there own within the spfl.
Speculation for us yes, big business men like ours need to be in the know, to act according for the club in which direction it may take in the future imo.
Hi John, first things first, never ever feel the need to say sorry you don't agree with me. I actually appreciate the fact that you make time to read my post. If you don't agree it's absolutely fine.

Thing is John, the second part of my post was more a question than an opinion. I was just curious as to which road my fellow Noisers think the club should take?

In the interest of clarity I feel a degree of gamble is more than ok. I would go as far as to say the work in progress thing is in itself a gamble. We've had many many failures in that department John. All good, I enjoy your input.

Hi John, first things first, never ever feel the need to say sorry you don't agree with me. I actually appreciate the fact that you make time to read my post. If you don't agree it's absolutely fine.

Thing is John, the second part of my post was more a question than an opinion. I was just curious as to which road my fellow Noisers think the club should take?

In the interest of clarity I feel a degree of gamble is more than ok. I would go as far as to say the work in progress thing is in itself a gamble. We've had many many failures in that department John. All good, I enjoy your input.
No worries Frank, as everything is only speculation and opinions on the noise without anyone truly knowing or can have any influence upon the decisions that are being made behind closed doors.
As supporters in general, there is a look beyond the end of the season and ahead to CL group stages next season and that would be the furthest we could look, and even at that it's way to far as there's a process to overcome before that can become a reality.
1 very poor preformance on Sunday has suddenly raised a lot of questions about weather that is possible?
Of course it remains a possibility and still don't see a reason for it not becoming a reality either.
As far as the board are concerned there work is done in that regards and will only arise again in January when we see what position we are in regards the league and Europe, a question noone can answer yet as it would only be based upon speculation.
I still suspect this board would rather still play safer regarding CL as the cry for much more investment within the team will start to become deafening and if undelivered the frustration and anger grows.
Believe the secret of life is trying to find the right balance, still searching myself but very hard to do within the football world, and especially hard at Celtic with everything that it involves and a balance between 2 clubs that will never be found.

No worries Frank, as everything is only speculation and opinions on the noise without anyone truly knowing or can have any influence upon the decisions that are being made behind closed doors.
As supporters in general, there is a look beyond the end of the season and ahead to CL group stages next season and that would be the furthest we could look, and even at that it's way to far as there's a process to overcome before that can become a reality.
1 very poor preformance on Sunday has suddenly raised a lot of questions about weather that is possible?
Of course it remains a possibility and still don't see a reason for it not becoming a reality either.
As far as the board are concerned there work is done in that regards and will only arise again in January when we see what position we are in regards the league and Europe, a question noone can answer yet as it would only be based upon speculation.
I still suspect this board would rather still play safer regarding CL as the cry for much more investment within the team will start to become deafening and if undelivered the frustration and anger grows.
Believe the secret of life is trying to find the right balance, still searching myself but very hard to do within the football world, and especially hard at Celtic with everything that it involves and a balance between 2 clubs that will never be found.
John, as far as that thing about the secret of life goes, for me it's just not giving a feck about things I've no control over ! But aye, you're probably correct when it comes to The Tic. Customers ? Onlookers? Take yer pick ! HH

Last edited:

Missmanagement is easy to say but the reason we need to buy players who are not Celtic ready is the market has out priced us on those players we used to be able to attract.

Could better players have been found for the prices we put out?

Possibly, but when lesser clubs can outspend you on transfer and wages and get heads up from agents wanting better terms for their client

getting good enough players in early is extra expensive under market conditions

Getting good enough players at any time is getting harder as sky squeeze the markets tighter

Im quite happy to change the board, btw

I just dont think the next board can do better with our current lack of competitive funding for the level celtic fans expect

Being better than rest in Scotland can be acheived but its like you said the pie in europe dwarves the scottish pie

And the risks involved getting crumbs from the euro pie is excessive with 50/50 chance at best of getting to it no matter how much you throw at it.

the european pie is not worth it if you must spend more than you can reasonably expect to return from it

and while scottish clubs play ever increasing strength (and all good) teams in europe just to get access to the crumbs under the euro table then the risks are multiplied eery time you increase base wages

And if your competition in sky leagues can offer better terms your risks get higher as you buy lesser quality players to compete for the euro crumbs

I would rather the club invest in proper scouting, coaching and conditioning structures. Run by competent personnel who are on top of their brief. This will result in continuous long term benefits to the club.

For too long now we have squandered valuable funds, on high risk project players. By all accounts identified, approved and signed by our ex CEO. An individual who, to my knowledge, had no expertise in these matters.

For a fraction of that money, the personnel and infrastructure could have been put in place.

It is this madness that really annoys me.

I accept, that even with structures in place, mistakes will be made. But I believe overall, we would be in a better place, and in a position to more easily identify, why these failures occur. Then we can focus on taking corrective action. This is what successful business does.

It would have cost the Board less financially, to have put the structures in place, than what the club has lost by not doing so. Yet they continued with this strategy, year after year.

I do not say this with the benefit of hindsight. Many excellent contributions have been made on this site, and on others, pointing out the lunacy of this strategy, while it was being blindly implemented.

Appalling management, completely lacking vision. Dinosaurs.

As supporters, all we can hope for, is that Ange is finally the one, who can convince them of his ideas, and get to put in place the resources he needs to do the job.

Last edited:
I would rather the club invest in proper scouting, coaching and conditioning structures. Run by competent personnel who are on top of their brief. This will result in continuous long term benefits to the club.

For too long now we have squandered valuable funds, on high risk project players. By all accounts identified, approved and signed by our ex CEO. An individual who, to my knowledge, had no expertise in these matters.

For a fraction of that money, the personnel and infrastructure could have been put in place.

It is this madness that really annoys me.

I accept, that even with structures in place, mistakes will be made. But I believe overall, we would be in a better place, and in a position to more easily identify, why these failures occur. Then we can focus on taking corrective action. This is what successful business does.

It would have cost the Board less financially, to have put the structures in place, than what the club has lost by not doing so. Yet they continued with this strategy, year after year.

I do not say this with the benefit of hindsight. Many excellent contributions have been made on this site, and on others, pointing out the lunacy of this strategy, while it was being blindly implemented.

Appalling management, completely lacking vision. Dinosaurs.

As supporters, all we can hope for, is that Ange is finally the one, who can convince them of his ideas, and get to put in place the resources he needs to do the job.
thats the same for eery club in the world

Redirecting the funding will not solve the competitive wage problem for cutting edge european football

I would like your vision, btw

But thoat structure also costs wages and when you need the best players to compete at cutting edge of europe and your opposition in this country is less than cutting edge, retaining top talent will always be a problem.

It comes down to money

And we dont hae the resources to be competitive at CL levels imo

Even if we got CL every year the extra income gets lost trying to compete against teams who will dwarf our budget

Also time dimension

it takes time for a youth team to get up to speed even if you have better team running show the strength of opposition week in week out will drive the growth of players at cutting edge

And young players dont guarantee you win league

And not winning league means you have less funding

catch 22

now is important as is tomorrow

but tomorrow we will be another 100m funding gap against teams wanting same players we want

the youth idea is best but it sacrifices now and it may fall behind in the arms race in a league of low quality opps

Missmanagement is easy to say but the reason we need to buy players who are not Celtic ready is the market has out priced us on those players we used to be able to attract.

Possibly, but when lesser clubs can outspend you on transfer and wages and get heads up from agents wanting better terms for their client

Getting good enough players at any time is getting harder as sky squeeze the markets tighter

I just dont think the next board can do better with our current lack of competitive funding for the level celtic fans expect

Being better than rest in Scotland can be acheived but its like you said the pie in europe dwarves the scottish pie

And the risks involved getting crumbs from the euro pie is excessive with 50/50 chance at best of getting to it no matter how much you throw at it.

the european pie is not worth it if you must spend more than you can reasonably expect to return from it

and while scottish clubs play ever increasing strength (and all good) teams in europe just to get access to the crumbs under the euro table then the risks are multiplied eery time you increase base wages

And if your competition in sky leagues can offer better terms your risks get higher as you buy lesser quality players to compete for the euro crumbs
It's impossible to argue against your overall assessment in terms of player recruitment as things stand TT, but there have been times when loosening the purse strings just a little, would've been beneficial to the club. This goes as far back as the Steven Fletcher debacle. And of course more recently, John McGinn. As I say though, your argument is sound. We as a club are truly prisoners of geography. We play in Scotland.

It's impossible to argue against your overall assessment in terms of player recruitment as things stand TT, but there have been times when loosening the purse strings just a little, would've been beneficial to the club. This goes as far back as the Steven Fletcher debacle. And of course more recently, John McGinn. As I say though, your argument is sound. We as a club are truly prisoners of geography. We play in Scotland.
Im not sure they wanted to be here enough?

Loosening purse strings? its the oerall wage budget that dictates the profit levels

And club hae been at the edge of wage budget balance, probably over the limits since even when we did reach CL the profit was minimal

So how much more can you eat iinto that profit before the risks are too much

you can only feild 11 players at any one time

And if you want strength in depth then your either need bigger budget or pay less per player

And thats the crux

did fletcher or mcginn want our wage budget restrictions or did they prefer bigger wages at another club?

no profit= no growth

no growth means your going backwards on and off pitch

last year we made huge loss, albeit covid related

but it means we are over the limits of our budget so to get better players and staff means potentially more oses and therefore potentially going backwards

Deila period was great coaching with youth and scottish approach

fans didnt turn up coz its not cutting edge

rodgers destroyed our budgets then fecked ooff after he did his damage

fall out is rodgers fault imo

but like everything time of bad plans dont instantly get you in the mess

its later down road the fall out happens

lennon was dire in hindsight

so he has big slice of the mess since he didnt stop the rodgers rott imo

can ange do it?

not sure, i hope he can

thats the same for eery club in the world

Redirecting the funding will not solve the competitive wage problem for cutting edge european football

I would like your vision, btw

But thoat structure also costs wages and when you need the best players to compete at cutting edge of europe and your opposition in this country is less than cutting edge, retaining top talent will always be a problem.

It comes down to money

And we dont hae the resources to be competitive at CL levels imo

Even if we got CL every year the extra income gets lost trying to compete against teams who will dwarf our budget

Also time dimension

it takes time for a youth team to get up to speed even if you have better team running show the strength of opposition week in week out will drive the growth of players at cutting edge

And young players dont guarantee you win league

And not winning league means you have less funding

catch 22

now is important as is tomorrow

but tomorrow we will be another 100m funding gap against teams wanting same players we want

the youth idea is best but it sacrifices now and it may fall behind in the arms race in a league of low quality opps
Would not disagree with anything you say TT.

My thoughts are, that qualification for the CL is the best we can hope for. Obviously, the more consistently we make it, the better.

Europe has overtaken us. Money is now the blood of footballing success. Other than, a Man City scenario happening, I cannot see it changing for us.

So for me, winning the league, then becomes more important, in that it will qualify us for the CL, and at least some decent finance.

Yes, it takes time for young players to come through. But I think we can straddle both that, and the players needed to win a league.

I do not expect us to hold on to top young talent e.g. Tierney etc., due to the riches, challenges and opportunities elsewhere.

But if we get decent money. Fine. Used properly, we can keep it going. But a worrying thing for me is, European clubs now coming in earlier for our emerging talent.

We are stuck in an awful league that gives us domestic footballing success, but is choking our ability to develop our full potential.

I wish I had the answers or was one of those Arab gentlemen.

Im not sure they wanted to be here enough?

Loosening purse strings? its the oerall wage budget that dictates the profit levels

And club hae been at the edge of wage budget balance, probably over the limits since even when we did reach CL the profit was minimal

So how much more can you eat iinto that profit before the risks are too much

you can only feild 11 players at any one time

And if you want strength in depth then your either need bigger budget or pay less per player

And thats the crux

did fletcher or mcginn want our wage budget restrictions or did they prefer bigger wages at another club?

no profit= no growth

no growth means your going backwards on and off pitch

last year we made huge loss, albeit covid related

but it means we are over the limits of our budget so to get better players and staff means potentially more oses and therefore potentially going backwards

Deila period was great coaching with youth and scottish approach

fans didnt turn up coz its not cutting edge

rodgers destroyed our budgets then fecked ooff after he did his damage

fall out is rodgers fault imo

but like everything time of bad plans dont instantly get you in the mess

its later down road the fall out happens

lennon was dire in hindsight

so he has big slice of the mess since he didnt stop the rodgers rott imo

can ange do it?

not sure, i hope he can
I really don't know where you get your figures from tet, regarding players wages.
A lot of speculation that seems way off the mark to me.
Can we afford paying 20k per week on a player?
Yes we can.
Even allowing for a 25 man squad?
Yes we can, as that's 26M on wages for the squad
Are there players available to pay 20k a week?
Plenty of them, if you know the type of players your looking for
What about paying wages to get nothing in return?
Big problems, due to how the Scottish league is structured, with no room for development.
So how much money is being wasted on players wages without a chance to develop?
Anybodys guess, but let's put a total guess upon it and say 8M.
So why does the club operate that way still?
Who knows, and no one seems to care either, so why not?
So would it make sense to just disband the whole thing and use the money to expand the budget on wages for the 1st team?
To sensible of an idea, and wreak PL vision, and supporters getting up in arms as they still want the next Kieran Tierney still.
So what's the solution?
Say nothing and see what happens.

It's not just out priced us, the player market has had terrible effect on your so called super clubs.
Barca £1.1billion in debt
Real Madrid £1.1billion in debt
Now that has been made public UEFA are talking about changing the FFP rules. The redesigned system is to be a "transition from the idea of 'spending as much as you collect' to 'spending what is necessary without waste,'”
So if the Spanish big 2 are in so much debt why have they not been sanctioned by UEFA for braking the current rules.
Now they want to change the rules to allow the big teams to spend what they want.
The whole transfer system has went so crazy only a very small handful of teams can buy the real top level players and the amount of clubs reduces even more when the crazy wages are included.

I really don't know where you get your figures from tet, regarding players wages.
A lot of speculation that seems way off the mark to me.
Can we afford paying 20k per week on a player?
Yes we can.
Even allowing for a 25 man squad?
Yes we can, as that's 26M on wages for the squad
Are there players available to pay 20k a week?
Plenty of them, if you know the type of players your looking for
What about paying wages to get nothing in return?
Big problems, due to how the Scottish league is structured, with no room for development.
So how much money is being wasted on players wages without a chance to develop?
Anybodys guess, but let's put a total guess upon it and say 8M.
So why does the club operate that way still?
Who knows, and no one seems to care either, so why not?
So would it make sense to just disband the whole thing and use the money to expand the budget on wages for the 1st team?
To sensible of an idea, and wreak PL vision, and supporters getting up in arms as they still want the next Kieran Tierney still.
So what's the solution?
Say nothing and see what happens.
i get my figures from the account results

we made a loss last season

even when we had 100M income from CL

we made 13 million profit including player sales

that means we are paying too much in bad result seasons and not getting CL benefits in good seasons since the extra gets chewed on bonuses probably cause our base wage budget is too high

At no point have i said we cant afford 20 k players

in fact we probably pay much more after players win things than 20k per first team player

problem is 20k players in uk market are not top players

they are projects or players willing to take less than uk market levels for their talents due to prestige or love of club and/pr gametime

gametime equals motivation

having big squad means you might have guys getting more than they deserve and that effects motivation as does results and opposition hype

the overall wage budget which includes all staff and players is too high

going by financial results in recent years

which affects profits and growth

And worst of all

20k players in UK market dont give you cutting edge at european levels

so you risk losing ko games against similar strength teams paying much less wages

wages dont indicate the talent you add

But they can give you a clue what market thinks about your skill

finding out a guy at another club who gets less than we can pay doesnt mean he will be willing to come to is if he can get more elsewhere and if you want him badly he might demand too much

paying 1 dude too much in comparison to other similar strength players at club means you will likely need t readjust wages across all your players or risk mutiny

5k a week in roumania might be more than 20k a week in glasgow

lots of factors totally obliterated in your analysis

which omits key things from the analysis

we dont have room in budget currently on wages to buy players outside our budget

that is clear from losses last season

so we need to shuffle in and out

and it seems in this wonky market over time the team gets weaker as our spending power is diminished

It's not just out priced us, the player market has had terrible effect on your so called super clubs.
Now that has been made public UEFA are talking about changing the FFP rules. The redesigned system is to be a "transition from the idea of 'spending as much as you collect' to 'spending what is necessary without waste,'”
So if the Spanish big 2 are in so much debt why have they not been sanctioned by UEFA for braking the current rules.
Now they want to change the rules to allow the big teams to spend what they want.
The whole transfer system has went so crazy only a very small handful of teams can buy the real top level players and the amount of clubs reduces even more when the crazy wages are included.
so are you saying the board have done better job than other clubs?

This is why they were so desperate to launch the European Super League. The 12 clubs who had signed up had combined debts of over £6.5 billion, which has increased since then.

So these teams hoover up and horde the cream of world football spending money on transfers and wages that they cannot afford to try to steal trophies from responsible clubs who live within their means.

Exactly like the two clubs that have been based at the Bigotdome!

This is why they were so desperate to launch the European Super League. The 12 clubs who had signed up had combined debts of over £6.5 billion, which increased since then.

So these teams hoover up and horde the cream of world football spending money on transfers and wages that they cannot afford to try to steal trophies from responsible clubs who live within their means.

Exactly like the two clubs that have been based at the Bigotdome!
its just concentrated version of current sky league set up

barca have 1billion income circa pa

but have billion debt

not only do they get mega income they deserve billion extra finance

and it fair play lmao

man city can have a farm of talent and its fair lmao

Back