Back 3 or back 4?

Highlander

It looks like we have a top quality center half on loan now (sorry his name escapes me it is 3am ha). Boyata is looking formidable at the moment and Ajer is progressing steadily and doing nothing wrong. I don't think all 3 could play in a back 4 as none of them are natural right backs and nobody is taking KTs position. So I think it has to be a back 3 at the expense of lustig who is not the same player these days, although he did play well against sevco. Back 3 with 2 strikers is what I want to see, wing backs can always drop a bit deeper in Europe if need be. What everyones thoughts? Oh first post nice to meet everyone! Highlander.

Yep. I think Brendan will go with 3 central defenders and 2 up top in lots of games. Especially against the teams that park the bus and that's most of them.

Brendan has the squad pretty well drilled and tactically aware. We can change it to a 4 easily without disrupting things. We have a very tactically aware manager although most of us would like to see us tighten things up a bit against good European team.

It looks like we have a top quality center half on loan now (sorry his name escapes me it is 3am ha). Boyata is looking formidable at the moment and Ajer is progressing steadily and doing nothing wrong. I don't think all 3 could play in a back 4 as none of them are natural right backs and nobody is taking KTs position. So I think it has to be a back 3 at the expense of lustig who is not the same player these days, although he did play well against sevco. Back 3 with 2 strikers is what I want to see, wing backs can always drop a bit deeper in Europe if need be. What everyones thoughts? Oh first post nice to meet everyone! Highlander.
Play Hendry, when fit, in the back 3. Heā€™s right sided. Be better with experience and with Forest in front.

I do believe the back 3 will be Boyata, Ajer and Benkovic with Hendry filling in when needed.

Obviously a more attacking line up against those who park the bus

I've heard quite a few people saying Lustig was good against the tribute act but I think he was rarely tested. On the one occasion that he was, their winger easily outpaced him. It was just as well their attack had the potency of peppermint tea.

Lustig has been a brilliant player for us - I remember our European campaign in 2013 when I thought he was the only player in most games who even got pass marks - but his legs have gone.

If Brendan doesn't fancy Gamboa then we may have to play three at the back because, hunskelper extraordinaire though he may be, Mikael Lustig cannot possibly play many more big games for us.

We should play both formations and give teams not a clue in how we line up. Brendan can set the team up to suit who we are playing and where. We can even change during a game.
In his first season everybody knew how we would play, 4 2 3 1. 3 5 2 is an option as well as 3 5 1 1.

Keep the opposition guessing

Members online

Latest posts

Back