BDecent Folk...........

Seriously SP your original post was very special and thought provoking, thank you for posting it mate.

King Artur's post about a guy/girl asking for a photo of his 🐓 on a bus is probably still the most personal and thought provoking post I've read on the noise but yours runs a close second SP.
(not quite so serious about the second part)
I felt shivers when I read Artur's post, Hoopy. It had echoes of "Brief Encounter" and elements of "Debbie does Dallas" and "Brokeback Mountain"

I had an internal soundtrack running through my head - a bit of Diana Ross and Lionel Richie mixed in with a bit of The Village People.

Truly moving post that led me to think of the world beyond myself and the universe as a whole.

Aye Dil, but I'm 10 over par from the front 9!!!

Hopefully puck up a few birdies on the back stretch (don't tell the missus though)!
I turn 66 next week, looking forward to it, I gained a wealth of experience along with it, as well as a face for radio
Comes from using the George Foreman routine 'Protect those hands, block everything , with your face'
Any day above ground, is a good day mate, this was me 'almost' buying this bike, next day got the word, I needed heart surgery...passedon buying the bike...didn't want to waste my money, if I didn't make it ;-)
Sill, there's going to be more opportunities to pick one up
There's a good mix of auld and young, on the 'noise' and it's always good to have a laugh now & again
HH

Last edited:
I'm going to turn 50 in three months and I think it's a good time to reflect on my life so far and to consider what the future holds.

Thus far, I have been blessed and a little bit more besides. I had the great fortune of having the greatest people I've known as my role-models, mentors and parents and I have a peculiar, weird, eccentric older brother who, in spite of his strangeness, always did me a solid turn when I needed it. I also had another brother, my twin - Peter, who couldn't be arsed with the whole 'life' thing and decided to bypass the nonsense and go straight to heaven.

I have a daughter who also decided that life was a bit of an inconvenience and chose to keep an eye on me from a safe distance. She's never too far away though and she has a habit of messing about with my watch from time-to-time.

I miss my dog and I love my cat.

I've screwed up in a million different ways, but somehow always managed to land on my feet.

I have three great friends who have been with me for most of my life and that bond has extended beyond being a secondary family and has evolved to something greater.

My health has been relatively good and whatever mistakes I have made in my relationships, then that is all on me. I've made my apologies and they appear to have been accepted.

There are things I won't forget, but I can't be annoyed holding grudges, so it's easier for me to forgive.

Then there is the one thing beyond my family that has always been there with me throughout my conscious life: Glasgow Celtic

The one feature in my life which has been responsible for allowing me to feel every human emotion. From abject misery to unbridled joy. From destructive rage to blissful calm.

Celtic has also allowed me to share experiences with thousands of like-minded folk, but in the last 12-months or so, it has also provided me the great pleasure of making all of your acquaintances.

We don't always agree and we don't always get on, but there are very few of you who have featured on this site that I wouldn't welcome the opportunity to break bread with and share some boat drinks with.

I'm not sure if I would enjoy sailing off the edge of the flat world, but apart from that, I feel honoured to have shared your thoughts, opinions and experiences. I'm glad that we don't always agree, but I'm even happier that those disagreements are soon forgotten.

So now that I'm approaching the half-century, I want to express, very clearly, how privileged I feel to have encountered the vast, vast majority of you through this medium.

From the mods to the regular contributors. From the young team to the old brigade. From those who are near - to those who are far away. I can't think of a better group of folk I would like to share the future with beyond those I have previously mentioned.

I have been educated. I have been informed. I have been entertained. I have laughed. I have cried. I have been happy and I have been sad.

These are the emotive responses of a contented man who has had regular exposure to decent folk.

There is no currency that can buy decency. That's an inherited trait passed down through the genes and from lifes lessons learned.

Today has confirmed what I already knew to be true in most of you already. Decency, kindness, friendship and empathy is in you all (well mostly all).

Thank you doesn't seem quite enough, but I am not educated or articulate enough to put it any other way.........Thank You.
That was an amazing thing to read. Eloquent, articulate and incerdibly moving SP. You strike me as being someone who is, now at least incredibly comfortable in their own skin and not many can really say that i don't think.
Like you say there are a lot of wonderful members on here but I have to say you are one of the very best. Intelligent, witty and honest. Your 3 good friends and your family are as lucky to have you, as you are to have them SP. A real gentleman. Now I need that tissue-bloody dusty where i'm sitting, bit must have got in my eyes. (y)

That was an amazing thing to read. Eloquent, articulate and incerdibly moving SP. You strike me as being someone who is, now at least incredibly comfortable in their own skin and not many can really say that i don't think.
Like you say there are a lot of wonderful members on here but I have to say you are one of the very best. Intelligent, witty and honest. Your 3 good friends and your family are as lucky to have you, as you are to have them SP. A real gentleman. Now I need that tissue-bloody dusty where i'm sitting, bit must have got in my eyes. (y)
I decided to write that post for a reason, Niall, and that was based on a few of our regular contributors doing their thing behind the scenes and making a gesture which was not only welcomed, but genuinely touching.

It reminded me that in spite of the current turmoil in the world, there are a group of people here on this site who are marked by a goodness and generosity that is cut right through them. We all get carried away sometimes and a wee bit over-exuberant, but I also sincerely feel that there are people using this site who would provide all the support and assistance anyone could ask for in an hour of need.

As you might have noticed, there are always going to be anomalies and the occasional serpent in the grass, but apart from that - there are just a huge amount of top quality folk on this site.

I'm going to turn 50 in three months and I think it's a good time to reflect on my life so far and to consider what the future holds.

Thus far, I have been blessed and a little bit more besides. I had the great fortune of having the greatest people I've known as my role-models, mentors and parents and I have a peculiar, weird, eccentric older brother who, in spite of his strangeness, always did me a solid turn when I needed it. I also had another brother, my twin - Peter, who couldn't be arsed with the whole 'life' thing and decided to bypass the nonsense and go straight to heaven.

I have a daughter who also decided that life was a bit of an inconvenience and chose to keep an eye on me from a safe distance. She's never too far away though and she has a habit of messing about with my watch from time-to-time.

I've screwed up in a million different ways, but somehow always managed to land on my feet.

I have three great friends who have been with me for most of my life and that bond has extended beyond being a secondary family and has evolved to something greater.

My health has been relatively good and whatever mistakes I have made in my relationships, then that is all on me. I've made my apologies and they appear to have been accepted.

There are things I won't forget, but I can't be annoyed holding grudges, so it's easier for me to forgive.

Then there is the one thing beyond my family that has always been there with me throughout my conscious life: Glasgow Celtic

The one feature in my life which has been responsible for allowing me to feel every human emotion. From abject misery to unbridled joy. From destructive rage to blissful calm.

Celtic has also allowed me to share experiences with thousands of like-minded folk, but in the last 12-months or so, it has also provided me the great pleasure of making all of your acquaintances.

We don't always agree and we don't always get on, but there are very few of you who have featured on this site that I wouldn't welcome the opportunity to break bread with and share some boat drinks with.

I'm not sure if I would enjoy sailing off the edge of the flat world, but apart from that, I feel honoured to have shared your thoughts, opinions and experiences. I'm glad that we don't always agree, but I'm even happier that those disagreements are soon forgotten.

So now that I'm approaching the half-century, I want to express, very clearly, how privileged I feel to have encountered the vast, vast majority of you through this medium.

From the mods to the regular contributors. From the young team to the old brigade. From those who are near - to those who are far away. I can't think of a better group of folk I would like to share the future with beyond those I have previously mentioned.

I have been educated. I have been informed. I have been entertained. I have laughed. I have cried. I have been happy and I have been sad.

These are the emotive responses of a contented man who has had regular exposure to decent folk.

There is no currency that can buy decency. That's an inherited trait passed down through the genes and from lifes lessons learned.

Today has confirmed what I already knew to be true in most of you already. Decency, kindness, friendship and empathy is in you all (well mostly all).

Thank you doesn't seem quite enough, but I am not educated or articulate enough to put it any other way.........Thank You.
A man's man neeb 💪👏

I decided to write that post for a reason, Niall, and that was based on a few of our regular contributors doing their thing behind the scenes and making a gesture which was not only welcomed, but genuinely touching.

It reminded me that in spite of the current turmoil in the world, there are a group of people here on this site who are marked by a goodness and generosity that is cut right through them. We all get carried away sometimes and a wee bit over-exuberant, but I also sincerely feel that there are people using this site who would provide all the support and assistance anyone could ask for in an hour of need.

As you might have noticed, there are always going to be anomalies and the occasional serpent in the grass, but apart from that - there are just a huge amount of top quality folk on this site.
And your one of the Best SP and long may it continue 👏👏👏👏

HH 👏

[/QUOTE
Brilliant reading SP, you're spot on again, there's nothing like people who look out for each other, and when most of the news around the world is grim, it's really good to know that there's a lot of good folks out there, I think that can be forgotten in the polarised world we live in mate. 👍

Ach your mistaken there SP. People only joined in with this cos Hesgoals is down and we know MD will have Stella in the Fridge and be too nice to turn us away. wait til you see how many folk are squeezed into his Living room at 3pm on Saturday ;) . No such thing as an altruistic act SP

Ach your mistaken there SP. People only joined in with this cos Hesgoals is down and we know MD will have Stella in the Fridge and be too nice to turn us away. wait til you see how many folk are squeezed into his Living room at 3pm on Saturday ;) . No such thing as an altruistic act SP
Hahahahahaha very true, Niall..........Casa Duffy is away to be turned into a kibbutz. Shammy.......get they pieces made!

SP I've only noticed this and truly touches my heart.
I find it extremely awkward and rather remain in the background so shy in this sense and it's what we do Decency for all life is so hard by itself everyone needs a hand life is so cruel and just in my soul and heart I hate seeing people struggle starving children in poverty parents not eating just because they want there children to have it.

So it's giving people a bit of hope there not alone and if I can't help then I know other who will help.
You SP and others on here are thoughtful compassionate empathy integrity kind considerate selfless genuine and that word that you don't here very often Decency it's comes from every pore of your heart soul and body.

These day's it sickens me to the bone that there are sorry selfish people in the world just out for themselves and truly the pandemic showed us this.
Personal here through my folk and grandads but especially my cousin Karen we both had the jags for whopping cough I took a very bad reaction I ft I was dying my uncle took me to the hospital just in time.
But Karen my dad was in his brothers house and he said you better get Karen up the hospital right away they saved her but she was vegative state.
Still feel guilty to this day I wished it was me and I'd seen at first hand how cruel life is and completely my uncle and aunt devastated broken hearted.
From that day forth if I can illhelp anyone
And I don't do it for no reason
If there's a heaven fine if not cool
But I can look at anybody and say I've done everything I can for family friends and all charities that matter never wanted anything in return and if judgement day comes or elephant or rah or Jock Stein I can from the bottom of my heart I've helped people charities the man or women in the street ease everyone suffering and never once looked for anything in return.
SP you and others on here are true angels that the world is a better place.

SP I've only noticed this and truly touches my heart.
I find it extremely awkward and rather remain in the background so shy in this sense and it's what we do Decency for all life is so hard by itself everyone needs a hand life is so cruel and just in my soul and heart I hate seeing people struggle starving children in poverty parents not eating just because they want there children to have it.

So it's giving people a bit of hope there not alone and if I can't help then I know other who will help.
You SP and others on here are thoughtful compassionate empathy integrity kind considerate selfless genuine and that word that you don't here very often Decency it's comes from every pore of your heart soul and body.

These day's it sickens me to the bone that there are sorry selfish people in the world just out for themselves and truly the pandemic showed us this.
Personal here through my folk and grandads but especially my cousin Karen we both had the jags for whopping cough I took a very bad reaction I ft I was dying my uncle took me to the hospital just in time.
But Karen my dad was in his brothers house and he said you better get Karen up the hospital right away they saved her but she was vegative state.
Still feel guilty to this day I wished it was me and I'd seen at first hand how cruel life is and completely my uncle and aunt devastated broken hearted.
From that day forth if I can illhelp anyone
And I don't do it for no reason
If there's a heaven fine if not cool
But I can look at anybody and say I've done everything I can for family friends and all charities that matter never wanted anything in return and if judgement day comes or elephant or rah or Jock Stein I can from the bottom of my heart I've helped people charities the man or women in the street ease everyone suffering and never once looked for anything in return.
SP you and others on here are true angels that the world is a better place.

I'm really pleased you posted this DJK, like yourself I had never read SP's post, and if you hadn't posted, I never would have. So thanks for that. As for SP, I've had the very great privilege of meeting both him and Shammy. I left their company feeling good about life. Two very special and DECENT folk. But then again, it shouldn't really have been a surprise, they are, after all, Noisers !

I see this was all pre Covid. THE most strange and fucked up period of my life, lockdown I mean.
I've had strange and fucked up before, but that was usually my fault.
I find Putins actions strange and fucked up, but there's nothing I can do about that, my heart weeps for those poor people in Ukraine and all the other places that aren't making the news.
I'm just over a year off 60. I don't feel it, the mirror says different.
Violence sickens me now, I've seen too much of it. It's a younger man's game.
So, like you SP, I've found a place where I can share a mutual love of one special team, a team that's brought me much joy and occasional fleeting angst, but never despair.
As the man said, Triumph and Disaster, are just equal imposters.
Hail Hail, Up the Hoops.

I'm really pleased you posted this DJK, like yourself I had never read SP's post, and if you hadn't posted, I never would have. So thanks for that. As for SP, I've had the very great privilege of meeting both him and Shammy. I left their company feeling good about life. Two very special and DECENT folk. But then again, it shouldn't really have been a surprise, they are, after all, Noisers !
Aw, you're too kind Frank.

It was nice to read back through the posts and remember what life was like then. Oor Michael was still with us and we knew not what was to come.
Still a lovely thread though.

Last edited:

Aye, missed this 1st time round, ach yer still a youngster. Gonnie be 58 in 4 mth, how I've got this far I don't know, nearly never got tae 21, my Mrs exboyfriend, came up behind me outside the Disco & plugged me with knife, just above my right kidney, ended up with 40 stiches, I was lucky I just turned round at right time,anger took over & 37 yr after it he crosses the road tae avoid me.

I got Kath & he got nightmares, I also realised that my guardian angel may not be there the next time, could have swore I heard ma granny call my name that night & that's why I turned round.

So after 3 kids, 5 Grandweans 1 to 21, a Great Grandwean & another 2 due in September, mulled wine & covid tae blame, The eldest Grandson did say at Christmas dinner 2 his wee brother & sisters, we'll have wee Brother or Sis around Granda's Birthday they're gonnie get both, another 2.wee loonie Librians tae be brought up TIMALLOY'S tae the core.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇮🇪☘HAIL HAIL☘🇮🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🥃🍺 Slàinte

Aye, missed this 1st time round, ach yer still a youngster. Gonnie be 58 in 4 mth, how I've got this far I don't know, nearly never got tae 21, my Mrs exboyfriend, came up behind me outside the Disco & plugged me with knife, just above my right kidney, ended up with 40 stiches, I was lucky I just turned round at right time,anger took over & 37 yr after it he crosses the road tae avoid me.

I got Kath & he got nightmares, I also realised that my guardian angel may not be there the next time, could have swore I heard ma granny call my name that night & that's why I turned round.

So after 3 kids, 5 Grandweans 1 to 21, a Great Grandwean & another 2 due in September, mulled wine & covid tae blame, The eldest Grandson did say at Christmas dinner 2 his wee brother & sisters, we'll have wee Brother or Sis around Granda's Birthday they're gonnie get both, another 2.wee loonie Librians tae be brought up TIMALLOY'S tae the core.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇮🇪☘HAIL HAIL☘🇮🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🥃🍺 Slàinte
A terrific story TT, I was goin' to say a wee bit scary, but in truth I would imagine many of us would be able to recall similar episodes in our own life. I know I certainly could.
Thing is though, stories such as yours remind us in graphic detail of the fact that, even though we rejoice in our common bond, which is the love of Celtic Football Club. We are also individual beings with different opinions, aspirations, and hopes in our private lives.
It's also a great credit to The Noise that we are comfortable sharing our stories with our fellow Noisers'. Sounds like you are surrounded with much love , and that is without doubt THE most important thing in life. Long may that continue.HH

Back