Becoming weaker from a position of strength

Well the dust has just about settled on what has been in my opinion and absolute nightmare of a transfer window . Lets get the positives out the way first . The permanent signing of Edouard is a good piece of buisness , even more so after the forced sale of Dembele. Who’s going to remember this window as the one we broke our transfer record? . I also feel bringing Izzy back as cover for KT made sense so that also gets a positive from me. Arzani I don’t know enough about to make a judgement but seeing as Rodgers has decided this is the time to start giving Johnston some games seems a little odd, add to that Lewis Morgan and again I find it a little strange. I was at Rugby Park when Mulumbu ran the show so know what he will bring , but he’s a 31 yr old free agent so we could have signed him months ago if he was who we were really after. Benkovic is by everything I’ve read a decent player but again we didn’t sell Boyata and if him an Ajer remain fit I’m certain thats who Rodgers will go with most weeks. So is this another loan move where the player involved gets little game time? Now what about the right back area Lustig is definitely on a downward trajectory and Gamboa in my opinion simply isn’t good enough on a regular basis, so why was no one bought for that position? Finally the striking posititons, whatever your take on the Dembele situation it’s not in doubt we are now weaker in that area. One positive for me is that Christie wasn’t sold or loaned out as I definitely think given a run he would be a good addition to our team. To sum up I have to question both the board and the management/recruitment here as they all have had a hand in this shambles. Bottom line is we are a weaker squad today than when we finished last season and that from a position of absolute dominance is unforgivable. Sorry if I went on a bit but the more I think about it the angrier I get.

Totally agree although we were invincible when we had only Dembele & Griffiths up front, so it could be argued that Edouard & Griffiths will be just as good.

To me we should have signed McGinn & CB early in the summer. We would then almost certainly have made the CL groups.

Well the dust has just about settled on what has been in my opinion and absolute nightmare of a transfer window . Lets get the positives out the way first . The permanent signing of Edouard is a good piece of buisness , even more so after the forced sale of Dembele. Who’s going to remember this window as the one we broke our transfer record? . I also feel bringing Izzy back as cover for KT made sense so that also gets a positive from me. Arzani I don’t know enough about to make a judgement but seeing as Rodgers has decided this is the time to start giving Johnston some games seems a little odd, add to that Lewis Morgan and again I find it a little strange. I was at Rugby Park when Mulumbu ran the show so know what he will bring , but he’s a 31 yr old free agent so we could have signed him months ago if he was who we were really after. Benkovic is by everything I’ve read a decent player but again we didn’t sell Boyata and if him an Ajer remain fit I’m certain thats who Rodgers will go with most weeks. So is this another loan move where the player involved gets little game time? Now what about the right back area Lustig is definitely on a downward trajectory and Gamboa in my opinion simply isn’t good enough on a regular basis, so why was no one bought for that position? Finally the striking posititons, whatever your take on the Dembele situation it’s not in doubt we are now weaker in that area. One positive for me is that Christie wasn’t sold or loaned out as I definitely think given a run he would be a good addition to our team. To sum up I have to question both the board and the management/recruitment here as they all have had a hand in this shambles. Bottom line is we are a weaker squad today than when we finished last season and that from a position of absolute dominance is unforgivable. Sorry if I went on a bit but the more I think about it the angrier I get.
So from an open top bus parade in May to last night has taken quite a bit of swallowing. Poor management ( in the widest sense ) has led to dimunition of our squad strength and morale. Boyata at the World Cup and not signing a long term contract was a clear signal. Moussa was always in the departure lounge and the moment serious buyers arrived he was for the off. Lustig and Robin at the World Cup spelt fatigue and more danger. These are all new challenges to the running of the club but that is why CEOs and the like are highly paid.
Hugely disappointing turn of events and most of which could have been foreseen with better scenario planning. We now have an angry Celtic support and have given real hope to challengers.
Time to regroup but I suspect this will not be the end of the bad news.

Totally agree although we were invincible when we had only Dembele & Griffiths up front, so it could be argued that Edouard & Griffiths will be just as good.

To me we should have signed McGinn & CB early in the summer. We would then almost certainly have made the CL groups.
While I agree about Dembele and Griffiths during the invincible season the imput of Sinclair can’t be underestimated that year.

So from an open top bus parade in May to last night has taken quite a bit of swallowing. Poor management ( in the widest sense ) has led to dimunition of our squad strength and morale. Boyata at the World Cup and not signing a long term contract was a clear signal. Moussa was always in the departure lounge and the moment serious buyers arrived he was for the off. Lustig and Robin at the World Cup spelt fatigue and more danger. These are all new challenges to the running of the club but that is why CEOs and the like are highly paid.
Hugely disappointing turn of events and most of which could have been foreseen with better scenario planning. We now have an angry Celtic support and have given real hope to challengers.
Time to regroup but I suspect this will not be the end of the bad news.
One of the biggest assets during the last two seasons has been the togetherness of everyone involved. The fans , the team, the management and the board . The last few months has seen that disappear.

While I agree about Dembele and Griffiths during the invincible season the imput of Sinclair can’t be underestimated that year.

That is true which just underscores my point, which is we are arguably as strong now or stronger as we were in the invincible season.
I think players like Boyata McGregor Tierney are better players now and I definitely think Molumbu is an improvement on Armstrong.

Shame/shambles we didn't get McGinn especially when we know he wanted to come.

One of the biggest assets during the last two seasons has been the togetherness of everyone involved. The fans , the team, the management and the board . The last few months has seen that disappear.

This is the major battle out of them all that Brendan faces this season. Our players have been great, however, especially last season, there is an element of familiarity breeding contempt which reflected all to often on the pitch, in terms of our playing style.

New faces aren't the luxury Lawwell views them as, they are a must for any team wanting to move on, grow and improve. We've seen it time and time again when playing against 11-man defences. It has been so boring at times, passing across to midfield then moving to other wing, then across again and again before eventually passing it back to Gordon - who will inevitably kick it out of play.

I suspect that Der Hun will try and hit us on the counter tomorrow and, with our defence, they will get at least one, maybe two. Therefore, as usual, all the effort will be wasted within a few seconds.

Paddy Roberts was brilliant for a defence splitting pass. It's something I've seen Ryan Christie do time and time again for Aberdeen. Forrest can't/won't try it. Tiereny/McGregor try it too few times but are brilliant at it as well. Brown really should be trying to at least try to look for movement but just believes it's not his job!

Anyway, that's how I feel and would welcome constructive criticism on my views as, you can see, I'm no manager.

On an even more depressing note, my sons are just gutted about the transfer window? Who said it's just a game:mad:

That is true which just underscores my point, which is we are arguably as strong now or stronger as we were in the invincible season.
I think players like Boyata McGregor Tierney are better players now and I definitely think Molumbu is an improvement on Armstrong.

I’d argue on that point , Sinclair is finding it hard to recapture his debut season form and I don’t see Molumbo as a direct replacement for Armstrong. I would agree about the players who have improved under Rodgers

I struggle to find a positive from this window. The board and whatever calls itself the PR department need to stop insulting the fans collective intelligence. Our net spend from last season sits at a fat £0. Rodgers will be realising he's found the glass ceiling he was most likely warned about before joining the club and that we all thought with his appointment was finally smashed. Apart from that, everything's fine...

Mulumbu is in to give Brown a rest. Possibly to give extra dig alongside him in certain games, maybe against the huns. The Armstrong replacement was mcginn.

The scarey thing for me is that the cracks are starting to appear here , from Rodgers publicly throwing the board under the bus , whether you agree or disagree it has done nothing but bring negativity. To him questioning his players publicly, I have no problem with this if it is done behind closed doors and not through the media. To his statement of not being able to build something at Celtic because of our whole strategy of selling our best players. Has this summer seen the beginning of the end for Rodgers ? Who knows, I hope not but time will tell.

I think its going to be hard to strengthen when there is such an obvious disconnect between the board and manager,this window has shown that there is serious difference about how to move forward.Its almost as though they are not talking to each other on any level,talking to boyata on and off last season about a new deal,did the board and brendan not have a convo about what to do if deal wasnt signed before world cup,they certainly had no plan in place when he returned and said i want out.
Mcginn,manager had it all tied up,board blew it,lets also remember brendan publicly said scott allan would struggle to get a game,end result no mcginn and still paying a wage to a guy with no prospect of playing,manager said the same of christie,still here.Piccini deal,allegedly all the work done and lawell changed the terms,deal gone,three deep at right back and manager clearly fancies none of them.Arzani arrives,brendan says he doesent know a lot about him,how come.
The point im trying to make is that there seems to be no communication at all between board and manager,no planning,squad management cuts both ways,players in and out and we seem to be failing on both counts.The thing is we need to move on from this summer,and the one thing i can guarantee is that the fans will follow the team to the ends of the earth but not convinced those inside the club can come together and do the same.

Unfortunately I think it is the beginning of the end.

Lennon, in his first job as a manager, walked because he was frustrated with the lack of backing and improvement in squad.

Rodgers won't stand for it either.

I think its going to be hard to strengthen when there is such an obvious disconnect between the board and manager,this window has shown that there is serious difference about how to move forward.Its almost as though they are not talking to each other on any level,talking to boyata on and off last season about a new deal,did the board and brendan not have a convo about what to do if deal wasnt signed before world cup,they certainly had no plan in place when he returned and said i want out.
Mcginn,manager had it all tied up,board blew it,lets also remember brendan publicly said scott allan would struggle to get a game,end result no mcginn and still paying a wage to a guy with no prospect of playing,manager said the same of christie,still here.Piccini deal,allegedly all the work done and lawell changed the terms,deal gone,three deep at right back and manager clearly fancies none of them.Arzani arrives,brendan says he doesent know a lot about him,how come.
The point im trying to make is that there seems to be no communication at all between board and manager,no planning,squad management cuts both ways,players in and out and we seem to be failing on both counts.The thing is we need to move on from this summer,and the one thing i can guarantee is that the fans will follow the team to the ends of the earth but not convinced those inside the club can come together and do the same.
Couldn’t have said it better myself

I have to agree, I did not get why we were not looking and asking about players, then something just hit me; remember 97 season, stopped the Huns 10 and who was the General manager? Yes Jock Brown, what did he say after we had won the league, before the start of the following season... (correct if me if I don't get word for word, it was something like this) we don't need to add to the squad, these players won the league so let them continue....or something like that. Well this is the same mentality of this board after two back 2 back trebles, OMG, what are this shower of cretins letting us in for? No matter who you are, you have to keep adding better not sit on their backsides patting each other on the back! I still believe we will win the league and hump them tomorrow, it's all the bad news coming out of Paradise that I had to say something. Rankers SEVCO won't know what's going to hit them tomorrow so keep the FAITH??☘️HH

Unfortunately I believe that we supporters must shoulder some of the blame for this mess. Our blind faith and trust in parting with our cash plays into the hands of the board. Once the last seat is sold, the replica Kits are sold out and the Celtic tv subscriptions are purchased, then the bean counters are happy. Maybe it’s time we withheld our investment until we see what investment the board are willing to make.

Steven CFC . 100% BEHIND YOU WITH YOUR COMMENTS. we are weaker than we where last season and peter lawell and co know this without anybody trying to say ??? OH GREAT BIT OF BUSINESS SELLING DEMBELE FOR A PROFIT THAT WE WILL NEVER SEE SPENT ON A ( SUPPOSED ) EXPENSIVE PITCH AND NEW DEALS FOR ROGIC AND SOON TO BE SOLD NTCHAM ??? We have been blind sided by this out of date board for too long and hence the reason why I’m done With it as my season ticket is now binned as I can’t go back to paradise and watch those bunch of penny pinching toss pots act like fans by applauding our success but actually APPLAUDING THERE OWN POCKETS WITH OUR MONEY ??? Wake up te faithfull and let these fuds on the board know our feelings hail hail

Don't apologise m8 u hav every right to be angry, we mite not agree on every point but everyone involved from board, manager, head of recruitment to Dembele have been shocking and are all to blame.

Looking at last seasons first team squad, I only think we are weaker in one position, centre forward. I'm gutted that Dembélé has gone, I hoped he could be a new Henrik and stay for seven years. Realistically Henrik was the peak of Post Lisbon Celtic, and no one is going to live up to that, so trying to think rationally Dembélé was always going sooner or later. I've always believed you need a squad of four strikers to play with a front two or three to go with one up front, due to Alex Ferguson saying something along those lines years ago, and its always made sense to me. With that in mind I'm worried that letting Dembélé go without signing another player is a mistake, will this 16 year old kid Armstrong Okoflex be first team squad ready? I hope he's going to prove me wrong, but I'm worried about throwing him in if Edouard and Griffiths are both injured at the same time, and I'm not sure about Christie as a centre forward, or even "false nine" as I've heard it suggested.

In the other positions, Armstrong and Roberts are gone but neither were first choice players with McGregor and Forrest ahead of them, I don't think we needed to replace Armstrong directly, and in terms of numbers Mulumbu has come in. Is Arzani as good as or better than Roberts? Only time will tell, but I did watch all the Aussies World Cup matches and he did catch my eye in the short spells he played so fingers crossed.

Izzy in solves the problem caused by selling Izzy two summers ago! Benkovic addresses the lack of centre back cover, I don't know if he's better than what we have.

I think Bain, Edouard, Morgan and Christie are in a category I'll call forward planning. I know they were not new this summer, but they are a combination of loans turned "permanent" signings and returns from loan. Edouard is a direct replacement for Dembélé in the first team. The others I think just add squad depth, and we hope they might prove themselves over time.

Overall I feel disappointed, and that's no doubt partly because we missed out on John McGinn, and partly losing Dembélé.

Members online

Latest posts

Back