Best since Big Jock?

One of the things I love most about the noise is the stories you folk have to tell about your many many (in some cases many many many many) years of following Glasgow Celtic.
I was born in 87. I was to young to remember the mood around Celtic in the 90s. I remember my 1st game was the Peter Grant testimonial against Bayern. I remember seeing my dad cry for the 1st time when we stopped them doing the 10....I vaguely remember the O'Neil era but I was to busy hanging about with my mates (all huns) and discovering girls 🤣🤣
My question to you is, is Ange the best manager Celtic have had since Jock Stein?? I know it's still early stages. But looking at what he's created so far, the mood around the club, the style of play we are seeing, is he, or does he have the potential to be the best since Jock??

Or is it to early to tell??

Or.....is there any manager you rate higher?? That came after Jock Stein
Going by this I have ten years on you (Cellic Da) so I don't remember the Jockster either. MoN's time was great and WGS did wonders in Europe. Then there was Ronnie who never got a fair shake of the stick imo. Rodgers was next with an undefeated, win everything, season that'll never be beaten (prolly). Ange though. Ange seems different. I can't see him jumping ship mid season and I also have it in my head (so this could be my denial, mine alone) that he'll stay here as long as he can. No one else believed in him. All these English teams being linked with him, where were they when he was knocking his pan in in Japan? No feckin where. We've put our trust in him and I reckon he knows that and will repay us in spades HH

Ronnie did a "pre season", two "full of them" before Rodgers.
Full seasons of eating and playing as a sports science coach.
The self proclaimed fittest man alive mr collins chipping in.
Shed something mad like 100kgs-130kgs of body fat off the starting team?
Mental for pro athletes to need that.

Lenny was a mon school of thought. Dropped the ball. Came back and recognised they needed it but couldn't enforce it. Wasn't the guy.
"a lot has changed fitness wise" wtf

Too many bams and egos for a guy like RD to overpower. Tbf he was only listed as a top coach not manager and got the nod because we fucked it.
Our top target didn't happen and he was pushed to no1
I won't say a bad word about him tbh.
He did what we wanted him to do.
Gave him a job he wasnt running for.

He also ducked out when he should of.
Admitted his failings.

No hard feelings my end ever to him.
Our board let us down. We got slapped in the face by employing a sports scientist with a fair run in Norway.

Scandi lads in the mother tongue might listen more.
He had two playing out of their skin, made money on one.

Trial shift.
Team- "good session"

Bet one of them bumped his water bottle though. For a laugh.

He also moved some of them on

Just my opinion.

Rodgers wouldn't of had his spring board or have taken the job if it wasnt for the culture RD set up.
Rodgers also wouldn't of done the things he did with the team we had if it wasnt for the work RD did.
What a run he had though. We all enjoyed every moment

Couldn't move his rude boys on but managed them and left problems for NFL.

Coaches that demanded hard work.

MO- quality over anything
GS - less budget but graft
Tm- sorry mate
Lenny - passion but inherited graft
RD- Got them grafting again
BR- I have a very promising group
Lenny- OOC hell hole, gentelmans agreement gone and most of the first team cuck it. Told they will not move on or be sold!
We then bring in numpties on bigger wages ...(board again)
Loose the 10...all our(board) fault.
Lenny under the contract bus nightmare btw
Still agreed to laxalt and duffy...

br was going to renew with or leave with a few lads. Fucked off.
Lenny shouldn't of been back at all.
Or came back past the ship steady period.

BR isn't the snake for us as fans he IS the snake for his playing squad.
Calmac and Kennedy knockbacks.
Our board fucked the same players and didn't back him.
BR didn't weather the storm and honoured his minimum release and back to the epl release clause.
Look it up.
Is what it is.

Ffw....
A bit

Ange comes in.

open chats been had.

We lost the 10 because we couldn't be fucked scouting or thinking during covid.
These boys promised moves and told no.

Lesson learned.

The matra of ange might not be his.
Could be the board.
Let them go if they want.
Gtf

Better late than never to manage this correctly.

Added with a "right stubborn bloke that will kick a dingo in the nuts and give your sister to a wombat if the fukka can do a few more keepi ups"

Fickin love it

Has to be that way
Slap the media as well
Squad on the tippy toes

Excellent appointment

Notice I don't have to even talk about his recruitment In detail

His player development in detail.
His coaching in detail

The man has shown all in the media or players the door or the pitch.
That's his talking points.

Even the huns like him

Last edited:
we lost the ten because lawell was so intrenched in tory ideals that he denied those that the club was founded on. Greed and power poured out of every pore on his body. Desmond sat back like java the hutt . One thing we learned from that year was the support means more than them all. Never trust a Tory. Lawell and desmond, if they lived to be 1000 years old, would never get the respect of Ange. Ange does it for the love of the game, not for profit.

Ange will make Celtic the best team in Scotland and we will win the league and more. Stein won the Big Cup by playing just a few games. The CL is a different kettle of fish and winning that more than 50 years later is a huge ask with many more matches. That is not how he should be judged surely. Time will tell how good he is but signs are very good.

Ange will make Celtic the best team in Scotland and we will win the league and more. Stein won the Big Cup by playing just a few games. The CL is a different kettle of fish and winning that more than 50 years later is a huge ask with many more matches. That is not how he should be judged surely. Time will tell how good he is but signs are very good.
Ange already has made Celtic the best team in Scotland.

Great question lubo,
Got me thinking way back to my childhood, and the first " bloody hell" and the goosebumps all over tingling sensation of knowing that I'm witnessing something special here.

That feeling that comes with being a tim and knowing to yourself " wow wow wow "

Ok so I'm going back here to 1983 and Davie Hay was our manager.

Hay wasn't the most successful manager we've had but before he was sacked in '87 (I think), he did deliver probably the most jawdroppingly exciting, incredible and unlikely final day title at love Street as hearts caved in Dundee to those 2 goals from Albert Kidd.

Back to '83 first and of course its the sporting Lisbon game, we had to win 3- 0 having lost 2-0 in Portugal.

I was 10 in the old rangers end and cheered sporting onto the field when they entered the field in green and white hoops, first shock of the night, older Celtic fans having a wee giggle and a gentle ribbing, " that's not Celtic wee man", so embarrassed 😄

This was no ordinary Celtic side , we were packed full of incredible talent.

Tommy Burns, McClair , McGrain, Roy Aitken, Davie Provan, Paul Mcstay, Murdo Macleod , and Judas Mo Johnston who already had hero status at Celtic his betrayal came later but that side , on its day was capable of taking on any side.

They had that Celtic magic about them and in front of the old jungle and old paradise you always had the feeling anything can happen with this crowd behind the team and it often did, was like the crowd sucked the ball into the net with telepathic energy 😅 an atmosphere to rival any of new paradise so loud.

I'm not saying Hay is on a par with Jock, Brendan or Martin but he deserves a special mention I believe for what he did deliver against all the odds.

Hay set his Celtic side up the traditional Celtic way , all out attack from all quarters, from the first minute to the last and breathtaking to watch.

He replaced Billy McNeil and strangely Billy replaced Davie straight back and returned as Celtic manager.

This was the biscuit tin Celtic era , the white/kelly biscuit tin, how we won anything is a testament to the managers and players of the time we were handicapped from within.

So many strange connections/coincidence then, sporting Lisbon were manged by Dr Jo Venglos at the time.

Watching Celtic dismantle them that night was my first real and true Celtic incredible, unbelievable , club that keeps on giving moment though I'd been before to the game I'd never witnessed anything like that before, I was still buzzing full of static electricity for a week afterwards⚡

3-0 at half time and sporting had gone by then, finished 5-0 (5-2 agg) only mystic Meg saw this coming but what Hay delivered a few seasons later was truly up there in my book with our greatest achievements.

Albert Kidd day!!

Celtic had to win by 3 clear goals at love Street and hope for a very unlikely Dundee side to take 3pts on the last day of the season against a Hearts side who went there on a 27 game unbeaten run they were a stick on for the title.

The best Hearts side in generations.

We looked after our part of the deal 4-0 at Ht If I remember correctly but with Hearts only needing to avoid defeat and 8 minutes remaining of the season it was despair , dejection total depression.

Back then everything came from rumours and whispers and if someone had a wee radio they were like a messenger of God.

When it comes through that the Dundee sub has scored with 7 minutes to go its the strangest sensation, is it true ? Is this real? Can't be , what?
Dare I believe it?

You're just terrified to believe it, is this a sick joke thing and all the crazy thoughts then within minutes bang he's scored again and Hearts have hibs'd it.
Glasgow, Paisley, everywhere erupts but still in my head I must see it on telly later haha.

This was not the moment I became a tim but it was definately like a confirmation of my being a tim for the rest of my life and I no longer need my brothers now I am emotionally invested and will take it from here for ever.

I'd tasted now twice the miraculous rollercoaster of emotions that comes with being a Celtic supporter and I'm signed up for life.

I get goosebumps now typing away remembering how those two days played out .

All supporters of all clubs have their stories of games and days but even non Celtic fans have agreed and its written by many online that there is something special going on here with Celtic that you just can't get elsewhere and you just can't put your finger on it , tip of your tongue type thing , trying to explain sheer emotional joy from the depths of certain despair , we are never beaten until its over and result officially recorded, say we are before that and watch the miraculous become true.

Against all the odds,
Davie Hay Celtic Legend 🍀
👆👏👏👏 HH sir! Gave me goosebumps reading that!!🍀

Back