Best since Big Jock?

Wit aboot Lou macari???john barnes??🙄jokin “before a get slaughtered…tam burns teams played some exciting fitbaw,,di canio,Pierre,Andy thom,cadette,m stay,,,,he was really unlucky,they cunts over the road we’re buying absolute top drawer plus there usual mason refs went all out,,,,,,,but a think ange is gonny surpass it,,got a feeling in ma water,,a see a euro final ahead……

I said after we won the league last season that Ange will become our best manager SINCE big Jock.

He won't be able too achieve the top European prize that Jock did but it's a different era now anyway.

If he stays long enough Ange will become a total legend because we all love his footballing philosophy which appears to be paying off. His style is easier on the eye than some before him and we know he just 'gets it'.

Legends aren't made in a couple of seasons but Ange is still on course to be the best manager SINCE Jock Stein.

I was born in 62 so i was just starting school when big Jock won the big Cup but I thought we were gonna win it again in 70 when I was able to watch us beat the mighty Leeds in the semis and I began to understand what Celtic where all about.
I thought at the time Jock Stein was Celtic and no one could ever trump what he acheived ..9 in a row by 74 with some brilliant world class players who entertained us the Celtic way.
The next time I honestly had the feeling we could make an impact in Europe and dominate domestically was under Martin O'Neil and I'm glad to say I was in Seville all be it was not to be.
I love Ange and he is the closest to big Jock in terms of how he has single handedly taken the club by the scruff of the neck including his commanding presence and the revolution of how we consistently play.
He can only be the best since the big man if he wins us a final in Europe again imo. Mon the Ange give us another shot at dreaming.
The odds are stacked against him in this rich man poor man modern day corrupt football world.
But stranger things have happened.

Still early days for Ange so I would say Martin O'Neil has been the best since Jock Stein. MON stopped a juggernaut in the financially doped Huns (Wim Jansen stalled them) and set us up for domination this century, 16 league titles, 10 Scottish Cups & 9 League Cups (5 trebles) in 22 seasons. He also took us to a European final.

Imo nobody can go higher than Jock. Not only in terms of how he wanted his team to play, but in his understanding of what he was up against regarding the official's.
So just under him I'd put Tommy Burns, then Martin O'NEIL, then Brendan, an then Ange. Tuff but that's the way it goes.

Martin turned things around and gave us Seville…..Rodgers brought real professionalism to the Club and a winning mentality…..the Athenian Fenian has the guile and the savvy of Big Jock, along with a football philosophy and style that promises so much…..Tommy played football the Glasgow Celtic way and but for the cheating would have won a lot more…

One of the things I love most about the noise is the stories you folk have to tell about your many many (in some cases many many many many) years of following Glasgow Celtic.
I was born in 87. I was to young to remember the mood around Celtic in the 90s. I remember my 1st game was the Peter Grant testimonial against Bayern. I remember seeing my dad cry for the 1st time when we stopped them doing the 10....I vaguely remember the O'Neil era but I was to busy hanging about with my mates (all huns) and discovering girls 🤣🤣
My question to you is, is Ange the best manager Celtic have had since Jock Stein?? I know it's still early stages. But looking at what he's created so far, the mood around the club, the style of play we are seeing, is he, or does he have the potential to be the best since Jock??

Or is it to early to tell??

Or.....is there any manager you rate higher?? That came after Jock Stein
My bhoy was born in 87 and his first game was also Peter Grants testimonial 😁 What I remember most about it was Celtic sold packets of green popcorn and I got him some. His tongue was dyed green for two days after it 😂😂🤑

Will probably get kicked off the Noise or sectioned for this BUT I think the style of play under Brady was similar to Burns and Ange. They main problem under both of them was we struggled to score goals, where Ange seems to have found the way to do both
That may have been the style Brady hoped to play but the players he had available were poor by our standards and he didn't have the ability to improve the players he did have to a standard where they were capable of delivering what he demanded of them.

Respect that Brim. What, in your opinion, would Ange have to do to get above BR?? I assume get to a euro final to better O'Neil?
Also, who's style did you prefer out of O'Neil, BR and Ange?
To be better than the Rat... stay a while and be honest. Already better than O´Neil as he is buying on a shoestring and playing a better ´style´of football. Nobody on the planet better than Big Jock

Last edited:
To be better than the Rat... stay a while and be honest. Already better than O´Neil as he is buying on a shoestring and playing a better ´style´of football. Nobody on the planet better than Big Jock
Tbh our football under Rodgers became boring, too many sideways passes and pass backs to defence then goalie. He was obsessed with possession. I like the way we play under Ange its a good mixture and I reckon players are encouraged to have a go if they feel there is a chance even from outside the box, just look at Turnbulls latest couple of goals.
Ange makes the decisions, you dont see any conferences with lennedy and Ipad anymore, and I think Kewell has been a welcome addition.
Ange will see out this season for sure, after that, who knows. The sharks are circling.

Tbh our football under Rodgers became boring, too many sideways passes and pass backs to defence then goalie. He was obsessed with possession. I like the way we play under Ange its a good mixture and I reckon players are encouraged to have a go if they feel there is a chance even from outside the box, just look at Turnbulls latest couple of goals.
Ange makes the decisions, you dont see any conferences with lennedy and Ipad anymore, and I think Kewell has been a welcome addition.
Ange will see out this season for sure, after that, who knows. The sharks are circling.
Aye mate, totally agree with the crazy possession football, the playing 5 a side in our own penalty box wasn’t on for me, there’s times when you need to hoof it up the park 🤷‍♂️

Few factors in the mix.
I did a couple of searches to see where our spending is at compared to year's gone by.
The Celtic Way did a piece and table on yearly spends over a 20yr period.
The piece used an inflation metric as well with a baseline of 2001. I didn't care for that part much.

I've not completed the spreadsheet yet
(mrs dragged me to the cinema and I would of been staying at my maws if I didn't do a washing and clean the bathroom!).... but I thought the celtic way piece was missing an extra bit of data.
The wages comes from players, youth and back of house.
Mon's biggest spend under his was 40m odd.
The bit I wanted to know was what is that in modern dough?
Modern day that's 78m odd in Mons biggest year compared to our 2022 spend of 51m.
As I said Ange was quoted as 51m last year.
Comparisons of 380k + weekly spent per week in Mon's set up (full Celtic spend)

We knew Strachan took a hit but he still was above today's spending.

The numbers don't reflect the shift in spending in the sport.
We paid top wages. Used to.
Think about what our Seville squad were on + bonus.
Big boys on 30k plus.
Throw in a few odd names since.

Can you remember big bobo playing with the youth team on 30k before we shifted him on?

We have cut our cloth. To a remarkable 2nd skin. I've not seen so many capable bodies ready to slot in.
There is dead wood still but our core playing squad are all on modest earnings in comparison to anything we have seen before.

Can't see us losing a dime on this squad. There is still growth there as well.

Is Ange the best? His second crack at Europe will tell.
Can he spot a player? No doubt.
Can he bring them in with a volume of quality that keeps us ticking.
The answer is yes so far.

Bar a JJ fuck up with his release clause (not his call and jotters for the involved)
GG gone as he wanted out.

Keep in mind bhoys this is officially the last year of the sevco doping their squad ever.
FFP has finally landed.

The huns that realise this are spewing.
Out of contract and ageing assets galore.

Ange's media replies have been, when pushed reflective of this without being a total cunt.
That's been my mission to bam the huns I know up.
Every day.

I'm 35 so Lubos age.
Heard every day in the playground about my club being poor and skint.

I didn't have a pot to piss in when I was young. Nothing fancy. But we did your best.

The delight I have now is unmeasured.

I'll offer my boot to any hun neck

Alright, change it up a bit!! Style of play.
Has any team excited you more than Anges team, in terms of how they play?

I'm not trying to stear people towards big Ange....I'm trying to get stories of games you went to, after Jock, where you saw Celtic teams play, under a manager, where you got excited and thought...."fucking hell!! We have something special here"
Great question lubo,
Got me thinking way back to my childhood, and the first " bloody hell" and the goosebumps all over tingling sensation of knowing that I'm witnessing something special here.

That feeling that comes with being a tim and knowing to yourself " wow wow wow "

Ok so I'm going back here to 1983 and Davie Hay was our manager.

Hay wasn't the most successful manager we've had but before he was sacked in '87 (I think), he did deliver probably the most jawdroppingly exciting, incredible and unlikely final day title at love Street as hearts caved in Dundee to those 2 goals from Albert Kidd.

Back to '83 first and of course its the sporting Lisbon game, we had to win 3- 0 having lost 2-0 in Portugal.

I was 10 in the old rangers end and cheered sporting onto the field when they entered the field in green and white hoops, first shock of the night, older Celtic fans having a wee giggle and a gentle ribbing, " that's not Celtic wee man", so embarrassed 😄

This was no ordinary Celtic side , we were packed full of incredible talent.

Tommy Burns, McClair , McGrain, Roy Aitken, Davie Provan, Paul Mcstay, Murdo Macleod , and Judas Mo Johnston who already had hero status at Celtic his betrayal came later but that side , on its day was capable of taking on any side.

They had that Celtic magic about them and in front of the old jungle and old paradise you always had the feeling anything can happen with this crowd behind the team and it often did, was like the crowd sucked the ball into the net with telepathic energy 😅 an atmosphere to rival any of new paradise so loud.

I'm not saying Hay is on a par with Jock, Brendan or Martin but he deserves a special mention I believe for what he did deliver against all the odds.

Hay set his Celtic side up the traditional Celtic way , all out attack from all quarters, from the first minute to the last and breathtaking to watch.

He replaced Billy McNeil and strangely Billy replaced Davie straight back and returned as Celtic manager.

This was the biscuit tin Celtic era , the white/kelly biscuit tin, how we won anything is a testament to the managers and players of the time we were handicapped from within.

So many strange connections/coincidence then, sporting Lisbon were manged by Dr Jo Venglos at the time.

Watching Celtic dismantle them that night was my first real and true Celtic incredible, unbelievable , club that keeps on giving moment though I'd been before to the game I'd never witnessed anything like that before, I was still buzzing full of static electricity for a week afterwards⚡

3-0 at half time and sporting had gone by then, finished 5-0 (5-2 agg) only mystic Meg saw this coming but what Hay delivered a few seasons later was truly up there in my book with our greatest achievements.

Albert Kidd day!!

Celtic had to win by 3 clear goals at love Street and hope for a very unlikely Dundee side to take 3pts on the last day of the season against a Hearts side who went there on a 27 game unbeaten run they were a stick on for the title.

The best Hearts side in generations.

We looked after our part of the deal 4-0 at Ht If I remember correctly but with Hearts only needing to avoid defeat and 8 minutes remaining of the season it was despair , dejection total depression.

Back then everything came from rumours and whispers and if someone had a wee radio they were like a messenger of God.

When it comes through that the Dundee sub has scored with 7 minutes to go its the strangest sensation, is it true ? Is this real? Can't be , what?
Dare I believe it?

You're just terrified to believe it, is this a sick joke thing and all the crazy thoughts then within minutes bang he's scored again and Hearts have hibs'd it.
Glasgow, Paisley, everywhere erupts but still in my head I must see it on telly later haha.

This was not the moment I became a tim but it was definately like a confirmation of my being a tim for the rest of my life and I no longer need my brothers now I am emotionally invested and will take it from here for ever.

I'd tasted now twice the miraculous rollercoaster of emotions that comes with being a Celtic supporter and I'm signed up for life.

I get goosebumps now typing away remembering how those two days played out .

All supporters of all clubs have their stories of games and days but even non Celtic fans have agreed and its written by many online that there is something special going on here with Celtic that you just can't get elsewhere and you just can't put your finger on it , tip of your tongue type thing , trying to explain sheer emotional joy from the depths of certain despair , we are never beaten until its over and result officially recorded, say we are before that and watch the miraculous become true.

Against all the odds,
Davie Hay Celtic Legend 🍀

Last edited:
Great question lubo,
Got me thinking way back to my childhood, and the first " bloody hell" and the goosebumps all over tingling sensation of knowing that I'm witnessing something special here.

That feeling that comes with being a tim and knowing to yourself " wow wow wow "

Hay wasn't the most successful manager we've had but before he was sacked in '87 (I think), he did deliver probably the most jawdroppingly exciting, incredible and unlikely final day title at love Street as hearts caved in Dundee to those 2 goals from Albert Kidd.

Back to '83 first and of course its the sporting Lisbon game, we had to win 3- 0 having lost 2-0 in Portugal.

I was 10 in the old rangers end and cheered sporting onto the field when they entered the field in green and white hoops, first shock of the night, older Celtic fans having a wee giggle and a gentle ribbing, " that's not Celtic wee man", so embarrassed 😄

Tommy Burns, McClair , McGrain, Roy Aitken, Davie Provan, Paul Mcstay, Murdo Macleod , and Judas Mo Johnston who already had hero status at Celtic his betrayal came later but that side , on its day was capable of taking on any side.

They had that Celtic magic about them and in front of the old jungle and old paradise you always had the feeling anything can happen with this crowd behind the team and it often did, was like the crowd sacked the ball into the net with telepathic energy 😅 an atmosphere to rival any of new paradise so loud.

I'm not saying Hay is on a par with Jock, Brendan or Martin but he deserves a special mention I believe for what he did deliver against all the odds.

Hay set his Celtic side up the traditional Celtic way , all out attack from all quarters, from the first minute to the last and breathtaking to watch.

He replaced Billy McNeil and strangely Billy replaced Davie straight back and returned as Celtic manager.

This was the biscuit tin Celtic era , the white/kelly biscuit tin, how we won anything is a testament to the managers and players of the time we were handicapped from within.

So many strange connections/coincidence then, sporting Lisbon were manged by Dr Jo Venglos at the time.

Watching Celtic dismantle them that night was my first real and true Celtic incredible, unbelievable , club that keeps on giving moment though I'd been before to the game I'd never witnessed anything like that before, I was still buzzing full of static electricity for a week afterwords⚡

3-0 at half time and sporting had gone by then, finished 5-0 (5-2 agg) only mystic Meg saw this coming but what Hay delivered a few seasons later was truly up there in my book with our greatest achievements.

Albert Kidd day!!

Celtic had to win by 3 clear goals at love Street and hope for a very unlikely Dundee side to take 3pts on the last day of the season against a Hearts side who went there on a 27 game unbeaten run they were a stick on for the title.

We looked after our part of the deal 4-0 at Ht If I remember correctly but with Hearts only needing to avoid defeat and 8 minutes remaining of the season it was despair , dejection total depression.

Back then everything came from rumours and whispers and if someone had a wee radio they were like a messenger of God.

When it comes through that the Dundee sub has scored with 7 minutes to go its the strangest sensation, is it true ? Is this real? Can't be , what?
Dare I believe it?

You're just terrified to believe it, is this a sick joke thing and all the crazy thoughts then within minutes bang he's scored again and Hearts have hibs'd it.
Glasgow, Paisley, everywhere erupts but still in my head I must see it on telly later haha.

This was not the moment I became a tim but it was definately like a confirmation of my being a tim for the rest of my life and I no longer need my brothers now I am emotionally invested and will take it from here for ever.

I'd tasted now twice the miraculous rollercoaster of emotions that comes with being a Celtic supporter and I'm signed up for life.

All supporters of all clubs have their stories of games and days but even non Celtic fans have agreed and its written by many online that there is something special going on here with Celtic that you just can't get elsewhere and you just can't put your finger on it , tip of your tongue type thing , trying to explain sheer emotional joy from the depths of certain despair , we are never beaten until its over and result officially recorded, say we are before that and watch the miraculous become true.

Against all the odds,

Got goosebumps reading this Winter!!!

Great question lubo,

They had that Celtic magic about them and in front of the old jungle and old paradise you always had the feeling anything can happen with this crowd behind the team and it often did, was like the crowd sacked the ball into the net with telepathic energy 😅 an atmosphere to rival any of new paradise so loud.

Watching Celtic dismantle them that night was my first real and true Celtic incredible, unbelievable , club that keeps on giving moment though I'd been before to the game I'd never witnessed anything like that before, I was still buzzing full of static electricity for a week afterwords⚡

Albert Kidd day!!

Dare I believe it?

Against all the odds,
Thanks for that Winter that brought back the Vodka/whisky/ Mars bars nightmare that turned into a chocolate/vodka/whisky orgasm.
When we returned ti work at Bilston Glen the Jambos who paid out was one of my best days the clink clink of bottles and Mars bars yeah Mars bars was the big bet at the pit I had sore teeth for weeks
We went to the Gunners club from a golf outing and back home pished
One of my buds at Leven links gc you cross a bridge to the first tee he fell in with his clubs he didn’t make the course.
Still to this day laugh out loud and love the pain of all the Jambos that St Mirren lay down that day there pain is 💚orgasmicalyvodkaishmarsnormous

HH 🍀

First off: a huge thank you to Winter for his post. Thanks for bringing back to us the sheer indescribable euphoria of that day in Paisley. Truly never to be forgotten.
Thanks, also, for reminding us that there is much more to talk about than refs, VAR, or perceived cheating. A wonderful post. A credit to both Winter himself, and The Noise a whole. Thanks again Winter.

Members online

Latest posts

Back