Betting Thread

Well that's incredible , that last paragraph boggles the brain.
I put a search in " when did they start making the nationals fences smaller and this came up.

In 2012 the wooden core of many of the 16 fences were replaced with a more flexible plastic for safety reasons, while a number of fences have been reduced in height slightly over the years, landing areas have been levelled off and screening at the canal turn now prevents horses from being able to see the sharp turn.

Something that's been changed, whether it's the fences,landing areas , I dont know , is seeing more horses dying either during the race or as a result of participating in it.

I was questioning myself earlier and thinking , uch I've likely just not paid attention but no , it's difficult to miss the black tarpaulin and remaining runners ushered past the next hurdle.
Cant remember which year but I'm sure during one national there was at least 2 such hurdles and tarpaulin so horse and riders waved on by as the cameras dont want to show " the upsetting images " aye right.

That's figure of horses dead since 2000-2012 , nearly half of the 86 horses since the first national,
Well the national normally has 40 runners so in just over a decade a full field of runners have died.

I dont know anywhere near enough to know though horse ages , combined horses and jockey weight and I think perhaps ballast to even out the field is used .

I am shocked by the numbers wasnt just not paying attention.
Maybe modern training leaves the animals more vulnerable all in the aim to win bigger prizes?

No idea though?

Funny that this discussion was brought up....I didn't mention that on arrival to the national there are protests referencing the cruelty to the horses involved and indeed they highlight the deaths.
It's a whole lot different when you see it live with the horse being whipped on the final run in and when you see the the horse warming down from the exhaustion of the long race in the paddock.
My Wife was with me on our first experience and was actually upset at what she saw and couldn't bare to watch as the horses either fell or at the end when they recovered from a the race. Swore she would never be back or watch again.

Typical, animals suffer for people's enjoyment
There's so much money involved, it probably won't change either
In ALberta they have their big Stampede (Rodeo) a big drunkfest carnival where they have bull riding, horse roping, barrell racing and chuck wagon races
The chuck wagon races always have horrendous accidents with horse being injured and having to be put down
We have a bi rodeo about an hour from us, but you'd never get me to attend
Animal cruelty to the max imho

Back