Beyond This Season: Hope Needed

ComfortingTruth

Can anyone give me some reason to believe in a brighter Celtic future? I've totally lost faith for the first time ever. A lot of people saying it's like the early 90s again but, truth is, I believed it could change then and I don't now. Today's Pravda-like editorial on CQN sounded like the board were briefing us through their favoured blog-son to "get real" i.e. have zero expectations. Is the appointment of someone like Jack Ross as manager in the summer, with Lawwell remaining in de facto charge, really the best we can hope for? No CL preparation. No exciting signings. More managed decline. Bleak.

Can anyone give me some reason to believe in a brighter Celtic future? I've totally lost faith for the first time ever. A lot of people saying it's like the early 90s again but, truth is, I believed it could change then and I don't now. Today's Pravda-like editorial on CQN sounded like the board were briefing us through their favoured blog-son to "get real" i.e. have zero expectations. Is the appointment of someone like Jack Ross as manager in the summer, with Lawwell remaining in de facto charge, really the best we can hope for? No CL preparation. No exciting signings. More managed decline. Bleak.
Yes things can change.

Any problems facing us affect the other clubs in out league just a bad if not worse.

We are still in a luxurious position of owning most of our assets outright.
May not be valued as highly as they once were but that can change with a better system on/off park.

Wages are too high imo. Easily fixed. replacing high earners should not be that difficult since the low earners aren't actually much less talented than the high earners. if we start getting costs controlled and hubris cleansed to create the proper foundation for talent growth then it can be changed very quickly.

Our nearest rivals who at minute are above us this season (bear in mind this season has been fraught with covid restrictions for everybody making game a little less normal with no fans and different dynamics of social bonding) have not really paid outright for most of they assets are seriously struggling to break even even with good runs in europe and thats before they all want CL bonuses and wages to reflect they are champions. Their ability to fix their on field issues that will come with the added hubris expectation from their fans with the mythical CL gold (mostly chewed up in bonuses even if you get it, preventing bringing in higher grade players)

We need to return to basics imo

Stop throwing money at mercenaries

Buy players for positions that need improved rather than oh he looks good dribbler have him even though we already have 15 guys for his position.

This crap of managed decline is crap.

Spending beyond the income streams is real decline.

You cant compete with clubs getting over 100M tv cash more by trying to compete with the for players.

We need to recalibrate the entire ethos back to what Celtic was always about.

Putting out the best team in Scotland.

Beyond Scotland is a pipe dream if you dont get the subsidy required to compete outside scotland.

Working to budgets is not managed decline. its creating value that will grow over time in any market.

trying to afford non value added players will kill the club.

Sevco fans think their club is healthy

its not

unless they sell their assets they are going Burst.

then they have the same so called managed decline, even if they get good prices. But while they have going concern status they will not get the prices they claim their players are worth.

our team is not shit.

the stupid tactics and poor management all season are the biggest problem.

hard bit is getting the manager with gumption and the eyes and the knowledge to tighten the cogs under a better system.

An actual football manager who understand defense midfield and attack and several formations and can spot players who can play his systems well.

in short bring wages into proper growth range and then add players at our wage levels

And balance the squad to suit the formations club intends to use that season and keep first team squad around 25 players who all get regular chances

oh and its nothing like 90s

its sevco that are burst

we just flushed lotta cash down the pan in recent years

that was never the case then.

Propaganda from the orcs which pretty much is msm will tell you its decline.

No decline is when you overspend.

We are overspending therefore until that changes we will decline.

Right now we are in the "dead zone", we won't win the league this season and the way we are playing unlikely to win the scottish cup. To go from the last 12 trophies to zero is incredible to comprehend.

I try to have a positive disposition and hope that this will be rectified for next season. Although the board have been negligent, I'm not sure many would have thought this way last August.

As painful as it is, my hope is that Neil will go (he's still a legend) and hope that we're planning for next season, most likely with a lot of players moving on. The progress for me will be winning the league next season, but just as important becoming a force in Europe.

Tin hat on time, but I'd rather be a force in Europe rather than chasing ten in a row!!

Keep the faith guys, I don't really care about them on the other side of the city. We are Celtic!

Lennons legend status is down the drain for me. Players that have gone on to shaft celtic, wether it be joining our rivals or attacking us in the media, have done less damage to the club than lennon. He should have put the club before his pocket when a reserve sparta team hammered us and every game after that where it was obvious nothing was changing. I dont need hope for next season. We still have the best players in Scotland. Most of them have won several winners medals in Scotland. What we need is a decent manager who can get the best out of them. Lennon can fuck off and take his "legend" status with his big pay off....im sure he will be popping up on sky in a couple of years bashing us when he cant get another management job.

Welcome to the Noise CT.

I think TET’s response summed it up really well. I think we have to accept that the rest of this season is going to be a struggle. But the mood music seems to me that both Lennon and Lawwell are on the way out. That is going to take a bit of time as they both look to be digging in for their pay-offs.

So the reasons you’re seeking.

New direction at the top of the club.

Hopefully a new young forward thinking manager (not Jack Ross and definitely not John Kennedy!!)

I don’t think there will be the wholesale turnover of playing squad that the MSM are creaming their pants over. I think Eddy and Ntcham will go, and I really think Eddy will go before the end of this window to balance the books 😕.
But I’m hopeful about Ajer and Christie staying, if only because the market conditions for them may be better at the end of next season.

Get rid of some of the dead wood/loans like Duffy, and some of the signings who are plainly not up to it - sorry Paddy, Barkas, Ajeti

Some new blood in - mix of young hungry players and experience in key positions.

Jamesie back from injury - him missing this season has really shown what we he brings to the team.

Not that I usually bother about Them, but looking at their state. They have had a few players who have had ‘career seasons’ - they won’t hit those heights again. The likes of mcgregor, Defoe, Davis - a year older. I think gerrard may be on his way sooner rather than later. Plus if they don’t make the CL group they will be in serious financial shit. Again. The point about all of this is there is an illusion of stability over there compared to us at the moment - let’s not lose sight of that fact thats what it is - an illusion.

Maybe I’m being a bit glass half full but there is hope out there. 🙂

Welcome to the Noise CT.

I think TET’s response summed it up really well. I think we have to accept that the rest of this season is going to be a struggle. But the mood music seems to me that both Lennon and Lawwell are on the way out. That is going to take a bit of time as they both look to be digging in for their pay-offs.

So the reasons you’re seeking.

New direction at the top of the club.

Hopefully a new young forward thinking manager (not Jack Ross and definitely not John Kennedy!!)

I don’t think there will be the wholesale turnover of playing squad that the MSM are creaming their pants over. I think Eddy and Ntcham will go, and I really think Eddy will go before the end of this window to balance the books 😕.
But I’m hopeful about Ajer and Christie staying, if only because the market conditions for them may be better at the end of next season.

Get rid of some of the dead wood/loans like Duffy, and some of the signings who are plainly not up to it - sorry Paddy, Barkas, Ajeti

Some new blood in - mix of young hungry players and experience in key positions.

Jamesie back from injury - him missing this season has really shown what we he brings to the team.

Not that I usually bother about Them, but looking at their state. They have had a few players who have had ‘career seasons’ - they won’t hit those heights again. The likes of mcgregor, Defoe, Davis - a year older. I think gerrard may be on his way sooner rather than later. Plus if they don’t make the CL group they will be in serious financial shit. Again. The point about all of this is there is an illusion of stability over there compared to us at the moment - let’s not lose sight of that fact thats what it is - an illusion.

Maybe I’m being a bit glass half full but there is hope out there. 🙂

There’s always hope.....and a bit of positive strategic planning would be welcome...

Easy , the huns are still shite and we had a indifferent season, but here is real stats, out of the last 20 years in the titles which included Rangers 1872 deceased and now includes a new club 2012, Celtic have won 15 of the last twenty titles, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 also in the period from 2012 we have lifted 4 trebles and completed a historic 9 in a row as it is our double 9 in a row and concluded a historic invincible treble.
A good time to be a Tim would you agree, stats that show how proffesional Celtic have been in all matters, Also we have shipped out players who have been the driving forces for their new clubs. Tierney, VVD, Winnyama, Armstrong, Dembele

Full

Kieran Tierney to Arsenal – £25m

Brendan Rodgers & coaching staff to Leicester (compensation) – £7m

Moussa Dembele to Lyon – £19.7m

Virgil van Dijk to Liverpool (sell-on fee) – £7.6m

Stuart Armstrong to Southampton – £7.16m

Erik Sviatchenko to Midtylland – £1.03m

Liam Henderson to Bari – £108k

Emilio Izaguirre to Al-Feiha – £1.26m

Stefan Johansen to Fulham – £2.07m

Stefan Scepovic to Getafe – £1.2m

Victor Wanyama from Southampton to Spurs (sell-on) – £1.3m

Virgil van Dijk to Southampton – £14.13m

Adam Matthews to Sunderland – £2.52m

Teemu Pukki to Brondby – £610k

Fraser Forster to Southampton – £11.25m

Total

£102million

Last edited:
Things will get better. When? I don't know.
But it is the nature of an institution like Celtic, to have good and bad periods.

My disappointment is based on selfishness, and I am sure it is the same for many others. I make no apologies for it, nor do I want this to be viewed as morbid. Far from it.

Amongst many great achievements, I have now been lucky enough, to have seen two NIARs. Maybe I am being greedy, but I doubt very much, if I will be around to witness the next one.

That is why this season, with its high hopes meant so much to me, and why I am angry and disappointed with those, whom I feel are responsible.

It would have been easier to accept, had we been undone by a superior team, with better management and superior finances. But this is not the case.

To have self imploded in this most momentous, and historical of seasons, is unforgivable.

But looking forward is the thing to do. With hope and positivity. Even if it takes a bit of time, we will get there.

But I don't want those who have been responsible, for any hand, act or part in this season's failure, to be part of the future of our club.

Our leadership, on and off the pitch has been dismal. They have treated the finest of supporters as lemmings. They stood far back, in a safe place, and watched us go over the cliff. Without remorse.

Ps. Maybe I will be there to enjoy the next run. Third time lucky !

Last edited:
One key fact that is often overlooked is the injury to James Forrest. Now I know he can sometimes be a frustrating player and is often the go-to fall guy for some supporters, but he does contribute a lot of goals and assists - often at crucial times when we are struggling.

Having done a very quick check, by my reckoning our stats for the 20/21 season when Jamesie's was on the pitch were:

Won = 10
Drawn = 1
Loss = 1

And the stats for us after his injury:

Won = 10
Draw = 8 *
Loss = 7

* although we went on to win on penalties against lower league Hearts in the final, so you can probably count 1 of these as a win.

Now I'm not suggesting that this is the only - or even biggest - factor in our poor form, but we are definitely missing his huge contribution on the the scoresheet. Hopefully some of our fans now appreciate what he contributes to the side and will get off his back.

Back