Big Jack Charlton dies at 85

Big Jack was a legend..An English manager who the Irish took to as one of their own..He gave me so many happy days growing up when he managed the Republic..Built a team of premier league players into a world force with getting to quarters of Italia 90 ..Came across as such a brill and interesting guy who called a shovel a shovel..

RIP Big Jack

RIP Jack Charlton.

I met him once when I was out walking my dog in the mid 80's when I lived in Dunoon, spoke to him for about 20 minutes or so he was up in Scotland to go fishing and believe it or not he was digging for worms, he was taken with my dog and we chatted about dog training and he gave me some advice.

Lovely Guy.

RIP Jack,
Legend is a word often used, but he was a true legend , great memories with him in charge of the Irish team, took a team of journeyman professionals, and turned them into the 4th best team into the world, playing straight forward, no nonsense British football, the story of him never being able to buy a drink Ireland is hilarious, every pub he went into people would always buy him a drink, but being a gentleman he always bought a round for EVERYONE in the pub, always paid by cheque, the cheques were NEVER cashed by the landlord, if he ever went back to the same pub, there was the cheque, in a frame with a photo of himself pride of place above the bar....genus...🤣🤣

Wee Jack related story. Was in Belfast '94 Over seeing friends. Ireland had just beaten Italy, place was mental weans going crazy.
Any way RUC patrol comes down the street.
This policeman says to one of the weans " sure it took an Englishman to get you there"
Quick as whip the wee Bhoy repiled " sure it take's 20 British soldiers for you to walk down ma steet" 😂 feckin belter. True story.

Met him once at the rear entrance to an office that his brother Bobby owned in Hale Barns near Altrincham. I worked for the company next door. I said " morning" and Jack responded in kind. Bobby however was a miserable bastard. Same scenario many times and i was always ignored.
RIP Jackie🍀

paddy.jpeg

In the dressing room after the game Jack Charlton thanked us all, and his final words were: ‘We’ve had a great World Cup, we’ve had a great time, go and have great holidays…’

“… ‘Oh and by the way Packie, the Pope would have saved that!’”

Members online

No members online now.

Back