BLACK '47

Just a quick line, Black '47 now on Netflix.........definitely worth a watch!
cheers for shout

watched it.

good movie.

But it really didn't tell the story of the famine with any gusto, was really just a thriller about a single man who served a regime that shat all over him.

Maybe the real story would get vetoed by the sensors

After all we live in a country that denies its crimes, covers them up and blames the victims.

I have a cousin who told me the other day that these Mickey bar stewards actually want a memorial for the famine, why don't they just go home if they want a memorial here.

he went on to tell me about how the people of Ulster lost 3 counties to the south after a democratic vote try the people of ulster under Carson secured victory?

I replied nonchalantly as if I never heard about any of these things,

What year was this?

he said 1912

I said but the partition was 1921

he said nope 1912 year uff was formed?

wow I didn't realise Ireland was free state during world war 1

yep he said.

So before 1912 Ireland was part of uk?

yeah but they were always scum.

- I asked is this the same scum that was starved in 1840s? Uk starved its own people in Ireland so they were forced to go elsewhere to try and stay alive? Some came here, moved from uk to uk? And they should go home now because they want to remember what Westminster government imposed on their ancestors?

Did you know that both you and me are descended from these scum you think deserved to starve?

he looked at me blankly, as if it just registered for first time ever, then eyes went normal. that was years ago man, time to move on, if they don't like it here they should feck right off.

And that is my cousin. his father was catholic, he grandad was extreme orangeman. his father was told to bolt when he was young by his grandad coz he was proper provo.

his grandad (deceased) was married to my mothers sister whose father was catholic and his grandfather moved to Glasgow during famine to find food.

Couldnae make it up my wee cousin trying to convince me that history of over 100 years ago is not relevant, not even family history.

But 1690 is part of his culture.

Now he is a 90 minute bigot, his words

What chance have you got with 100 percent billy bigot with no family connection.

Even when I tried to explain it better to him he told me plain I've been brainwashed.

I. didn't even know 3 counties were stole from ulster in 1912.

Just wow!

Living in not so merry England as you’d expect I’ve got the odd English friend. I’ve got one who often tries to impress me with her knowledge of all things Irish/ Scottish/ Celtic. I kind of humour her cos she is quite sweet really and harmless but even I’ve got my limits. Met her on Monday for coffee..... oh she says.... I’m reading a book about the troubles..... have you ever heard of the Black and Tans my husband said it was once a drink...????I had reached my limit !!!! To say she got a very direct abridged Irish history is putting it mildly

Living in not so merry England as you’d expect I’ve got the odd English friend. I’ve got one who often tries to impress me with her knowledge of all things Irish/ Scottish/ Celtic. I kind of humour her cos she is quite sweet really and harmless but even I’ve got my limits. Met her on Monday for coffee..... oh she says.... I’m reading a book about the troubles..... have you ever heard of the Black and Tans my husband said it was once a drink...????I had reached my limit !!!! To say she got a very direct abridged Irish history is putting it mildly
Get her telt lassie!!

Well it IS a drink as is Black and Tan Sweet
Alan Partidge's alter ego Martin Brennan sang about then a couple of weeks back ??

HH?

Well it IS a drink as is Black and Tan Sweet
Alan Partidge's alter ego Martin Brennan sang about then a couple of weeks back ??

HH?
Yep down south of the border it’s a half of bitter and half of Guinness in a pint glass but poor old Jilly and her other half knew nothing about its history so I helped with her education but aye she was right about the swalley side of it

My late dad was in the Argyles during WW11. When I was a wee girl I remember his singing about the Black and Tans and I grew up on all the usual songs that many a Celtic fan will know. A fond memory as a wean was a family trip to a pub in London’s East end after an outing. We were in he garden there were no kids in pubs in those days. It was quite clearly a very English red neck pub and my fathers broad Glaswegian accent seemed none to popular. My dad bless him decided that he would give them his rendition of Kevin Barry which he did standing on a garden table. I still remember it and smile.HH

Me with 6 of them in the pub near Christmas..5 a side final reunion...decided to test their knowledge and start a discussion as they were starting to get a wee bit cheeky..they were goin on about Christmas and the running about they were doin,money spent ect...I said "I don't know why u do it..it's Catholic ,it's a Catholic Feast"...Staunch hun..after deep thought..." naw it's no".....I said ..Christ Mass...mass of Christ...phones oot.. 6 zombies googling it...then silence...I am cruel sometimes

Aye but ye have to be cruel to be kind. After all you were improving their education. It must have been hilarious..... a wonder they worked out how to google..... they must have been using the collective brain cell ???

Aye but ye have to be cruel to be kind. After all you were improving their education. It must have been hilarious..... a wonder they worked out how to google..... they must have been using the collective brain cell ???
The look on their faces..they were aghast...all these years ...and they didn't know....they really need to get educated ...I have not been invited back.

They were linked...
"Resistance is futile you will be assimilated to the collective."
Honest Star Trek is true, but the earth is a sphere

Members online

Back