Bloggers! What are they good for?

TTQtKK⚠️

https://thecelticblog.com/2021/06/b...tic-blogger-to-assess-the-club-or-promote-it/

I read this article today via the Celtic Blog and thought the author tackled the subject in a pretty balanced manner. This along with comments from other noisers relating to the speculation around Celtic got me thinking. Not so much what are bloggers good for? but what are we looking for from them?

In the main, I want them to cast a critical eye over the conduct of the club custodians, i.e. subject our club to the scrutiny that was missing when the huns went in to liquidation. The reason for that is that player speculation, results, and criticism is already out there in some form or another but I want our club critiqued by people who's goal is surely not to take us down.

I can log into Videocelts and the Celtic Blog. But try and post?? When I press enter I am logged out, contacted them and got a vague reply. They say less than 5% of people complain about poor service, that is why large firms do so much to keep customers happy. Those two blogs do not care, yet paint the Celtic Board as "Not caring enough".
Pots and kettles

The title of the thread would make a great first line in a song "bloggers, what are they good for? Absolutely nothing......"

I suppose some a them are ok.....
Judge each one on its own merits. Happy to accept criticism directed at The Celtic Star and even Celtic Noise but the rest have nothing to do with me. The rest may be regarded in a more favourable light than The Celtic Star - in which case we'd have to try harder to improve - otherwise what is the point?

A wee history to this. The first Celtic fan media was The Shamrock in the early 1960s - we have written about that on The Celtic Star, it's a fascinating story. The Celtic Board were so freaked out by it that they set up their own publication - The Celtic View, to counter the content that was providing critical feedback on the club through what was a pretty barren period for Celtic.

Push forward to the early years of Peter Lawwell's tenure and as the internet was an emerging thing in terms of football interaction, he gathered some of the early wave of Celtic bloggers and gave them access some would argue in exchange for influence. A few didn't play the game (ETims for example) but several did, some more than others. Lawwell even went so far as to get NDA (non disclosure agreements) signed, so these bloggers got to know inside information but this was only ever shared with the support when it suited Lawwell.

You could argue that it gave the club an informal channel to get information out there and this was perhaps at its peak around the collapse of Rangers FC (a story James refers to in his article) but at a price.

That may well have been paid by Auldheid and this who supported Res 12 but that is a long and bitter story, maybe for a book.

Those first wave of Celtic fan sites have faded in significance and readership and have been replaced by a new wave of sites. Currently Celtic are attempting for the first time to build a proper media relationship with the fans media, as I have talked about openly on here and on The Celtic Star. With guys like Joe from Video Celts, James from Celtic Blog and myself involved in this there is NO CHANCE of any similar tarnished relationships emerging.

Lawwell leaves this month anyway. Dom McKay is from a Communications background. We have seen this week that the club are still in times of trouble heading back to their long established friendships with the red tops to leak information on the new manager etc but that doesn't stop the various Celtic sites picking up on this information - we all know where it is coming from - and taking it forward.

I see our role is to support Celtic and to stand up for Celtic, which is our club. I don't mean by that standing up for the board, or any particular shareholder of even a manager. They are not Celtic, they're just involved in Celtic at that particular time.

Also I believe that is is important to provide a platform for alternative views to my own. Niall J writes opinion pieces all the time and often we disagree and debate - we were at opposite sides of the argument on whether Celtic should furlough staff and aged that out openly on the sites (turns out I was right LOL).

Other sites like Celts Are Here, 67HailHail etc are also very popular in terms of audience size and along with The Celtic Star, Video Celts and The Celtic Blog are all working with Celtic in the correct fashion, none being unduly influenced or manipulated behind the scenes.

If you add the reach of all these sites together you'd pretty much cover the entire Celtic support who go online. Newspaper sales are falling off a cliff, the pandemic has been very bad for them and they are essentially going to have their future online, where it is a 365 day a year, 24 hour a day operation.

All of these sites listed above have considerably bigger audiences that the club's own website.

Should mention that there's also the podcasts and broadcast fan media sites, much harder to include them in this as they each have their own niche audiences and it's probably best to separate the two sectors. The only podcast I listen to is The Celtic Huddle hosted by former player Mark Wilson, which isn't even fan media but is certainly new media.

I have argued in Fan Media meetings with Celtic that the club should set up a Media Hub where there own media staff could work alongside the Fans media to provide content material as required - maybe match photographs, video access etc The 'blogs' and the 'podcasts' though have very different needs.

Over the past few weeks there have been 'mixed' media conferences - with fan media and MSM journalists there (none of these old sites have bothered showing up). It's fair to say that the Fans media has performed professionally in these media events and have asked questions much more in tune to what the fans want asked. These have been low profile events though but we have been promised a fans media conference with the new manager (delayed for obvious reasons) and the new CEO, who as I have already said on here, is well aware of my own views on plenty of things that Celtic need to improve on.

I can log into Videocelts and the Celtic Blog. But try and post?? When I press enter I am logged out, contacted them and got a vague reply. They say less than 5% of people complain about poor service, that is why large firms do so much to keep customers happy. Those two blogs do not care, yet paint the Celtic Board as "Not caring enough".
Pots and kettles
The exact same with me , the most infuriating password system i've ever seen in my life , and when it was working on the Celtic Blog my comments weren't getting posted but huns trolls were , i just gave up with the two of them altogether

The exact same with me , the most infuriating password system i've ever seen in my life , and when it was working on the Celtic Blog my comments weren't getting posted but huns trolls were , i just gave up with the two of them altogether
You'll find that's why a lot of folk stopped using that site and moved to here between the hun trolls and the ''in brendan we trust pish '' was enough to tip the balance

A perfect example of what happens when a blogger gets too cozy with the hierarchy is Paul67 who runs CQN. Over the years he's got very paly with PL. Gone is any editorial neutrality, and some of the stuff he now writes sounds as if it was directly dictated by Peter Lawwell himself. Quite funny as the blog has the tag line, 'Celtic News, Not Lazy Journalism'.

A perfect example of what happens when a blogger gets too cozy with the hierarchy is Paul67 who runs CQN. Over the years he's got very paly with PL. Gone is any editorial neutrality, and some of the stuff he now writes sounds as if it was directly dictated by Peter Lawwell himself. Quite funny as the blog has the tag line, 'Celtic News, Not Lazy Journalism'.
Each to their own.

I have given up with some of these 'Celtic Bogs' ( not a typo ) as they are nothing but clickbait for advertising .

Naming names - Hail Hail - I mentioned this some time ago on here . The main writer was feeding us Celtic 'stories ' on Hail Hail while also doing the same for a Sevco blog ! ( feeding them Sevco shit - not Celtic shit !!! )
I called this out in the comments and was banned from the site . The writer i complained about is still prominent on this blog . So it was not the individual but this was the owners of the site - making money from both ends !

I read the Celtic Star which is a cut above all the others .
They are , in the main , very superficial blogs - when you've read their Headline , that is basically all they have . Few details and fewer sources .

The Celtic Star has some very interesting articles and is a goldmine for those who , unlike me , were not around during the great Stein era ( and before , unfortunately !)
I don't comment much but find it easy to do if I wish to . Too many others , as has been mentioned earlier , have you jumping through hoops ( see what I did there ! ) but are basically wanting your info to pass on to advertisers .

Love The Noise !

HH

Pots and kettles
That’s a good point I can’t post on those either. Gave up a while ago

Judge each one on its own merits. Happy to accept criticism directed at The Celtic Star and even Celtic Noise but the rest have nothing to do with me. The rest may be regarded in a more favourable light than The Celtic Star - in which case we'd have to try harder to improve - otherwise what is the point?
WC not trying to single any blog out or criticise. As I mentioned in OP the title is a bit misleading but definitely more musical. The real question is, what do we want from our Celtic media

A wee history to this. The first Celtic fan media was The Shamrock in the early 1960s - we have written about that on The Celtic Star, it's a fascinating story. The Celtic Board were so freaked out by it that they set up their own publication - The Celtic View, to counter the content that was providing critical feedback on the club through what was a pretty barren period for Celtic.

Push forward to the early years of Peter Lawwell's tenure and as the internet was an emerging thing in terms of football interaction, he gathered some of the early wave of Celtic bloggers and gave them access some would argue in exchange for influence. A few didn't play the game (ETims for example) but several did, some more than others. Lawwell even went so far as to get NDA (non disclosure agreements) signed, so these bloggers got to know inside information but this was only ever shared with the support when it suited Lawwell.

You could argue that it gave the club an informal channel to get information out there and this was perhaps at its peak around the collapse of Rangers FC (a story James refers to in his article) but at a price.

That may well have been paid by Auldheid and this who supported Res 12 but that is a long and bitter story, maybe for a book.

Those first wave of Celtic fan sites have faded in significance and readership and have been replaced by a new wave of sites. Currently Celtic are attempting for the first time to build a proper media relationship with the fans media, as I have talked about openly on here and on The Celtic Star. With guys like Joe from Video Celts, James from Celtic Blog and myself involved in this there is NO CHANCE of any similar tarnished relationships emerging.

Lawwell leaves this month anyway. Dom McKay is from a Communications background. We have seen this week that the club are still in times of trouble heading back to their long established friendships with the red tops to leak information on the new manager etc but that doesn't stop the various Celtic sites picking up on this information - we all know where it is coming from - and taking it forward.

I see our role is to support Celtic and to stand up for Celtic, which is our club. I don't mean by that standing up for the board, or any particular shareholder of even a manager. They are not Celtic, they're just involved in Celtic at that particular time.

Also I believe that is is important to provide a platform for alternative views to my own. Niall J writes opinion pieces all the time and often we disagree and debate - we were at opposite sides of the argument on whether Celtic should furlough staff and aged that out openly on the sites (turns out I was right LOL).

Other sites like Celts Are Here, 67HailHail etc are also very popular in terms of audience size and along with The Celtic Star, Video Celts and The Celtic Blog are all working with Celtic in the correct fashion, none being unduly influenced or manipulated behind the scenes.

If you add the reach of all these sites together you'd pretty much cover the entire Celtic support who go online. Newspaper sales are falling off a cliff, the pandemic has been very bad for them and they are essentially going to have their future online, where it is a 365 day a year, 24 hour a day operation.

All of these sites listed above have considerably bigger audiences that the club's own website.

Should mention that there's also the podcasts and broadcast fan media sites, much harder to include them in this as they each have their own niche audiences and it's probably best to separate the two sectors. The only podcast I listen to is The Celtic Huddle hosted by former player Mark Wilson, which isn't even fan media but is certainly new media.

I have argued in Fan Media meetings with Celtic that the club should set up a Media Hub where there own media staff could work alongside the Fans media to provide content material as required - maybe match photographs, video access etc The 'blogs' and the 'podcasts' though have very different needs.

Over the past few weeks there have been 'mixed' media conferences - with fan media and MSM journalists there (none of these old sites have bothered showing up). It's fair to say that the Fans media has performed professionally in these media events and have asked questions much more in tune to what the fans want asked. These have been low profile events though but we have been promised a fans media conference with the new manager (delayed for obvious reasons) and the new CEO, who as I have already said on here, is well aware of my own views on plenty of things that Celtic need to improve on.
This post was worth it for this 👆💚

CQN was one of the first I got to reading. Must say I don’t bother so much now. Perhaps not for the same reasons as you Brimc but think you might be right here.

I'm not criticising the Celtic star or the Celtic noise. If I'm honest I was only being a smart arse. But there are certain blogs that have already been mentioned elsewhere that would depress ye so I just avoid them. Some of them regurgitate the same stories from other sites and even two or three days later. But like I said the majority of them I ignore. But some of them are ok.

I have given up with some of these 'Celtic Bogs' ( not a typo ) as they are nothing but clickbait for advertising .

Naming names - Hail Hail - I mentioned this some time ago on here . The main writer was feeding us Celtic 'stories ' on Hail Hail while also doing the same for a Sevco blog ! ( feeding them Sevco shit - not Celtic shit !!! )
I called this out in the comments and was banned from the site . The writer i complained about is still prominent on this blog . So it was not the individual but this was the owners of the site - making money from both ends !

I read the Celtic Star which is a cut above all the others .
They are , in the main , very superficial blogs - when you've read their Headline , that is basically all they have . Few details and fewer sources .

The Celtic Star has some very interesting articles and is a goldmine for those who , unlike me , were not around during the great Stein era ( and before , unfortunately !)
I don't comment much but find it easy to do if I wish to . Too many others , as has been mentioned earlier , have you jumping through hoops ( see what I did there ! ) but are basically wanting your info to pass on to advertisers .

Love The Noise !

HH
💯 blank so many of those sites

I kind of suspected that the title of the thread would lead to criticism but with regard to the main question, What do we, the fans, want from bloggers? I’d really love to hear noisers views. My view in the OP

Bloggers are JUST giving their opinion, no difference or more important that yours or my options, just they publish theirs, which is a great shame as it’s not easy to wipe yir arse on an iPad as it is to wipe it with the daily record 💩

Last edited:

Thanks WC.
I would still be very much of a dinosaur in this techno world and don't even know what clickbait is all about.
Stopped reading most of these so called blogs months ago as I just find most of them to be made up shite without any substance whatsoever, and anyone could do that if they had the know how.
But I will give credit where its due and I admire the way the celtic star is run.
Give some great articles on the history of the club and to remember great occasions in the past that won't be forgotten.
I also respect the fact that you can inform supporters upon opinions and have a fantastic forum, for where you can back up and stand by what you claim and say.
So respect to yourself and Niall J.
Personally now I have far more respect for the members upon the noise and value there opinions weather I agree or disagree and always open to challenge opinion.
I have always had a belief that many of these sites nowadays can have a huge impact on people's mental health with some of the shite that they are allowed to print as the impact still remains unchallenged.
For many of our supporters including myself, I believe the actions of the club over the past week have been of total selfishness without a bit of consideration for so many who invest there money and hold the club so close to there hearts.
It is also very unfair to keep playing these guessing games which the blogs seem to promote.
I don't try to comment on them as I value the opinions on here more so and any articles worth talking about are posted upon the noise so you can get a far better opinion upon them, as we also have great members with even greater knowledge imo.
Like I said, great respect to yourself and Niall on the way you relate your information and more so to the very valued members upon the noise, where you can feel the connection with true celtic supporters regardless of weather you agree or disagree, like or dislike.
Still miss the imput from MD, and hope we hear from the likes of BB, Hoopy and SP amongst others as there imput is sorely missed.
Will look forward to Niall J balanced opinion upon new players who may at some stage be bought into the club.
So keep up the great work WC and hope all of us upon the noise continue with our varied opinions as I know I would be totally lost without it.

Members online

Latest posts

Back