Bobby Brown - A Gentlemanly Ranger

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
David Potter pays his respects. Please no bad language or tribalism on this thread. Their support reached the gutter on 29 December but we should not follow them on the same path.

David Potter pays his respects. Please no bad language or tribalism on this thread. Their support reached the gutter on 29 December but we should not follow them on the same path.

Great post WCB we are better than them and it always saddens me to see the minority lower themselves to their level. I've always had no time for sectarianism (once I realised what it was at about 10-11 yrs old) my great grandfather Archie Kyle played for the once Glasgow rangers , signed from parkhead. Though I'm unsure if he was the first catholic to play for them I'm pretty sure he was the first of the 1900s and possibly one of the so called 'catholic 3' a prolific goalscorer my great grandfather Archie Kyle made 110 League and Scottish Cup appearances for the club and scored 52 goals during his four-season spell. He was unable to claim any major honours in an era when rivals Celtic were dominant, the nearest being a runners-up medal from the 1904–05 Scottish Cup. Which is good to hear haha. I had to copy and paste his stats there, he also played for Blackburn. As a child being told of him, (my mother's grandfather, also grandfather of ma's cousin the singer Frankie Miller .Those of a certain vintage may well remember frankie Miller, for songs like Darling and my favourite Caledonia (used in the old tenants beer adverts and still played at the Scotland rugby home games at murrayfield) I remember ma telling me that her dad (my granda) said he lied about being catholic just to play the game he loved, he played 3 times for Scotland leagues XI v England leagues XI and Played at the same time as another member of this forums relations "willie kivlichen " I think was his name. Sorry I cant remember the other forum member. I've researched him some and the rangers like to hold this up as 'see we were never bigoted nor sectarian ' of course with the revelation of (need help to remember who it was that came out of the old club and said it definitely was a policy of that club as that club was created for protestants and signing catholics would've gone against their culture" anyone know who that was ? Anyway it brings joy to my heart that we can pay and be respectful whilst the second incarnation of that club simply cant. 100% total respect for this site, its members, our club. This is another example of what it means to be Celtic HH ☘💚

Last edited:
I was thinking about Billy McNeil, one of the best Defenders in world football at a time when Football was a really fanatical Scottish game.

It got me thinking about the few Scotland caps for some of the biggest winners Scotland ever produced.

I had never heard of Bobbly Brown till today. Very sad news indeed. I wasn't even looking for a story on him, probably wouldn't have registered had I not heard the name as obituary.

Not sure if its the same guy who was Scotland manager in 1967 but I get the impression he is the same man.

Well isn't it just a bit weird that with Scottish title just won and Celtic due to play biggest game in UK football history that the players at Celtic who should have got at least double the caps they got all got selected to play USSR for Scotland in a game that they possibly might not have been too bothered if they hadn't been selected at that particular time, with such big matches against Rangers and Inter Milan very close to the match against Soviet Union.

Sad that this country treated its best football talent so poorly if they played for Celtic.

Billy McNeil was one of the best defenders to play the game ever. Had presence and Aura and was one of the best at winning crunch games, yet so few caps.

I bet if he had been English he may well have had more caps for his country.

Last edited:
I was thinking about Billy McNeil, one of the best Defenders in world football at a time when Football was a really fanatical Scottish game.

It got me thinking about the few Scotland caps for some of the biggest winners Scotland ever produced.

I had never heard of Bobbly Brown till today. Very sad news indeed. I wasn't even looking for a story on him, probably wouldn't have registered had I not heard the name as obituary.

Not sure if its the same guy who was Scotland manager in 1967 but I get the impression he is the same man.

Well isn't it just a bit weird that with Scottish title in balance and Celtic due to play biggest game in UK football history that the players at Celtic who should have got at least double the caps they got all got selected to play USSR for Scotland in a game that they possibly might not have been too bothered if they hadn't been selected at that particular time, with such big matches due against Rangers and Inter Milan very close to the match against Soviet Union.

Sad that this country treated its best football talent so poorly if they played for Celtic.

Billy McNeil was one of the best defenders to play the game ever. Had presence and Aura and was one of the best at winning crunch games, yet so few caps.

I bet if he had been English he may well have had more caps for his country.

Aye about as many as Bobby Moore I'd say

Sad that this country treated its best football talent so poorly if they played for Celtic
Never a more truthful statement than that TET. The SFA have run the game into the ground in this country and if it wasnt for Celtic and our exploits on our own we'd have a league with the same quality of football as Wales. Thankfully for all clubs in Scotland despite the (for many years now as you said) SFAs best efforts to choose Celtic players for round the globe/ across the disc 🤪 to places like Mexico and Chile etc for meaningless thumpings and long distance humiliation. Celtic have kept punching hard above our weight regardless. Our European monies have helped keep clubs afloat like the Mortons and dunfermlines of our leagues hearts as well all very close at times to going bust. While the SFA continue to charge their member clubs cash (used to be something like a grand , may be wrong but money clubs cant afford) if they wanted to "appeal" decisions etc , knowing fine well most clubs cannot simply fork out a thousand pounds or hundreds of pounds in the vain hope the SFA might uphold their appeal. So the smaller clubs don't appeal anything too expensive to question the SFA. A small club could go to the wall just challenging refs decisions. Lenny was spot on of how our club aren't appreciated, we help clubs to survive and pay their staffs wages and we are hounded by the media eejits (whose wages would not be the same either if there was no strong Celtic to report on . No we are pilloried for being successful and the oldco now newco heralded for getting through the group stage once (not the big cup groups of course) they could easily have taken other clubs already in financial peril down with them when they tried and did cheat , bribe and bully their way to the phoney 9. That's ok of course in the SFAs book. Probably not in Gretnas though. A footballing country , co-founder of the game, a once powerhouse of a national side with clubs capable of beating the very best and conveyor belt of talented youngsters have been let down badly by the SFA and I dont believe theres a place for them in the modern game. 1 governing body should oversee Scottish football made up of bright intelligent young individuals and out with the ancient cronies who look after themselves, they were never moving from hampden, and werent kidding anyone when it was mooted as it would have been a quicker death to them. Celtic, Aberdeen and some others may have survived the extinction of glasgow rangers but many smaller clubs ? The sfa and rangers complicit in almost destroying the leagues and rangers are rewarded a 2nd chance. Theyve held the game back for too long, reconstruction was a shambles with often 8th place finishing with more pts than 6th.failure to export our game bar one deal with bein sports and skys scraps
Grr I'd best stop or I wont stop. Lastly though we are the champions of everything Scottish and have won every tournament ever entered bar the world club cup , cheated again. As the great Billy McNeil once said we are underdogs in our own city. Still we will outlive the SFA HH

"Origins
Prior to the First World War, Rangers did not have any policy regarding players' religion, and at that time the club did have a number of Catholic players.[2] In the 1920s, following the rise in popularity of the Orange Order in Glasgow where Rangers players and directors attended functions,[3] Rangers quietly introduced an unwritten rule that the club would not sign any player or employ any staff member who was openly Catholic.[4][5] An indication that the policy was specifically anti-Catholic rather than Protestant-only was Rangers' signing of Egyptian international Mohamed Latif in 1934.[6]
The policy was not acknowledged publicly until 1965 when Ralph Brand, on leaving the club for Manchester City, told the News of the World that Rangers operated a Protestants-only policy.[7] Two years later vice-chairman Matt Taylor was asked about perceived anti-Catholicism with the ban on Catholics at Rangers; he stated "[it is] part of our tradition ... we were formed in 1873 as a Protestant boys club. To change now would lose us considerable support".[8] Northern Irish club Linfield, which shares a similar culture to Rangers, had a similar policy, though not as strict as Rangers', until the 1980s, as a contrast to their Big Two rivals Glentoran.[9]
Despite the policy, some Catholic players did play for Rangers during this time. Don Kitchenbrand kept his Catholicism secret and Laurie Blyth left the club after his Catholic faith was discovered.[10] Some former Rangers players also stated that the policy extended to non-Catholic players who married Catholics. In 1980, for example, Graham Fyfe said that he had to leave Rangers because he had married a Catholic woman.[11] The former Rangers player and Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson has written that although Rangers' management knew of his decision to marry a Catholic, he experienced "poisonous hostility" from the club's PR officer Willie Allison.[12]"

Members online

Latest posts

Back