Brexit Deal Done? NI Stays In Custom's Union!

Loads and loads of people I know have both British and Irish passports, TET. I don't believe it's technically allowed but many still use both.

If you can apply for Irish citizenship just do it.

Nothing can really prevent emigration if you go through the correct process and are accepted - to the best of my knowledge.

Dont think I would qualify for passport. My great grandparents on both sides all born scotland. But likely both sides are here from irish holocaust 150 years ago at some point probably one generation before my great grandparents. And i don't think that qualifies me as irish even though my Scottish legitimacy is questioned by the famine song wallopers.

I can't go home since technically Im not Irish but my blood aint Scottish.

Hahahahaha

I am scottish. Id rather be irish. But I don't really know any family in ireland despite all my family in Scotland having irish blood.

I have a pal who has irish parents born in ireland donegal. He moved to dublin. He always had irish passport has glaswegian voice but see himself as irish.

He would end up in fights every other day in dublin when irish people would call him a brit. Even when they knew his parents were irish. the fact he had a glaswegian voice made him a brit. One day on works night out, someone kept calling him wee Jock the brit. He said you call me that once more ill smash your teeth in.

He said oh shut at ya brit. And my mate cracked him so hard he knocked out his 4 upper front teeth.
He got sacked from his job and sued for 20 grand expenses as dental repairs and nearly got a sentence.

Now persoanlly i wouldn't mind being called a brit in south but it would offend me that I would be treated like a half cast by both my actual, nation and my heart nation.

lived in the south for 13 years TET never had any bother, if anything I was treated like family,and to me it was just like a big friendly, welcoming family, btw the dubs have a big city wha's like us mentality,people who live outside Dublin are called "culchies" and dubs are called "jackeens",tribalism... who'da thunk it!!! HH

Dont think I would qualify for passport. My great grandparents on both sides all born scotland. But likely both sides are here from irish holocaust 150 years ago at some point probably one generation before my great grandparents. And i don't think that qualifies me as irish even though my Scottish legitimacy is questioned by the famine song wallopers.

Hahahahaha

I am scottish. Id rather be irish. But I don't really know any family in ireland despite all my family in Scotland having irish blood.

I have a pal who has irish parents born in ireland donegal. He moved to dublin. He always had irish passport has glaswegian voice but see himself as irish.

He would end up in fights every other day in dublin when irish people would call him a brit. Even when they knew his parents were irish. the fact he had a glaswegian voice made him a brit. One day on works night out, someone kept calling him wee Jock the brit. He said you call me that once more ill smash your teeth in.

He said oh shut at ya brit. And my mate cracked him so hard he knocked out his 4 upper front teeth.
He got sacked from his job and sued for 20 grand expenses as dental repairs and nearly got a sentence.

Now persoanlly i wouldn't mind being called a brit in south but it would offend me that I would be treated like a half cast by both my actual, nation and my heart nation.

That's the Dubs for ya, mate!

Every time they make it to the All-Ireland it's 31 counties v them! ?

Am i allowed to resign citizenship of UK and move to ireland currently. Will Brexit prevent emmigration?

Probably not to Ireland from someone with british citizenship at least in the short term, as there is the Common Travel Area in place.
Created not long after the 1921 treaty, cynically quickly placed into free state law, with the naive aim and hope that the Irish might reconsider and formally join back in with the 24/7 full on idolatry of the crown and grandchildren and future offspring of big time German Hanoverian and Saxony Gotha Von Wettin organised crime families.
The hope was the Irish would somehow be hoodwinked back in, at least nominally so as that would of course legitimize more their claim of Irish symbolism integral in their crowns and flags and regalia and for a long time even printed on their coinage, just as its Dutch syndicates and before them French predecessor crime families also claimed Ireland alongside the Kingdom of France as well as all Britain.
MAG BR FR ET HIB REX ET REGINA

Apparently George Von Wettin (Windsor by 1921) was most unhappy of the division of Ireland! Historians on tv unable to see clouds in the sky remark this as if he had some personal emotional attachment of Irish unity. Of course George was upset, not because he or they cared about the Irish people, but he knew his claim to the land and river beds and all symbolism of Ireland was no longer really real anymore, no more valid than your or any other claim.
The agreement remains as a quirk, one that ironically worked for many Irish people for decades, especially from the 1930's to 1950's where a million and more Irish people had little choice but to emigrate from a impoverished nation, impoverished in no small way thanks directly to George's government's theft of Irish gold assets and imposed debts and tarrifs on the upstart Irish and most of all to the greedy ancestors of George and other pan European crime families who also once claimed to own it all by force but known to some as royals!

Perhaps not just coincidental, but what was known as the Anglo-Irish Trade War served to impoverish the emerging Irish nation for the first decades and the Anglo Irish bank one that ordinary people of Ireland had no dealings with near ruined the entire otherwise successful economy in 2008, the Irish people paying for debts the vast majority never knew existed let alone personally took out!

Anyway that quirk is currently in place since the treaty, but unlike citizenship that does not provide for specific rights. My guess is if it all goes bad for the 'uk' and their 65 million, and Ireland becomes even noticeably imposed upon, then the Irish would soon be looking to change the rules as they did with automatic Irish citizenship rights by virtue of birth alone, rights which many considered were being abused and were stopped by 80% plus vote in referendum 2004.

Irish Citizenship Rules

I expect there are people on here who have moved to Ireland recently enough from Scotland, you should ask how they are getting on if seriously considering.
Right now and for last number of years Ireland is generally booming, the main concern I would suggest is accommodation, rent for example anywhere is obscenely high and a national scandal, (James Connolly was sure prophetic on aspects of his forecast) but if you can work around that, then Ireland is a credible possibility for anyone seriously considering, and imo especially so for anyone with ancestral links and looking.

Last edited:
Dont think I would qualify for passport. My great grandparents on both sides all born scotland. But likely both sides are here from irish holocaust 150 years ago at some point probably one generation before my great grandparents. And i don't think that qualifies me as irish even though my Scottish legitimacy is questioned by the famine song wallopers..

I personally think because of our history, that anyone who can show a link to an Irish person who emigrated from Ireland but was on any census of the nineteenth century, should be allowed to apply and qualify after living here for a while, actually think its wrong and a bit of a disgrace we don't do that to acknowledge properly the victims of the past.

But then again we should by now have a system that helped out as a priority the people of Ireland in need and not banks global share holders! If we had that then we would also no doubt have helped the people of Montserrat in their desperate times recently, and given something more tangible than a certificate of heritage to the descendants of Irish victims but claimed as criminal convicts of the empire, all who were forcibly removed from Ireland to populate and work the newly acquired assets taken by force by cannon fodder all on behalf of and supposed glory of what ever pan European organized crime family was based in London at the time
The very people that Irish diaspora who the likes of our business and political leaders and el Presidente will boast proud links to, sadly it seems only when that shallow moment suits their political or business advantage.

Last edited:
Loads and loads of people I know have both British and Irish passports, TET. I don't believe it's technically allowed but many still use both.

If you can apply for Irish citizenship just do it.

Nothing can really prevent emigration if you go through the correct process and are accepted - to the best of my knowledge.

The process is relatively simple. If you have at least one parent who was born on the island of Ireland (including Northern Ireland) you are de facto, an Irish citizen and can apply for an Irish passport. Your children can also apply for an Irish passport but unlike you, they are not de facto Irish citizens. Your children however, can apply to the Irish government to have their birth in Scotland registered in Ireland through the foreign birth registration process. They need to supply a significant amount of documentary evidence. Once the birth is registered in Ireland, your child then has an Irish birth certificate, becomes an Irish citizen and can apply for a passport. I think however, that is as far back in the generations that it goes. As I understand it, if your child applies for Irish citizenship as above, any child born to him or her (ie your grandchildren) after citizenship is granted can apply for a passport but not any children you already have when you apply. Hope that makes sense. Happy to elaborate as my wife, whose father was born in Belfast, has gone through the process as have my children.

By the way, I'm the only person in my family without an Irish passport. I don't qualify as both I, my parents and both sets of grandparents were born in Scotland.

Last edited:
Reactions: TET
To summarise the above:
One parent born on island of Ireland - no need for foreign birth registration. Entitled to passport.
Your children born in Scotland - apply for foreign birth registration, granted, apply for passport - entitled.
Your grandchildren - if born after its father/mother registered birth in Ireland - can apply for Irish passport - entitled.
Your grandchildren - if born before its father /mother registered birth in Ireland - ineligible for passport.

If the Irish government offered 'Golden Passports' to those with Irish ancestry, even at a cost of €2,000 a pop they would generate a wad of cash. I am looking to get a Czech passport (I have been married to a Czech national for 25 years) but if there was an option to have an Irish passport I would be all over it!

Don't want to put off anyone who considers themselves as Irish applying, but unfortunately some of the points are not correct.

Just go through what applies to you,
https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/
https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/

The links are to the official Irish government site and steps through the rules for anyone interested.
If born abroad the applicant for a passport will not receive an actual Irish birth certificate after registering a foreign birth, that is the certificate of citizenship entitlement needed for a passport application and is given after the process on checks for a register of foreign births.
There is no longer an automatic right to citizenship even if born in Ireland, you still have to meet critieria! 2004 referendum here stopped that automatic right, as people from around the world were riding the system.

I know a cousin of mine just applied for a passport, they were born in France to Irish born parents (both born in Ireland) and moved back to Ireland as a child and was educated here, but they still effectively needed to supply and go through similar process as to register a foreign birth first.
Their parents are old now and never had current passports so paperwork needed was effectively the same as this, except the longer wait for the Foreign birth cert.
https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citize...road/born-abroad-citizenship-by-descent-faqs/
Be prepared to be patient as the process will likely take quite a while now because an unfortunate side effect of Brexit is our passport system is severely overloaded, even the anti Irish hating british loyalists are applying for them, (as someone said here money talks loudest for that kind) and those millions in Britain many of whom were formerly contently ignorant of any Irish connection and who never have any intention of living here or contributing anything positive to Ireland can apply and use the system.
anti Irish thugs in the edl or former bnp and nf are no doubt considering using the system so they can visit or stay in some british low culture infested part of Spain, so it is perverse that such low life forms might be approved and the likes of genuine Irish people and people who want to be Irish or live here and contribute are possibly excluded.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/

Last edited:
Question- Brexit related- for Bhoys in the Republic. Do you think there is now an increased awareness of the border and a resulting questioning and objection to its actual existence?

If the Irish government offered 'Golden Passports' to those with Irish ancestry, even at a cost of €2,000 a pop they would generate a wad of cash. I am looking to get a Czech passport (I have been married to a Czech national for 25 years) but if there was an option to have an Irish passport I would be all over it!

http://www.maltaimmigration.com/

The sort of scam that is allowed that supports those who are negative to the EU

Jim...don't crush my dream ?

Didn't mean to and would not.
In a rush this afternoon so may have worded it poorly, I type mad quick and usually have to edit half a dozen times just to make sense for myself afterwards.

Trust me, If there was a referendum, I would rush out to vote for the right for anyone who has any Irish ancestry and anyone who considers themselves Irish because of family links and especially those who intend living here, to become an Irish citizen and approved quickly.

I thought to myself earlier there were some other vague but possible avenues, and here you go there are. The Naturalization process is bit involved but possible if serious enough and can afford what ever they charge , no doubt expensive enough but not as bad as Malta.
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP16000022

Last edited:
Question- Brexit related- for Bhoys in the Republic. Do you think there is now an increased awareness of the border and a resulting questioning and objection to its actual existence?

Hard to know what the story is, Ireland is a lot of places really, not just the obvious rural to urban or even Irish to more multi cultural parts, big difference between Western parts of Donegal to town let alone Donegal to Dublin, which itself has places quite different.
The generational opinions alone would likely throw up different views, but generally I'd guess yes people will be more aware there is supposed be a border!
Doubt most here really consider it a border since this century at least, unless shopping for savings either side, even then it is only a temporary border not a real one.
I'd guess the typical mentality considers the North not much different to any other different part of Ireland they have not yet been to, and most would also know that the North itself is many places.

Brexit is a potential real concern for Ireland, not credibly because of any likely or immediately obvious Irish caused problems, the problems are going by history far more likely to be caused
by and to come from the uk side, there the potential for concern are of various forms.
Ireland Governments in general despite any front do not overly trust the word of british crown governments, fairly regular govt comments regardless of party and historical official released papers highlight this mistrust.
We can only hope they are getting wiser and more alert to the dangers.
They should be concerned as based on recent and past history of interference by parts of the crown government and what their political and economic interests might get up to, not just the standard double dealing, standards much of the world has come to expect and work around.

Britain does not exactly have a great track record of playing fair especially when ever their big business and economic interests were under any pressure.

Last edited:
Don't want to put off anyone who considers themselves as Irish applying, but unfortunately some of the points are not correct.

Just go through what applies to you,
https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/
https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/

The links are to the official Irish government site and steps through the rules for anyone interested.
If born abroad the applicant for a passport will not receive an actual Irish birth certificate after registering a foreign birth, that is the certificate of citizenship entitlement needed for a passport application and is given after the process on checks for a register of foreign births.
There is no longer an automatic right to citizenship even if born in Ireland, you still have to meet critieria! 2004 referendum here stopped that automatic right, as people from around the world were riding the system.

I know a cousin of mine just applied for a passport, they were born in France to Irish born parents (both born in Ireland) and moved back to Ireland as a child and was educated here, but they still effectively needed to supply and go through similar process as to register a foreign birth first.
Their parents are old now and never had current passports so paperwork needed was effectively the same as this, except the longer wait for the Foreign birth cert.
https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citize...road/born-abroad-citizenship-by-descent-faqs/
Be prepared to be patient as the process will likely take quite a while now because an unfortunate side effect of Brexit is our passport system is severely overloaded, even the anti Irish hating british loyalists are applying for them, (as someone said here money talks loudest for that kind) and those millions in Britain many of whom were formerly contently ignorant of any Irish connection and who never have any intention of living here or contributing anything positive to Ireland can apply and use the system.
anti Irish thugs in the edl or former bnp and nf are no doubt considering using the system so they can visit or stay in some british low culture infested part of Spain, so it is perverse that such low life forms might be approved and the likes of genuine Irish people and people who want to be Irish or live here and contribute are possibly excluded.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/
Jim,

Clearly, I bow to your greater knowledge on this however, my wife who has a great number of family members living in Ireland whom she visits regularly, within the last 12 months applied for an Irish passport. She had merely to supply a copy of her deceased father's birth certificate along with her own birth certificate and a copy of her parents marriage certificate. We queried whether the fact she was born in Scotland to a Scottish mother and Irish father meant she had to register as a foreign birth in Ireland to obtain her passport. We were told that it was not required because as her father had been born in Ireland she was, de facto, an Irish citizen. She completed the necessary passport application in the same way that you would a UK passport and submitted the application and supporting documents. A few weeks later the passport was issued without any difficulty.

Only a few weeks ago, my youngest son, an Aer Lingus pilot based in Dublin who may well be affected job-wise by Brexit, registered a foreign birth on the basis of his grandfather having been born in Ireland and on receipt of the foreign birth registration document applied for his Irish passport which was granted without any difficulty whatsoever. Again, he had no problems with either the foreign births registration process or the passport application process. In neither case did he nor indeed my wife experience any undue delay in the issue of the documents.

Below is a cut and paste from the website you quote above which I think endorses what I have written above:

"Born outside Ireland?
You are automatically an Irish citizen if one of your parents was an Irish citizen and was born in Ireland. You don’t need to apply to become an Irish citizen in this case.
You can become an Irish citizen if:
  1. One of your grandparents was born in Ireland, or;
  2. One of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, even though they were not born in Ireland.
In these cases, you can become an Irish citizen through Foreign Birth Registration."

The link is here:
https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/

I can't understand the difficulty your cousin had in obtaining a passport but I am sure what you say is absolutely correct. However, I can only go by my own personal experience of the process which, as I have explained was extremely straightforward.

Last edited:
I can't understand the difficulty your cousin had in obtaining a passport but I am sure what you say is absolutely correct. However, I can only go by my own personal experience of the process which, as I have explained was extremely straightforward.

I did not really mean to correct anymore than the part about being provided with an Irish birth certificate, as no one could legally get that not actually born here.
Genuinely delighted when the GFA made official Ireland's claim to all born on the Island Ireland and their children and children's children, I think the DUP and fellow dodgy milkman uniformed
extremists missed that subtlety as they grasped for the removal of Dev's claim which was sadly proven aspirational and pointless in reality anyway.
I want anyone with Irish connections and a genuine pride in that to get what ever they want equal as fellow citizens, so delighted your family was sorted and efficiently

The real point of posting was to encourage anyone Irish and not to be put off if it does not prove straightforward, so I provided the official links which go through the official steps.

As for delays on the process! Not sure but so as to help others possibly be patient then-, probably delayed and had more fuss because they like a lot of the older Irish, never had current passports. I assume they once had them, but never clarified that, possibly thinking about it now that that they never did have actual passports. Because they may have had card type visas for France, they were there I think on and off for 5 years, but back home in between.
I only know for certain that a lot of Irish who left in the 1930's onwards and went to parts of Britain often only went with the intention of short term, but ended up staying and never went anywhere else in their lives but back and fro to Ireland and until fair recent times you never needed a passport even on a plane between the two Islands.
So older people like that, they'd still need to prove Irish citizenship in those cases and I would imagine there would be many of them if people are using Grandparents.

Likely as not just had an unhelpful person dealing with them, here like anywhere else much, being helped can sometimes unfortunately depend who you speak to on the day. I have had different answers from state bodies on the very same day after calling back and speaking to someone else on exact same question, that gives you an idea.
To be positive Ireland is better than most, usually found it worse or more blunt/rude unhelpful abroad than Ireland, parts of England are the worst in my experience, having all too many especially unhelpful/ignorant shop staff, never took it as personal just seem to have a fairer share of people either unmotivated and appear content to clockwatch by self defeating methods,
spending more time actively not trying to help people than doing the simpler task of helping.

But Ireland is not a land of a thousand welcomes for everyone every day, we are generally losing charm and personal touch in recent years, here now how well you're helped either on the phone or even in person, often depends how they woke up that morning, or being misdirected by newly employed or the long experienced stubborn and ignorant. In more recent times a understandable amount of confusion by people who newish to Ireland themselves and may speak English but do not understand the many differences between the Irish use of that hybrid language. Many will not for a while hope to understand the many different Irish use of words, that is another factor. To be fair to them they would not have experienced a nation where words are so important and can be used in so many ways. I barely understand some County accents myself.
Nothing is necessarily straightforward here, neither a no or a yes, so it never surprised me their hassle.
So don't be put off, there often are possible ways around things here.

Yes you can, there are ways through naturalization for someone with an affinity. Bearing in mind we have had the likes of john bruton and sir bob Geldof in prior positions of mass influence, I'd be curious as to the guidelines as what is an acceptable form of and definition of affinity
And thinking again, if any of your Grandparents with Irish links are alive, could they register? if so then you would possibly have a cheaper shorter route via them than

People are making a living out of this brexit game In Ireland and uk no doubt, solicitors or more likely their secretaries doing the work often with even less knowledge without checking themselves and care, so that's me done on this subject.

Want to help Irish people, but not even by default the many scammers around the world and especially not any sevco or edl or bnp or dodgy milkman with a flute hypocrite!

Last edited:
I did not really mean to correct anymore than the part about being provided with an Irish birth certificate, as no one could legally get that not actually born here.
Genuinely delighted when the GFA made official Ireland's claim to all born on the Island Ireland and their children and children's children, I think the DUP and fellow dodgy milkman uniformed
extremists missed that subtlety as they grasped for the removal of Dev's claim which was sadly proven aspirational and pointless in reality anyway.
I want anyone with Irish connections and a genuine pride in that to get what ever they want equal as fellow citizens, so delighted your family was sorted and efficiently

The real point of posting was to encourage anyone Irish and not to be put off if it does not prove straightforward, so I provided the official links which go through the official steps.

As for delays on the process! Not sure but so as to help others possibly be patient then-, probably delayed and had more fuss because they like a lot of the older Irish, never had current passports. I assume they once had them, but never clarified that, possibly thinking about it now that that they never did have actual passports. Because they may have had card type visas for France, they were there I think on and off for 5 years, but back home in between.
I only know for certain that a lot of Irish who left in the 1930's onwards and went to parts of Britain often only went with the intention of short term, but ended up staying and never went anywhere else in their lives but back and fro to Ireland and until fair recent times you never needed a passport even on a plane between the two Islands.
So older people like that, they'd still need to prove Irish citizenship in those cases and I would imagine there would be many of them if people are using Grandparents.

Likely as not just had an unhelpful person dealing with them, here like anywhere else much, being helped can sometimes unfortunately depend who you speak to on the day. I have had different answers from state bodies on the very same day after calling back and speaking to someone else on exact same question, that gives you an idea.
To be positive Ireland is better than most, usually found it worse or more blunt/rude unhelpful abroad than Ireland, parts of England are the worst in my experience, having all too many especially unhelpful/ignorant shop staff, never took it as personal just seem to have a fairer share of people either unmotivated and appear content to clockwatch by self defeating methods,
spending more time actively not trying to help people than doing the simpler task of helping.

But Ireland is not a land of a thousand welcomes for everyone every day, we are generally losing charm and personal touch in recent years, here now how well you're helped either on the phone or even in person, often depends how they woke up that morning, or being misdirected by newly employed or the long experienced stubborn and ignorant. In more recent times a understandable amount of confusion by people who newish to Ireland themselves and may speak English but do not understand the many differences between the Irish use of that hybrid language. Many will not for a while hope to understand the many different Irish use of words, that is another factor. To be fair to them they would not have experienced a nation where words are so important and can be used in so many ways. I barely understand some County accents myself.
Nothing is necessarily straightforward here, neither a no or a yes, so it never surprised me their hassle.
So don't be put off, there often are possible ways around things here.

Yes you can, there are ways through naturalization for someone with an affinity. Bearing in mind we have had the likes of john bruton and sir bob Geldof in prior positions of mass influence, I'd be curious as to the guidelines as what is an acceptable form of and definition of affinity
And thinking again, if any of your Grandparents with Irish links are alive, could they register? if so then you would possibly have a cheaper shorter route via them than

People are making a living out of this brexit game In Ireland and uk no doubt, solicitors or more likely their secretaries doing the work often with even less knowledge without checking themselves and care, so that's me done on this subject.

Want to help Irish people, but not even by default the many scammers around the world and especially not any sevco or edl or bnp or dodgy milkman with a flute hypocrite!

Jim,

As someone, now retired, who spends sometimes months at a time in the Republic of Ireland visiting the wife's family and my son in Dublin, I can say without fear of contradiction, that it is the most friendly country I have ever been in - and I've done a lot of travelling over the years. Most of my time is spent between Dublin and Kerry. Even in the 'big city', I find the people I meet invariably courteous, friendly and welcoming. In Kerry, it's to a whole different level. For instance, a few months ago, I was in a supermarket in Cahersiveen when I met an old guy - a total stranger - who asked me if I was enjoying my shopping! He didn't know me from Adam, didn't get a chance to hear my Scottish accent - just an all round kind old gentleman. That sums up and has been my experience of the Irish. I can't wait to go back later this year.

No doubt living there all the time, it's a fact of life you'll get someone on an off day but in general, I love the country and its people.

Members online

Latest posts

Back