Buy a pint for . . .

lcafiero

I am sitting in a cafe waiting to meet with some engineers to talk about documentation (such is my life -- afternoon meetings in nearby labs) when I started thinking about who at Celtic, present and past, I wouldn't mind walking through the door right now and allowing me to buy them a coffee and a bagel (or whatever).

But more common, how about making this cafe a pub and buying the player a pint?

So, to add a slight twist to this exercise, let's go with three different categories:

- Present Celts

- Past Celts

- Lisbon Lions

Me? Here are the beneficiaries of my largesse . . . .

Current Celtic Player: Ryan Christie. Jeremie Frimpong is not old enough to drink, but the guy who doesn't stop for 90 minutes deserves a pint. At least.

Past Celtic Player: Henrik Larsson or James McGrory (toss-up). It's not often you get to buy a pint for a king, and Jimmy deserves one because McGrory of Celtic DOES sound better than McGrory of Arsenal.

Lisbon Lion: Bertie Auld. I'd love to talk to Big Jock about how he did it, but I bet Bertie has the best stories from '67.

And your picks? Who would you buy pints for, past and present?

Last edited:
I am sitting in a cafe waiting to meet with some engineers to talk about documentation (such is my life -- afternoon meetings in nearby labs) when I started thinking about who at Celtic, present and past, I wouldn't mind walking through the door right now and allowing me to buy them a coffee and a bagel (or whatever).

So, to add a slight twist to this exercise, let's go with three different categories:

- Present Celts

- Past Celts

- Lisbon Lions

Current Celtic Player: Ryan Christie. Jeremie Frimpong is not old enough to drink, but the guy who doesn't stop for 90 minutes deserves a pint. At least.

Past Celtic Player: Henrik Larsson or James McGrory (toss-up). It's not often you get to buy a pint for a king, and Jimmy deserves one because McGrory of Celtic DOES sound better than McGrory of Arsenal.

Lisbon Lion: Bertie Auld. I'd love to talk to Big Jock about how he did it, but I bet Bertie has the best stories from '67.

And your picks?
Larry, I hate to disagree with you, but in Scotland, wee Jeremie would have been old enough to drink 14 year ago.

- Present Celts

- Past Celts

- Lisbon Lions

And your picks?
KT, just to ask him, "why the phuq, arsenal"!!!!!!!! but Berties a great shout Larry! 🍺

The Lions - Bertie without a doubt, as long as I've got a fiver in my pocket Bertie can get a pint. But I'd loved to have spent half an hour with Jinky.

Past - probably Tommy Burns and being Tommy he'd probably offer to buy the drinks, love the man.

Present - Probably The Griff, I would imagine a night in the cells would follow!

Bet Broonie would be a blast to sit down and talk to. John Clark I understand is pretty cerebral, so that would be one intelligent convo.
Quiet, unassuming and been around Celtic Park for generations, Larry. Also caretaker manager on a couple of occasions and didn't have a bad record.

Guys like that are the guys who notice all the wee details......proper readers and scholars of the game.

Bet Broonie would be a blast to sit down and talk to. John Clark I understand is pretty cerebral, so that would be one intelligent convo.
Here's a good one for you about the type of person John Clark is
I met John at Celtic Park when I was back in 2001, he comes walking through the door with a bag full of Celtic strips
We shake hands and he says "Come with me"
We go into the trophy room and I ask if could get a photo
"Aye sure"
I stand with my hands behind my back, beside him
He says "Come on, get over here" and puts his arm round my shoulder
I still have that photo of a memorable day
Two weeks later, my cousin (a girl) and I walk into the Frontier hotel bar Mickey Gilley's (the hotel was imploded a few years later but that's nothing to do with me, or Celtic fans, taking over Vegas)
As we walk in, someone I knew calls me over
I'd like you to meet..."John stops him with "Hey, I met you at Celtic Park a couple of weeks ago"
I said "That's right, how are you John"
My cousin is there so I say "This is John Clark, one of the Lisbon Lions"
He says "Hello " and shakes her hand
My cousin(not into football, but along for the trip) says "What do you do for Celtic ?"
John, winks at me "I do the laundry hen, I wash all the strips"
I told her later, about who he was and what he had been a part of, she laughed and said "Oh WOW, What a great man he is"
Memorable trip
HH

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Back