Buying Scottish Players.

Johnnybhoy

I have read so often in the past that any players we sign playing in Scotland would be much better playing with better players. I'm not so sure about that, take the boy Turnbull who we are trying to sign from Motherwell, he has scored 16 goals playing from midfield.
Now just suppose he signs for us, will he be expected to equal or even better that? Playing in a Motherwell team, he was not likely to be up against teams who always play with 11 players behind the ball all the time.
What will he be like playing for us in these circumstances?
The same will apply with Lewis Morgan if he makes the first team squad.

I have read so often in the past that any players we sign playing in Scotland would be much better playing with better players. I'm not so sure about that, take the boy Turnbull who we are trying to sign from Motherwell, he has scored 16 goals playing from midfield.
Now just suppose he signs for us, will he be expected to equal or even better that? Playing in a Motherwell team, he was not likely to be up against teams who always play with 11 players behind the ball all the time.

That is a very good point Johny.

I think that the playing with better players argument is a valid one; however- I happen to agree that it is a very different type of game when you have to break down a 10-man rearguard.

Celtic have always had a tradition of signing players from provincial clubs, but the modern evaluation of these players often means it is more cost-effective to shop abroad.

Turnbull has had a terrific start to his professional career, but we would still be buying potential and not the finished article. Because the stakes are so high, we need to be in the market for players who can hit the ground running and be first-team ready come the CL qualifiers and the league campaign beginning.

And let's face it, at the prices being quoted - it's not just a punt, it's a pretty big risk to spend decent money which may have little or no return.

On the other hand, we've thrown plenty of good money after bad on foreign players so I guess the answer is, that there is no easy answer.

From a personal point of view, I would prefer that we nurtured and developed Scottish talent, but the needs of the team override my personal preferences and I would always go with a good established player than a potentially good player.

Not sure our club economics allows us to buy European ready first team players. If we buy Spl ready players then develop them that's probably as much as we can expect.
Right now if Turnbull, McKenna and McGinn were additions in our squad I would be very happy. Clearly mcginn has gone and I fear McKenna is way overpriced. At 2.25 plus add ons to 3 Turnbull is worth the punt imo.
HH

Hahahahahaha I remember him getting sent off about a minute after coming on as a sub.

Pretty sure it was against the jambos, but he was feckin rank rotten, Bertie.
That goal and his transfer to Chelsea for Tom Boyd was the only good to come out of him and the irony people are complaining about us doing the triple treble and the negativity in our own supporters what we're they like then I shudder to think.

That goal and his transfer to Chelsea for Tom Boyd was the only good to come out of him and the irony people are complaining about us doing the triple treble and the negativity in our own supporters what we're they like then I shudder to think.
The worse thing is, is that we started a couple of those seasons pretty well and you get to thinking that the Bhoys were back.

Come October, we were usually wondering if we were gonna be in a relegation battle.

Back