Cameron Harper

More rumours and if he thinks he is ready for first team action then he is wide of the mark, squandered the chance to cut the ball back to an opponent in an easier position and hits side net, cramps up. The bhoy is a talent and Celtic will be a good fit for him but he will be ready when Celtic say so.
Read the article the boys contract is on the table and he is weighing up his options nothing new there, so to date it's a waiting game and the media are guessing clubs that would suit in the USA, my money would be on him wanting if its a move to stay in the UK game.

Too much criticism this week for a kid who has played so little football, is called in and like Mikey has to play in a thrown together team, out of position alongside a player in MJ who is only just back from a long term injury. I was more annoyed at some of the experienced ones failing to shine against Hibs rather than Harper.
That said MLS may be a glitzy league but if he believes in himself he should sign the new deal, win trophies, play European football and with a new manager likely actually get the pathway he craves. MLS he can go to when he's 33.

More rumours and if he thinks he is ready for first team action then he is wide of the mark, squandered the chance to cut the ball back to an opponent in an easier position and hits side net, cramps up. The bhoy is a talent and Celtic will be a good fit for him but he will be ready when Celtic say so.
Read the article the boys contract is on the table and he is weighing up his options nothing new there, so to date it's a waiting game and the media are guessing clubs that would suit in the USA, my money would be on him wanting if its a move to stay in the UK game.
In fairness as regards the game v Hibs Boab, I would suggest that any of our first team squad who had only seven competitive games since August would have been blowing out of their arse BEFORE the 60 minute mark

Too much criticism this week for a kid who has played so little football, is called in and like Mikey has to play in a thrown together team, out of position alongside a player in MJ who is only just back from a long term injury. I was more annoyed at some of the experienced ones failing to shine against Hibs rather than Harper.
That said MLS may be a glitzy league but if he believes in himself he should sign the new deal, win trophies, play European football and with a new manager likely actually get the pathway he craves. MLS he can go to when he's 33.
A good reasoned post Niall which echoes my own thoughts. The young talent we are losing for buttons is a real concern

A good reasoned post Niall which echoes my own thoughts. The young talent we are losing for buttons is a real concern
Problem is the lack of development leagues below first team. They hardly play so how do they develop - wouldn’t blame him to a degree if he went. We need to get teams into League 2 or even Lowland or West of Scotland league and work their way up

Problem is the lack of development leagues below first team. They hardly play so how do they develop - wouldn’t blame him to a degree if he went. We need to get teams into League 2 or even Lowland or West of Scotland league and work their way up
Brentford shelved involvement and basically created a B team (almsost as a club under a club, seperate contracts but career pathways and all that). Managed for a few years now by ex Hearts player Neil McFarlane... I think he still is anyway. Kinda came about when Mark warburton was there. They basically play friendlies all over Britain and did in Europe (until recently) they've played Celtic a few times in fact. They also get invites to mini tournaments. Would take a fair bit of organising but we could certainly do that once this is all over.
Strangely though they don't scout young players. Local to them they have a lot of London clubs and were getting players poached. So they just hold regular trials for players released by Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal etc and the ones that meat their analytical standard get a B team contract, then its up to them.
Can't make my mind up on colt teams. constantly changing my mind on that one- bit like summer football :)

Just talking to my brother today Salop ( He's maybe marginally more of a madder Tim than me ) and I was telling him that its the LOWER LEAGUE CLUBS who are objecting ???. I would have thought that they would embrace the idea e,g. Albion Rovers playing most teams in their league average crowd maybe 200. Playing either of the Celtic or Rangers colts probably 3,000 four times a season would make some difference to lower league finances but they are not having it ??. I'm not sure of this but I think Celtic/Rangers would be prepared to accept no promotion so for example if they came first and second it would be the third placed team promoted which makes it even more mystifying

Brentford shelved involvement and basically created a B team (almsost as a club under a club, seperate contracts but career pathways and all that). Managed for a few years now by ex Hearts player Neil McFarlane... I think he still is anyway. Kinda came about when Mark warburton was there. They basically play friendlies all over Britain and did in Europe (until recently) they've played Celtic a few times in fact. They also get invites to mini tournaments. Would take a fair bit of organising but we could certainly do that once this is all over.
Strangely though they don't scout young players. Local to them they have a lot of London clubs and were getting players poached. So they just hold regular trials for players released by Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal etc and the ones that meat their analytical standard get a B team contract, then its up to them.
Can't make my mind up on colt teams. constantly changing my mind on that one- bit like summer football :)
Is there a possibility of teaming up with some of the large English teams to have a British wide competition for the colt teams? I'm sure BT or Amazon would happily sign a TV deal to show these matches on a Friday night. They can have a play-off at the season. A competition with Celtic, sevco, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal & Spurs would be a TV ratings winner and fans would like to see for a fiver a game.

I'm sure UEFA wouldn't have any complaints against this sort of cross border competition.

Just talking to my brother today Salop ( He's maybe marginally more of a madder Tim than me ) and I was telling him that its the LOWER LEAGUE CLUBS who are objecting ???. I would have thought that they would embrace the idea e,g. Albion Rovers playing most teams in their league average crowd maybe 200. Playing either of the Celtic or Rangers colts probably 3,000 four times a season would make some difference to lower league finances but they are not having it ??. I'm not sure of this but I think Celtic/Rangers would be prepared to accept no promotion so for example if they came first and second it would be the third placed team promoted which makes it even more mystifying
I think that is the case Ghostie and like you I don’t get it. I think having the colts teams in is a good idea. They would be playing meaningful senior football and probably “toughening the up a bit”. Thinking back to Monday and we’re having to bring these guys in, they may be coming in having played 40-50 SENIOR league games - ok at league 2 level or whatever but I still think that is more of a preparation than reserve/development leagues - all the teams at that level would be gunning for them - can see mentally whether they can hack that because they sure as hell need it when they get to the first team.

I think that is the case Ghostie and like you I don’t get it. I think having the colts teams in is a good idea. They would be playing meaningful senior football and probably “toughening the up a bit”. Thinking back to Monday and we’re having to bring these guys in, they may be coming in having played 40-50 SENIOR league games - ok at league 2 level or whatever but I still think that is more of a preparation than reserve/development leagues - all the teams at that level would be gunning for them - can see mentally whether they can hack that because they sure as hell need it when they get to the first team.
100%

Is there a possibility of teaming up with some of the large English teams to have a British wide competition for the colt teams? I'm sure BT or Amazon would happily sign a TV deal to show these matches on a Friday night. They can have a play-off at the season. A competition with Celtic, sevco, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal & Spurs would be a TV ratings winner and fans would like to see for a fiver a game.

I'm sure UEFA wouldn't have any complaints against this sort of cross border competition.
That sounds like a great idea. Coming up with ideas like that would obviously bar you from ever being considered for a job at the SFA or SPFL 😁

I think the lowland league clubs were against jumping the Q. As in getting straight into league 2. If we started at the bottom I guess they might be more open to it

The thing with this is we keep speaking about about the benefits from our perspective whereas we really need to be selling this about the real benefits to the teams that we'd be helping in the lower leagues. It is about winning the hearts and minds of fans & clubs in the lower leagues by positively selling it to them as the perfect win-win scenario.

Members online

Latest posts

Back