Can Celtic win Europa League?

Been yearning after the UEFA cup since Seville, would love to have that beautiful cup beside the European Cup
I didn't believe we had a chance back then against Blackburn, especially after the way we played at Parkhead but after that we really started motoring.

This team has a dynamic about it, not saying we gonna win the thing, but....

Whatever happens in the EL is a bonus as it’s just a sideshow. Sure great if we could win it.
But all I want this year is the 9.
Then for the biggie 10 iar.
I know we want to win everything that we enter. But for a certain scumclub 9 then 10
Would send the moonhowlingbastards bananas. Now that I’d pay to watch.
Mon the Hoops

HH 🍀
I think we CAN win it but NOT this season
If I had the choice of a Europa League and Scottish and League cups or 9IAR I'd prefer 9IAR because if we do 9 we'll do 10
If we do 9 Slippy won't be at SEVCO next season Why would they give him a 3rd chance if he couldn't stop us 1st or 2nd time?

Thursday will be a good barometer of where we try are this season and will truly display how good/bad we really are

HH🍀

I think we CAN win it but NOT this season
If I had the choice of a Europa League and Scottish and League cups or 9IAR I'd prefer 9IAR because if we do 9 we'll do 10
If we do 9 Slippy won't be at SEVCO next season Why would they give him a 3rd chance if he couldn't stop us 1st or 2nd time?

Thursday will be a good barometer of where we try are this season and will truly display how good/bad we really are

HH🍀
Yes Bc ,good points ,hh

Get through the group stages and bring Victor home in January. If the board shows ambition and commitment who knows what could be achieved. What would people have said in Sept '66 if Billy McNeil had said he thought they could win the European Cup. Different era, different financial playing field but a marquee midfielder could level the playing field significantly.

I don't think we'll win it but I definitely fancy us getting out this group at least.

Agree, which is why it's so annoying to see some supporters get their knickers in a knot over Europe. If we win, great. If not, we have business at home to attend to, like 9 and 10 in a row.

I think Jullien is just rallying the troops here.

Of course securing the 9 & 10 are the priority for this season and next but Europe is massive for Celtic and the fans for a multitude of reasons Larry.

The fans not only enjoy the prestige of taking part in European competition but they get a break from the monotony of Scottish football and get to see our bhoys test themselves against some of Europe's top players and clubs. They also get to travel to some beautiful countries and stadiums and by doing so we've shown what Celtic Football Club and it's fans are all about. This has led to lasting bonds between our club and others on the continent and lasting friendships with oppositions supporters and in turn it's made Celtic one of the most respected and loved clubs in world football.

Europe is also massive for the club not only in terms of the lucrative revenue streams generated by being involved in European competition but it raises the club's profile which attracts players to come and sign for us as well as attracting sponsors and other commercial partnerships which boost the clubs finances.

This club has a massive European pedigree, reputation and tradition and it's why we 'get our knickers in a knot over Europe'!

HH Larry (y)

I'm always optimistic when it comes to what Celtic can achieve every season. The League is the priority, & winning both domestic cups must be the focus, doing well in Europe each season boost the clubs profile, could we win it get tae the last 32 its game on 9 games from the Final. Of course we can but, not at at the expense of 9iar

I'm always optimistic when it comes to what Celtic can achieve every season. The League is the priority, & winning both domestic cups must be the focus, doing well in Europe each season boost the clubs profile, could we win it get tae the last 32 its game on 9 games from the Final. Of course we can but, not at at the expense of 9iar
TT bang on mate...but seriously fuck Europe 9iar / 10 ..hoopy wonder land! For this wee Hoop.😉😂😂

Ach, I'm sure winning the wee cup along with 9/10 iar would go down well with the huns, fester fester would be in a nuclear style melt down. 😂😂😂
Defo mate. But keep Europe for me, the sea would boil, the days would become night, and all the animals of the Earth would Nash....when the HOOPS do the 10: jock: 10 get it up it up ye ya filthy cheating bastards so says the word of the JOCK...amen. 😉😆😆

This, and we might get a run at the final. After tonight in Rennes, we're closer than we might have thought to being a force in the Europa.

We have to learn to be cuter in Eurooe
By cuter I mean NOT giving referees ANY chance of issuing yellow cards for silly reasons

I realise it's a contact sport but Bayo with 2 yellows in 5 minutes last night was crazy
The 1st one was marginal but understandable but the 2nd one was ridiculous He didn't really touch the keeper but he gave the referee a decision to make by challenging for the ball when the custodian was lying on the ground with the ball in his possession and the theatricals of the French players were both convincing and cute

We ARE a good and capable side and their penalty apart I think that Forster was rarely troubled all evening

I love Big Ajer to bits but he has to learn to stay on his feet when tackling in the penalty box
I know he's young and playing in defensive positions which are relatively new to him but his decisiin making needs to be better at times He's cost us penalties against Hertz and now Rennes for similar actions as well as getting himself red carded against St Johnstone for bringing a player down in a last ditch attempted tackle

Simulation by going to ground has become part of today's game but Edouard last night at least didn't cover himself in glory and probably made up the ref's mind not to award Christie a spot kick when he was grounded in the box just before Forrest won his pen

Rennes are a good and capable side Occupying 2nd spot in Ligue 1 they must be but they were there for the taking last night
A 1-1 draw away from home was a decent result but it could and probably should have been a lot more

HH🍀

Last edited:
We have to learn to be cuter in Eurooe
By cuter I mean NOT giving referees ANY chance of issuing yellow cards for silly reasons

I realise it's a contact sport but Bayo with 2 yellows in 5 minutes last night was crazy
The 1st one was marginal but understandable but the 2nd one was ridiculous He didn't really touch the keeper but he gave the referee a decision to make by challenging for the ball when the custodian was lying on the ground with the ball in his possession and the theatricals of the French players were both convincing and cute

We ARE a good and capable side and their penalty apart I think that Forster was rarely troubled all evenjng

I love Big Ajer to bits but he has to learn to stay on his feet when tackling in the penalty box
I know he's young and playing in defensive positions which are relatively new to him but his decisiin making needs to be better at times He's cost us penalties against Hertz and now Rennes for similar actions as well as getting himself red carded against St Johnstone for bringing a player down in a last ditch attempted tackle

Simulation by going to ground has become part of today's game but Edouard last night at least didn't cover himself in glory and probably made up the ref's mind not to award Christie a spot kick when he was grounded in the box just before Forrest won his pen

Rennes are a good and capable side Occupying 2nd spot in Ligue 1 they must be but they were there for the taking last night
A 1-1 draw away from home was a decent result but it could and probably should have been a lot more

HH🍀
While I agree that our players have to learn how to be "cuter" I also disagree wth some of your points. Last night was the worst persistent diving and theatrics by a team since Porto in Seville and the ref fell for it.

Also there were over a dozen simulations last night yet the only one that warranted a booking was the one by a Celtic player!

You complain that we gave the ref a decision to make but the only solution to this is for our players to deliberately pull out of every challenge otherwise the cheating drama queens will hurl themselves to the ground and flop about "in agony" like a fish out of water. We will get thrashed in every game if we don't try to tackle our opponents!

I think you are being too harsh on Bayo too. The way I saw it he didn't challenge a goalie lying on the ground with "the ball in his possession". The goalie fumbled the ball and Bayo had a serious chance of getting to it first to score a late winner. He ran at full speed and the goalie dived towards him and JUST got a hand on the ball first. Bayo did well as he didn't follow through as he just missed the ball and the keeper which the ref and all officials correctly called. The goalie then went for an Oscar and over 30 seconds later the ref pulled out a 2nd yellow. Why did the goalie not get a full check over for concussion if the ref thought he was knocked on the head??? I disagree that our strikers should not be safely challenging for a ball within the rules of the game when there is a decent chance of scoring a late winner.

Ajer was stupid last night though. Still think once our CBs are all fit he might be worth trying out as a long term replacement for Broony.
HH🍀

While I agree that our players have to learn how to be "cuter" I also disagree wth some of your points. Last night was the worst persistent diving and theatrics by a team since Porto in Seville and the ref fell for it.

Also there were over a dozen simulations last night yet the only one that warranted a booking was the one by a Celtic player!

You complain that we gave the ref a decision to make but the only solution to this is for our players to deliberately pull out of every challenge otherwise the cheating drama queens will hurl themselves to the ground and flop about "in agony" like a fish out of water. We will get thrashed in every game if we don't try to tackle our opponents!

I think you are being too harsh on Bayo too. The way I saw it he didn't challenge a goalie lying on the ground with "the ball in his possession". The goalie fumbled the ball and Bayo had a serious chance of getting to it first to score a late winner. He ran at full speed and the goalie dived towards him and JUST got a hand on the ball first. Bayo did well as he didn't follow through as he just missed the ball and the keeper which the ref and all officials correctly called. The goalie then went for an Oscar and over 30 seconds later the ref pulled out a 2nd yellow. Why did the goalie not get a full check over for concussion if the ref thought he was knocked on the head??? I disagree that our strikers should not be safely challenging for a ball within the rules of the game when there is a decent chance of scoring a late winner.

Ajer was stupid last night though. Still think once our CBs are all fit he might be worth trying out as a long term replacement for Broony.
HH🍀

The RENNES players WERE CUTER!!

That was my point They were more proficient in their simulation That is why as you say 'THE REF FELL FOR IT'

Like it or lump it simulation is part of today's game and our players are included in that so if they're going to do it at least make a decent job of it

A blind man going up a hill on a 3 legged donkey could see Edouard's attempt at ref conning was ridiculous and all he did was get himself carded and put under pressure

The last thing we want is for our players to be classed as divers and on the whole they aren't but like anything else if they ARE going to indulge in such antics then at least try and be half decent at it don't just fall in a heap and hope for the best

The Rennes keeper as you say did fumble the ball then flopped down on it and had it under control and in his possession before Bayo's attempt to get it He didn't touch the keeper but his actions combined with the cuteness of the keeper gave the referee a decision to make!!

HH🍀

Last edited:
The RENNES players WERE CUTER!!

That was my point They were more proficient in their simulation That is why as you say 'THE REF FELL FOR IT'

Like it or lump it simulation is part of today's game and our players are included in that so if they're going to do it at least make a decent job of it

A blind man going up a hill on a 3 legged donkey could see Edouard's attempt at ref conning was ridiculous and all he did was get himself carded and put under pressure

The last thing we want is for our players to be classed as divers and on the whole they aren't but like anything else if they ARE going to indulge in such antics then at least try and be half decent at it don't just fall in a heap and hope for the best

The Rennes keeper as you say did fumble the ball then flopped down on it and had it under control and in his possession before Bayo's attempt to get it He didn't touch the keeper but his actions combined with the cuteness of the keeper gave the referee a decision to make!!

HH🍀
So are you saying that we must stop challenging for loose balls or attempt to make any tackles, otherwise we give the referee a decision to make because the opponent could cheat?

The goalie eventually had the ball under his control for a fraction of a second so again we should hold back and not try to score in case they cheat and we give the referee a decision to make?

Eduoard did fall over but then again so did most of their players (repeatedly and often more blatantly but they never got penalised for it) so we need to practice cheating more so we become "cuter" at it?

I appreciate your opinion but think you are maybe being a tad harsh on most of our players as they mostly coped very well against a skillful opponent who were allowed to continually break the laws of the game by a ponce of a referee!

Members online

Latest posts

Back