Catering Class or Crass?

Goldfinch67

There was a post on Celtic news about a plastic bun with matching cheese slice and a burger that was grey in colour with a piece missing? Hence I thought it might be interesting to get a view on the catering in Celtic Park. I turned up at the Aberdeen game at 2.30pm and got a steak pie that looked reheated and was beginning to burn. I asked the girl to take it back and she duly popped it straight back onto the hot plate. How can catering staff manage to produce reheated steak pies - are they coming from other venues? At over £2 for a pie £2.20 and £2.40 to be precise why are we getting served this garbage?

I also get increasingly frustrated with the fact that they cannot have chips ready at 3.45pm - half time and people are getting told you have to wait another 5 minutes for chips? I liked the idea of soup in the winter but it's two parts soup and one part salt. The Kerrydale Suite too - 6 forks full in macaroni cheese £5.50 - really?

I get that catering has to make a profit but there is already a huge mark up in food - so why are fans getting such poor quality food and service? I am in the crass camp and hope someone with shares in the club challenges the club at the AGM to seek better quality food at more competitive prices for our fans. (y)

There was a post on Celtic news about a plastic bun with matching cheese slice and a burger that was grey in colour with a piece missing? Hence I thought it might be interesting to get a view on the catering in Celtic Park. I turned up at the Aberdeen game at 2.30pm and got a steak pie that looked reheated and was beginning to burn. I asked the girl to take it back and she duly popped it straight back onto the hot plate. How can catering staff manage to produce reheated steak pies - are they coming from other venues? At over £2 for a pie £2.20 and £2.40 to be precise why are we getting served this garbage?

I also get increasingly frustrated with the fact that they cannot have chips ready at 3.45pm - half time and people are getting told you have to wait another 5 minutes for chips? I liked the idea of soup in the winter but it's two parts soup and one part salt. The Kerrydale Suite too - 6 forks full in macaroni cheese £5.50 - really?

I get that catering has to make a profit but there is already a huge mark up in food - so why are fans getting such poor quality food and service? I am in the crass camp and hope someone with shares in the club challenges the club at the AGM to seek better quality food at more competitive prices for our fans. (y)
Pack lunch and Celtic are selling super duper wee lunch boxes with a crest on them for £10.99 or £15.99 if you want your name on it in nice gold lettering(not real gold)

The boxes probably don't taste too different from some of the food. :ROFLMAO: Sometimes food is okay but generally it is way overpriced and really poor quality. Have we become so used to being treated like second class money pits that we just accept poor quality. Incidentally you would do well to get into the Kerrydale with a packed lunch. :p

The boxes probably don't taste too different from some of the food. :ROFLMAO: Sometimes food is okay but generally it is way overpriced and really poor quality. Have we become so used to being treated like second class money pits that we just accept poor quality. Incidentally you would do well to get into the Kerrydale with a packed lunch. :p
HH and just having a laugh, but if serious, its not Celtic who cater i have a member of family, last year of school and has this as temp job up there before Uni. Its a private company and zero contracts, therefore not really grub you are been served, just basic cheap shite and heated.

In this day & age with the resources they have the quality should be better especially for the prices.My daughter usually gets chips at half that look a bit dodgy.Occasionally I’ll get a pie but am put off with the quality plus the prices we pay.

I , being a mean old b****** , would never purchase anything to eat/drink from a football ground ,or a Cinema for that matter , as the mark-up is so outrageous . If you need to eat or drink prior to going to the football there are plenty of places to do so at more reasonable cost - and I don't mean the mobile catering establishments lined up outside the ground .
I am of an age that I can remember the 'good old days ' at Parkhead when the catering was only a pie or bovril from the hole in the wall under 'the Jungle ' - mind you , you had to splash through the puddles of pish that covered the area below .
( Toilets for many at that time was a choice between either pissing in an empty beer can - or using the wall under the Jungle - hence the puddles as you attempted to enter the 'cafeteria' area )

There was for many years an alternative to the hole in the wall under the Jungle - a chap came round with a cardboard box , shouting '' There's the spearmintchewingummacaroonbars !''

Boab I got sarcasm with 15.99 lunch box and you can get Peter Lawell's name on in Real Gold....:ROFLMAO: I really have a lot of time for the poor buggers having to work in some of the places. Celtic have a responsibility to ensure those who are catering for their fans 'the Celtic Family' are providing good food and fair prices. Is the food better or cheaper than MacDonald's or KFC and the answer is 'no'.

I would not serve my family this overpriced crap so why does Celtic allow catering contractors to employee people on zero contracts and ensure employees and customers are miserable. We need Celtic to start looking at this and what is the story with the Kerrydale - we the fans are getting done over week in and week out... :poop:

Boab I got sarcasm with 15.99 lunch box and you can get Peter Lawell's name on in Real Gold....:ROFLMAO: I really have a lot of time for the poor buggers having to work in some of the places. Celtic have a responsibility to ensure those who are catering for their fans 'the Celtic Family' are providing good food and fair prices. Is the food better or cheaper than MacDonald's or KFC and the answer is 'no'.

I would not serve my family this overpriced crap so why does Celtic allow catering contractors to employee people on zero contracts and ensure employees and customers are miserable. We need Celtic to start looking at this and what is the story with the Kerrydale - we the fans are getting done over week in and week out... :poop:
Short answer limited liability in insurance, less tax on profit share, return on fixtures and fitting leased, the usual scams, you can cherry pick when leasing.

I , being a mean old b****** , would never purchase anything to eat/drink from a football ground ,or a Cinema for that matter , as the mark-up is so outrageous . If you need to eat or drink prior to going to the football there are plenty of places to do so at more reasonable cost - and I don't mean the mobile catering establishments lined up outside the ground .
I am of an age that I can remember the 'good old days ' at Parkhead when the catering was only a pie or bovril from the hole in the wall under 'the Jungle ' - mind you , you had to splash through the puddles of pish that covered the area below .
( Toilets for many at that time was a choice between either pissing in an empty beer can - or using the wall under the Jungle - hence the puddles as you attempted to enter the 'cafeteria' area )

There was for many years an alternative to the hole in the wall under the Jungle - a chap came round with a cardboard box , shouting '' There's the spearmintchewingummacaroonbars !''
Pissing into a beer can is a skill I haven't yet learned but I know enough not to buy dodgy expensive shit cooked and reheated God knows how many times. Mind you I can go 90 minutes without food....just:ROFLMAO:

Love it spot on ,I remember fondly they days as well and my old da lifting me over the turnstile ,a programme ,aye guy shouting 3pence a macaroon bar,get your Wriglies spearmint gum .Then ma da would lift up to the wall at the back of the jungle then lift me back down at half-time for a pie and bovril at the kiosk at the end of jungle .Oh happy day watching Frank Haffey ,Dunky Makay,BigBilly,Bertie Peacock,John Divers and the rest, then back hame in the supporters bus.

Love it spot on ,I remember fondly they days as well and my old da lifting me over the turnstile ,a programme ,aye guy shouting 3pence a macaroon bar,get your Wriglies spearmint gum .Then ma da would lift up to the wall at the back of the jungle then lift me back down at half-time for a pie and bovril at the kiosk at the end of jungle .Oh happy day watching Frank Haffey ,Dunky Makay,BigBilly,Bertie Peacock,John Divers and the rest, then back hame in the supporters bus.
Sigh! brilliant mate,the good oul'd days! spearmint chewing gum and macaroon bars, that wiz haute cuisine! nane ae this modern shite!!!! HH mate:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Millsy you posted this anywhere else i feel like i read this earlier today?

Millsy you posted this anywhere else i feel like i read this earlier today?
Sometimes Maria it attaches to a post you have been reading and this was the extension for the follow up and then someone else might reply and you get a wee repeat, keep the eyes on your alerts and you will see when comments are made to various threads you might be posting to or following, happy hunting theres lots of rooms still to be discoveredm, really good music one you can add to or simply chill out to. HH

Ive been once or twice and it wasnt the best. It's all big batch stuff they will be doing so there is no reason to cut corners by getting a half arsed supplier. If you are hitting a 75% mark up you are doing well in most restaurants I'd guess they are doing higher than that which is a crime if your paying £30 to get in.
The only advantage from buying in is that it takes the responsibility away from the club. Allergy, product traceability and all the legal bits and bobs are taken care of. All they would have to do is heat it probe it to check the temperature and serve it. No chefs needed. Just someone that has done food saftey training. I don't have a clue how many people are served to cost if it's even worth hiring chefs to work two or three times a month . Cost wise going to fresh cooking you would need one guy full time to manage the kitchen, paperwork and health and safety. Say one more to cover him. That level of kitchen guy would be looking for about £25/30k as a head chef/kitchen manager 1 below him at say 20k that could step in. Line that up against fresh food costs and a better menu then the margins tumble. See where I'm going? The wage/food bill would dwarf the reheat food buy in price.
The grub will only improve once the development of the hotel and entertainment complex is completed. There will be guys on the clock that will be used then.
If anyone from Celtic has read this and thinks I'm the man for the job drop me a pm I'll sort it right out . 30K basic for 7 days a month at a push. A complimentary season ticket and 2 euro away game packages would put pen to paper ?

Last edited:
Ive been once or twice and it wasnt the best. It's all big batch stuff they will be doing so there is no reason to cut corners by getting a half arsed supplier. If you are hitting a 75% mark up you are doing well in most restaurants I'd guess they are doing higher than that which is a crime if your paying £30 to get in.
The only advantage from buying in is that it takes the responsibility away from the club. Allergy, product traceability and all the legal bits and bobs are taken care of. All they would have to do is heat it probe it to check the temperature and serve it. No chefs needed. Just someone that has done food saftey training. I don't have a clue how many people are served to cost if it's even worth hiring chefs to work two or three times a month . Cost wise going to fresh cooking you would need one guy full time to manage the kitchen, paperwork and health and safety. Say one more to cover him. That level of kitchen guy would be looking for about £25/30k as a head chef/kitchen manager 1 below him at say 20k that could step in. Line that up against fresh food costs and a better menu then the margins tumble. See where I'm going? The wage/food bill would dwarf the reheat food buy in price.
The grub will only improve once the development of the hotel and entertainment complex is completed. There will be guys on the clock that will be used then.
If anyone from Celtic has read this and thinks I'm the man for the job drop me a pm I'll sort it right out . 30K basic for 7 days a month at a push. A complimentary season ticket and 2 euro away game packages would put pen to paper ?
go for it bobo,personally iv'e never bought food at any football ground! HH

Sometimes Maria it attaches to a post you have been reading and this was the extension for the follow up and then someone else might reply and you get a wee repeat, keep the eyes on your alerts and you will see when comments are made to various threads you might be posting to or following, happy hunting theres lots of rooms still to be discoveredm, really good music one you can add to or simply chill out to. HH

I wish i had your tech knowledge Boab ???. HH my good pal ☘️

Everytime i send my brother to get us a burger at the football i get no change from a score, brothers eh ??

I mind him well. :)

you forgot the guy selling the sandwiches that looked a week old. The food on Sale doesn't look that good but they have a Dominos and they do small pizzas that I have been told are good but again overprced in the Jock Stein lower

Back