Celtic’s remarkable European Adventure began 58 Years Ago tonight in Valencia

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
Valencia,ma first match,lifted ower,macaroon bars and spearmint chewin gum,oh, 'i remember you' by Frank Ifield,oover the tannoy, those floodlights,that pitch,that crowd,whit an experience furra 9 year auld bhoy!!!!!!, thanks again Matt HH ☘

The fairs cup or whatever it was called could be seen as the forerunner to today's champions league as it was set up to get extra cash for big cities/clubs and was not started by UEFA. At first your city had to have taken part in a european trade fair which is why Hibs played in 62 and not kilmarnock, it also used to feature city selects, teams made up just for the competition. UEFA didn't get involved until 71 or 72. Money money money.
What a night for you though MD. Well jealous, I don't think a big match in the floodlights, especially given the darkness of life in thae days, could be bettered as a youngster and as you say Michael it was for the most part free for the weans.

Superbly researched and written article again Matt. A European nights book on the horizon? I hope so. eye opening re valencia's turning over of three Scottish opponents, and a couple of the goals in that game at Celtic Park were superb!
Cheers, Niall. That’s really kind. I’d love to one on that topic so we’ll see if the opportunity arises to box that off my bucket list. Couple of other things on the go at the moment, hence sometimes I’m off the radar here for a few days at a time.

The fairs cup or whatever it was called could be seen as the forerunner to today's champions league as it was set up to get extra cash for big cities/clubs and was not started by UEFA. At first your city had to have taken part in a european trade fair which is why Hibs played in 62 and not kilmarnock, it also used to feature city selects, teams made up just for the competition. UEFA didn't get involved until 71 or 72. Money money money.
What a night for you though MD. Well jealous, I don't think a big match in the floodlights, especially given the darkness of life in thae days, could be bettered as a youngster and as you say Michael it was for the most part free for the weans.

Great info, Lemon. I could see that as a reason for Hibs getting in before Kilmarnock but not Dunfermline, so that threw me a bit. The more I look at our record and opportunities in that first decade of European competition the more gutted I feel that we ‘only’ won one cup. Goes nowhere near reflecting how good some of those sides were. Strange to think that Lisbon could very easily have been our third European final in four seasons.

Members online

Latest posts

Back