Celtic (1) v Copenhagen (1) - UEFA Europa League, Thursday 26 February, kick-off 8pm - all comments here

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
Celtic for the second time this season bring a 1-1 away result from the first leg of European knock-out competition back to Paradise, and hopefully this time we handle it much better. In that first half against Cluj back in August in the Champions League qualifier, the players didn't appear to know whether to twist or stick with their away goal advantage.

Neil Lennon has hardly put a foot wrong since returning to Celtic Park a year ago this week, but he did have a managerial mare that night, over thinking his team selection and failing to have enough faith in his two summer signings Bolingoli and Jullien who were left on the bench watching the tragedy unfold before their disbelieving eyes. That game signalled the end of Scott Bain as the first pick Celtic keeper and it didn't take Neil Lennon long to go out and bring Fraser Forster back to the club.

Since then we've tried to second guess Neil Lennon's team choices on here but while getting the score correct is usually possible - especially in the group stages of the Europa League where you got 5/6 correct scores on here - getting the team right these days is almost impossible.

The much welcomed change in formation, or at least adding 3-5-2 to the mix makes it even harder. Copenhagen changed their tactics at half-time last Thursday to combat Celtic and it worked, so maybe Lennon will surprise then with a 4-2-3-1 formation on Thursday night?

Let's give guessing the team a go. Remember Broony is a doubt for this one and Ryan Christie is suspended after being booked for conceding the penalty last week. If Broony doesn't make it play Tom Rogic.

Fraser Forster

Kristoffer Ajer, Christopher Jullien, Jozo Simunovic

James Forrest, Scott Brown (or Rogic), Callum McGregor, Olivier Ntcham, Greg Taylor

Leigh Griffiths, Odsonne Edouard

That means Jeremie Frimpong, maybe Tom Rogic, Moi Elyounoussi, Scott Bain, Nir Bitton, Vakoun Bayo, Patryk Klimala, Moritz Bauer and Boli Bolingoli will make up the subs.

No mistakes this time, Celtic 2 Copenhagen 0.

Expect the danes to play the way the did in the 2nd half and will hit us straight from the off looking for an away goal and then park the bus hoping to hit us on the break

we should have killed the game off over there

as i can see this going to extra time

Forster

Ajer elhamed bitton Julie

Broony Rogic Callum elouise

Griff Eddie

1-1

Copenhagen are not comeing here to see the sites Celtic will have to be on thier toes from the whistle I still think we will win but don't think it be an easy ride,too many times in the past we have sat on an away score to see us though this game is in our hands and we need to go all out to win it

Think it'll be a 3-5-2 formation, same back three as Sunday, different wing backs with the midfield dependant on Brown's fitness

Forster
Simunovic Julien Ajer
Forrest Ntcham Brown(or Bitton) McGregor Hayes
Griffiths Edouard

Bain Frimpong Taylor Rogic Bayo Elyounoussi Bitton(or Elhamed)

2-0 Celtic

Look at the game from a Copenhagen perspective. They just need to beat us 1-0 so they will defend solidly. They will look to break sharply and use set pieces. They will aim to go in at half time without conceding a goal. Their goalkeeper will be heroic as usual. They have to score or they are out. They know that. 1-1 means extra time. Any other score and it's just the 90 minutes. If we can score two then they need to score two also

Given possible injury to Broony and Christie being suspended the team I want to see but have no chance in hell of getting -

La Gran Muralla

Hamed Julien Bitton Taylor

Ajer

Forrest CalMac Elnousi

Griff Eddy

They're a big physical side who we struggled to cope with last week when they applied a bit of pressure, especially in central midfield so I think we need plenty of height in the team to combat some of that however with Broony being out we need a presence in the DCM role so Bitton fills in at CB and Ajer moves into the DCM role. Toss up between Forrest and Frimpong tbh but given Forrest's experience he just shades it. Not including Ntcham as I think he struggles in the more physical games.

The past does not predict the future as every bookmaker well knows. Just because we are favourites does not mean anything. They are professional football players and they are paid to win not just turn up. I hope the crowd are loud and encouraging. We either triumph or we are out of Europe. Shoot, shoot shoot.

Expect the danes to play the way the did in the 2nd half and will hit us straight from the off looking for an away goal and then park the bus hoping to hit us on the break

we should have killed the game off over there

as i can see this going to extra time

Forster

Ajer elhamed bitton Julie

Broony Rogic Callum elouise

Griff Eddie

1-1
Having seen pictures of el hamed playing a reserve game it would be great if he was ready but cant see it. I dont want broony to play through the pain barrier he doesn't have to the squad we have now. Is Christie injured or suspended? Have a feeling we'll see hayes at some point depending on how it's going. Think 3-5-2 is the way, we will run over the top of them with the supporters on side. Hope lenny doesn't get caught up in mind tactical games and just plays our best whether 3 or 4 at back only 4 if el hamed is fit 3 otherwise, we owe them a 3-0 ,3-1 from when we were crap away with Ronny though the mental block wasn't his fault. We were awful and its time to put things right in that respect boss them start to finish so they are dizzy at ht and ft CP ringing in their ears COYBIG intae this mob HH ☘

The past does not predict the future as every bookmaker well knows. Just because we are favourites does not mean anything. They are professional football players and they are paid to win not just turn up. I hope the crowd are loud and encouraging. We either triumph or we are out of Europe. Shoot, shoot shoot.
CP will be rocking to the rafters full stadium Copenhagen wont have experienced this as a collective

Members online

Latest posts

Back