Celtic and Catholicism

My mother made me go to mass every Sunday til I was about 15. One Sunday I went in and sat up on the gallery as normal with my normal outfit of heavy metal tshirt and combat jacket. The tshirt that day was a Slayer one with a dug up grave and rats chewing on the limbs of a corpse. Had a bit of an 'oh fuck' moment when I took my seat and noticed the coffin up at the altar. Never got much hassle about going to mass after that.

My mother made me go to mass every Sunday til I was about 15. One Sunday I went in and sat up on the gallery as normal with my normal outfit of heavy metal tshirt and combat jacket. The tshirt that day was a Slayer one with a dug up grave and rats chewing on the limbs of a corpse. Had a bit of an 'oh fuck' moment when I took my seat and noticed the coffin up at the altar. Never got much hassle about going to mass after that.

I started to "dog" mass about the age of 12.you needed to find out who said mass because our ma's would always ask. Feeling a bit scared I decided to read an old Bible we had to try and restore my faith which I was assured I would pay dearly for. The more I read of it the further away I got. The god character in the Bible is truly malignant. I understood why catholics weren't encouraged to read it. We had the catechisms. The more I tried to find belief by reading, the further away I drifted.

Well I was brought up as a Roman Catholic mainly by my Mum who was the most devout catholic I’ve ever known. Her father was a convert to the catholic faith. There was a picture of the Sacred Heart in our house and the eyes followed you wherever you were in the room. It scared me half to death. But my Mum did the most wonderful job of passing on her faith to us. It has stood me in good stead when i needed it most. She practised her faith with humility and simplicity and she was the most beautiful person in the world and lived a life where her faith was central to every part of her daily life. An example of true faith and love so I believe I was very fortunate indeed.

The amazing thing about Catholicism and Catholics (probably shared by some other religions) is the ability to laugh at ourselves and be self-critical. One of my favourite scenes in a movie is that scene with Bobby Sands and the priest before he goes on hunger strike. Is there a Catholic out there who does not get that scene? There are very few Catholics who think Popes, Bishops and Priests are all saints - they may hold office but they do not represent our faith. Our faith (if Catholic) is between you and God. I have met some great priests like Father Gallagher and Father Gibbons (now passed) who believed in helping ordinary people and helped the poor and the struggling of all faiths. Ironically both did not have a lot of time for the Bishops. I do not believe that all Jewish people are Israeli extremists or that all Palestinian's are peace loving - there is good and bad in all religions and all country's. There are some wonderful non-Catholic people in this world. At Celtic Park I welcome anyone who loves our team regardless of their faith. It's not often I am inspired by politicians but did any of you see Nancy Pelosi being accused of hating Donald Trump as she left a press conference. She came back and went behind the podium to inform the reporter and I am paraphrasing, "I am a Catholic and I do not hate anyone. I pray for the President every night". How powerful if that? That's why I do not like to see Celtic supporters getting dragged down into the Hun culture of hatred - for generations your Great Gran, Grandfather, Gran, Grandfather, Mum or Father would have risen above hatred. We need to try and not lose sight of that quality. My old mum lived for 6-years after being told she would have 12-18 months to live and her religion dragged her through every one of those 5-years. Her cancer was not overcome by a priest or Bishop it was her and her faith. If anyone of you get the chance to go the Glasgow Cathedral mass around 5pm on a Saturday night and listen to Maria singing at mass - there are people in this world who carry Religion far above our basic human failings. Anyway, 3 Glenlivets and I get too heavy. I pray tonight we are all happy at this time tomorrow night and if for any reason (the man in black is erratic) we are not happy then we will be stronger come the 29th. HH

My maw used to make the priests vestments,I was about 7/8 my grannie was a devout chapel goer ,in fact my two sisters and myself ,had to go to stations of the cross mon/Friday,7pm ,for years ,hh

Used to not like Christmas, because it was such an emotional time & put such a strain on people, but now, it's a favourite time of year for us all
Here's Liliana helping Grandma make cookies
She brings us so much Joy

Attachments

• Making cookies with Grandma.jpg
    Making cookies with Grandma.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Grandma'sl liittle helper 1 .jpg
    Grandma'sl liittle helper 1 .jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Hard work making cookies .jpg
    Hard work making cookies .jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 2