Celtic Count the Cost of Success

the amount of games those bhoys have played in the last 3 years in particular, is incredible,which makes the unprecedented treble treble, historic! they played 4 seasons worth of games in three season's players need rest time instead of being ran into the ground,great research CBN. HH

http://celticbynumberscom.ipage.com/celtic-count-the-cost-of-success/

With Bayo joining Rogic as injured, the crock curse seems like a trend rather than bad luck. Are Celtic paying the price for so much success? The injury situation is getting worse season by season and here are the numbers that show how.
This is something that I've been highlighting (OK - whinging about) for a couple of years now. That's why Rodgers strategy of playjng the same players over and over with no breaks was ridiculous and we are paying the price for it now (KT suffered more than most). This is why we need strong back-ups and faith in our very talented youngsters to proactively rotate a couple of players in more games.

That was the thing about Rodgers, - he said one thing, then did something else. Absolute shyster.

He said over and over that he wasn’t interested in trophies/records, - that he was only about improving/coaching the players. Like some sort of Good Samaritan.

He was a good coach, - he was also selfish.

There were plenty of domestic cup games/games at Celtic Park that Tierney, McGregor, Brown etc should of been rested.

What’s the bloody point of Gamboa or Kouassi being there if we can’t play them at home to a St Mirren or whatever.

For the next 2 years we should be playing squad/youth players in the League/Scottish Cup. It’s not ideal but all our focus has to be on Europe and obviously the winning 9/10.

I like the idea of two squads. Especially with our squad depth and next generation of youth coming through it's good sense. However, because of the success we've gone through. I think this concept is difficult to implement as you'd run the risk of losing a game which puts you out of the cup or lose 2/3 points. Every game is a must win for Celtic, it's so much harder to be brave with these type of strategies.

I like the idea of two squads. Especially with our squad depth and next generation of youth coming through it's good sense. However, because of the success we've gone through. I think this concept is difficult to implement as you'd run the risk of losing a game which puts you out of the cup or lose 2/3 points. Every game is a must win for Celtic, it's so much harder to be brave with these type of strategies.
It has to be properly managed. We can't make sweeping changes all the time, otherwise you lose continuity and possibly too many points. But no reason why players like Broony, CalMac, KT, Christie, etc, can't be rested 1 or 2 at a time in home games against the likes of Hamilton, Ross County, St Johnstone, Motherwell, etc.

And instead of always bringing on the usual suspects after 65 minutes, if we are a couple of goals up then cut loose a fantastically talented youngster or two. It gives them much needed experience & exposure, and can give the fans (and other young fringe players) a big boost for the future. That's why I'd like us to name a couple of youngsters on our 7 man bench for the majority of our matches.

Last edited:
It has to be properly mansged. We can't make sweeping chsnges all the time, otherwise you lose continuity and possibly too many points. But no reason why players like Broony, CalMac, KT, Christie, etc, can't be rested 1 or 2 at a time in home games agsinst the likes of Hamilton, Ross County, St Johnstone, Motherwell, etc.

And instead of always bringing on the usual suspects after 65 minutes, if we are a couple of goals up then cut loose a fantastically talented youngster or two. It gives them much needed experience & exposure, and can give the fans (and other young fringe players) a big boost for the future. Thats why I'd like us to name a couple of youngsters on our 7 man bench for the majority of our matches.
That's how I'd like to see it done. BR stuck to a group he could trust and some of that was because when he did make changes he made too many, got a bit of stick for a poor performance and reverted to type. But home games against bottom 6 sides and as Ronin said maybe sacrifice the League Cup and possibly the early rounds of the Scottish depending on who we draw, and where we draw them. I do like to be in the Scottish Cup final. the showpiece. Love it, but an early gamble could pay dividends.

That's how I'd like to see it done. BR stuck to a group he could trust and some of that was because when he did make changes he made too many, got a bit of stick for a poor performance and reverted to type. But home games against bottom 6 sides and as Ronin said maybe sacrifice the League Cup and possibly the early rounds of the Scottish depending on who we draw, and where we draw them. I do like to be in the Scottish Cup final. the showpiece. Love it, but an early gamble could pay dividends.
Absolutely 100% agree. And when BR made huge changes he also brought in players from the cold (Gamboa, Mikey J, Ralston, etc) and often played them out of position too. Keep it simple by sensibly playing to your squad's strengths.

Much as I'd love yet another treble, it is fairly unlikely and much prefer to win the cup final in last game of the season at Hampden rather than the league cup. Obviously if we draw someone like Aberdeen or rangers away then you play a strong side as you want to maintain dominance over the stronger opponents. It is s tricky balancing act though.

Terrific piece of analysis - again! Well done !

Not a criticism - but I wonder about the hammer thrower tactics of some players/team and the Nelson Eye used by some match officials to these tactics . Does this have a bearing on our ever increasing injury list ?

HH

[QUOTE="Much as I'd love yet another treble, it is fairly unlikely and much prefer to win the cup final in last game of the season at Hampden rather than the league cup. Obviously if we draw someone like Aberdeen or rangers away then you play a strong side as you want to maintain dominance over the stronger opponents. It is s tricky balancing act though.[/QUOTE]

This is where us as fans have to change our mind set, in the league cup why can't we play our team full of youngsters for the whole tournement even if we meet the mighty sevco or Aberdeen. The youngsters will gain so much experience in these games, win or lose. And we get to see how really has the talent to break into the 1st team. It also gives the 1st team a break espically with so many midweek european games.

Not a criticism - but I wonder about the hammer thrower tactics of some players/team and the Nelson Eye used by some match officials to these tactics . Does this have a bearing on our ever increasing injury list ?

HH

Yep!

One of the main contributing factors I do believe.

Also, there’s also a thought that Lennoxtown is not user friendly as the pitches are usually very hard due to the constant wind factor and coldness which may be contributing to the copious amount of muscular injuries our players are receiving.

HH

Its open season on Celtic players especially when playing Sevco, Embra Huns and Aberdeen. Throw in the right ref, Craig Thomson, John Beaton, Steven McLean and Bobby Madden, and ye get yer eye socket smashed. The injury to Corpus Christie was a direct result of Craig Thomsons failure to take action against Aberdeen players earlier in the game.
The referee sponsored hammer throwers must surely play a part in our increasing injury list. It will only get worse as we win nine and then ten.
HH

[QUOTE="Much as I'd love yet another treble, it is fairly unlikely and much prefer to win the cup final in last game of the season at Hampden rather than the league cup. Obviously if we draw someone like Aberdeen or rangers away then you play a strong side as you want to maintain dominance over the stronger opponents. It is s tricky balancing act though.

This is where us as fans have to change our mind set, in the league cup why can't we play our team full of youngsters for the whole tournement even if we meet the mighty sevco or Aberdeen. The youngsters will gain so much experience in these games, win or lose. And we get to see how really has the talent to break into the 1st team. It also gives the 1st team a break espically with so many midweek european games.[/QUOTE]
Mentioned the same thing a few weeks ago about the League Cup, but I would leave it till we went out of one of the cups, we are still making history with the cups so we have to put our best team for these games, start youngsters in the earlier rounds but don't mess around in the big ties. As soon as we're out though I would just hand the League Cup to the youngsters for the whole tournament, this would give the first team a bit more breathing space for recovery time, we have played more games in the last 3 or 4 years than nearly every team in Europe, the boost that would give our youngsters would bring them on faster imo.

Members online

Latest posts

Back