Celtic fans/Green brigade do next to nothing to call out the referees and their blatant anti Celtic hatred and prejudice.

I had never heard as much detail about the John Thomson incident JC it would be interesting if anyone else could add to it with story’s from their Father/grand fathers.
On the subject of calling it out who should do what IMO mate it’s a bit harsh to put it all on the managers shoulders. Yes he should be calling out dodgy decisions or bad tackles when getting interviewed but it should be as a club that we go for the SFA ,SPL or LRA

I was very young at the time, round about the late sixties, when a school friend of mine came in from a Celtic game he'd just attended with his father.
He came in singing a Celtic song I new as the 'Battle of Ibrox', and though I had never been allowed to go to Glasgow at that time there were often scenes on telly of rival violence between Celtic and the moronic mob.
Born in 1903, my father's first marriage ended when his wife died whilst giving birth in 1937 in Dundee's Maryfield hospital, though their daughter Sylvia survived.

He re-married again to my mother in 1949 in Italy who was many years younger than him, and had a further 8 children up to and when I was born.
When John Thomson died in 1931 my father owned several businesses, bookmakers, ice cream and fish and chip shops.

As a child my dad had gotten me to love Celtic by showing me many of their games when they were on telly and often on a 9 inch one with a horrible grainy black and white picture.
I have hardly missed a game since 2004 and Henrik's last one, right up until Covid struck ...my very last one on March 7th 2020.
This season I've had to give up my missus and my ST seats as I'm still trying to get on my legs again
after a hip op that went badly wrong and couldn't walk until a few weeks ago let alone drive to Glasgow every single game.

There were hundreds of Celtic fans travelling from Dundee to Celtic Park every week back in the thirties and many of them would come into his shops and tell my father how the game panned out.
He recalls that, immediately after the Ibrox game they were incensed about the 'attack' on Thomson by a Rangers player, convinced that it was his heel connecting with his head and not his knee as was written by a reporter the following day.

My father said there were Twelve thousand fans attending the game and likely ALL had seen Sam English's boot connect, with countless nos complaining to a newspaper which had reported it as his knee that slammed into Thomson's head.
My dad was more insistent way back then with the 'facts' far fresher than they would be today and I certainly remember them word for word as he relayed them.

He claimed only one reporter for a single newspaper ever reported on the Thomson game and fully thirty six hours afterwards.

There is not a single photograph taken that was offered publicly at the time of the incident.

There were no TV nor radio reports ever about any football anywhere in Britain at the time.

Other papers copied the original reporter's accounts which were almost verbatim and allied to HIS account.

Twelve thousand Celtic fans attending the game screamed at English and his straight leg lunge at Thomson's head. Their arguments both ruling out the knee contact and him going for the ball which also appeared to be at least five feet away from the Celtic keeper's head.

The countless fans that were straight up with my dad insisting on it being an outright kick at Thomson's head and in no more than 3 hours after the game had ended and just 20 mins after coming off the Glasgow to Dundee train.

But it was the fact despite their insistence that not one could have known nor read about the report on the game for at least a further 24 hours until it had gone on sale.

He was certain it was a doctored report to detract from the 'boot' to the 'knee' on Thomson's head by the reporter who had knowingly done this in his hope of protecting Sam English and Rangers in the process.

Today, 90 years later, the passage of time and the lack of reporting on this tragedy has allowed the dilution of this event.

It seems the rage of these original Celtic fans and witnesses has been silenced, and their truth has been hi-jacked for a version that has been all too easily modified, replaced and accepted for another....
Another version foisted on us that suits both their agenda and our thinking ....today.

....if there are others still alive who too have heard from others who had witnessed this event I would dearly love to hear from them and their accounts.

Last edited:
On the subject of calling it out who should do what IMO mate it’s a bit harsh to put it all on the managers shoulders. Yes he should be calling out dodgy decisions or bad tackles when getting interviewed but it should be as a club that we go for the SFA ,SPL or LRA

I also agree as much in my earlier post Legend 07, where I say likewise including the backing from our board towards Ange regarding the safety of our players and calling out their inept refereeing.

We can't stay silent a moment longer ....as fans we have a duty of care for our boys also ...don't we?

Lets embarrass the whole lot of them.....It's bound to carry momentum eventually.

I also agree as much in my earlier post Legend 07, where I say likewise including the backing from our board towards Ange regarding the safety of our players and calling out their inept refereeing.

We can't stay silent a moment longer ....as fans we have a duty of care for our boys also ...don't we?

Lets embarrass the whole lot of them.....It's bound to carry momentum eventually.
If only

Back