Celtic Founding Fathers articles

James Quillan - https://thecelticstar.com/james-quillan-the-celtic-founder-who-defected-formed-a-rival-club/

He gave us a big donation, helped found the club, became first vice president and then led committeemen away to form a rival Irish club in glasgow - Glasgow Hibernian. This is the longest piece as I combine his life story with the story of the whole saga when he formed a rival club.
I have never heard of Glashow Hibernian before. A fascinating story. Thanks for a great series of articles.

I have never heard of Glashow Hibernian before. A fascinating story. Thanks for a great series of articles.

When I was doing research for my book, I was looking for incidents or events that had been organised from each decade. I'd never came across Glasgow Hibernian until I read through the reports about the AGMs and took it from there. They wern't around long, but could potentially have destroyed Celtic

When I was doing research for my book, I was looking for incidents or events that had been organised from each decade. I'd never came across Glasgow Hibernian until I read through the reports about the AGMs and took it from there. They wern't around long, but could potentially have destroyed Celtic
Great reading, keep them coming Liam ☘

Yes, Celtic easily could have disappeared or even seen a split the support and finances for many years before the inevitable merger. Thanks again. 🍀

John A MacCreadie -

https://thecelticstar.com/john-a-maccreadie-founding-father-of-donegal-descent/

This one may well wrap up the series. I wouldn't count Willie and Tom Maley as founding fathers despite the fact they agreed to sign for Celtic in September 1887 and the club wasn't formed until November that year. Willie Maley gives a lot of first hand information on the club's establishment in his book, so he obviously knew what was going on and the brothers both played in Celtic's earliest games etc. But neither actually were involved in the founding of the club.

I need to check out Stephen J Henry and Timothy Walls a bit further to see if they deem them founding fathers. Both didn't appear on the committee until the 1890s, but just looking confirm whether or not they were non-committee founders, just like Brother Dorotheus was.

Last edited by a moderator:
So after researching Timothy Walls and Stephen J Henry I don't think either qualify. The Maley's agreed to sign for celtic in September 1887 but didnt actually play a part in founding the club.

So unfortunately that's the end of the series. Was hoping for a few more, but 21 profiles there. What a shame that 20 of the men are largely forgotten.

I have plans to put them into a publication to spread the message

So after researching Timothy Walls and Stephen J Henry I don't think either qualify. The Maley's agreed to sign for celtic in September 1887 but didnt actually play a part in founding the club.

So unfortunately that's the end of the series. Was hoping for a few more, but 21 profiles there. What a shame that 20 of the men are largely forgotten.

Great idea Liam,more power tae ye!

Brilliant Liam. It is important to remember our history. We are being spoilt by these wonderful old articles by yourself, Matt and David Potter. Thanks. 🍀

Back