Celtic in English Leagues

Vigobhoy

Anybody think there could be a window open for Celtic to head south as the financial implications of this Covid Pandemic hits the various leagues in the south? There are many clubs who face survival issues which could end in closure. That might some create swiss cheese effects in the leagues

Anybody think there could be a window open for Celtic to head south as the financial implications of this Covid Pandemic hits the various leagues in the south? There are many clubs who face survival issues which could end in closure. That might some create swiss cheese effects in the leagues
I think European football will be given a shake up.

I think maybe a Northern Super League of Scandinavian, Dutch & Belgian teams is more possible. The english will keep us at arms length as there is so much money down there.

Then again, maybe we will just continue on forever more with the same structure that suited everyone in the 1890s!

The only way a North Atlantic type league would get off the ground, is if ALL the nations involved refuse to televise champions league games and play their games at the same time, as champions league ties, starve them of money, force UEFA to change, as in fuck you, you don’t want us in, we’ll do our own thing, let them have a league with only England, Spain, France, Germany and Italy in it, see how long it take to get bored with that, if the wee nations get their act together, they could change it, im not the slightest bit interested watching Chelsea vPSG or Barcelona v Juventus, or Man City v Bayern Munich, if their noo playing in green and white hoops, rather watch Corrie with the wife on a Tuesday or Wednesday, 🤣🤣

Season 2020-21 starts on August 1st and it's already 4th July. Covid will continue to have major economic consequences. We have not seen the worst yet. The most important goal is to achieve the immortal 10 in a row. That will endure for the rest of time. Season 2021-22 may look very different across European football and if ever there was a time to have a major reorganisation that would be the moment. Covid is impacting all of Europe and UEFA will be more amenable to consider proposals that were previously unthinkable. Let's just focus on the Decima and if we get invited to join another league we can take that with us if we choose at a later date.

Nothing is impossible, especially when Sky TV money is concerned but getting in to the English leagues would require an interpretation of the rules that only Stuart Doncaster would be capable of.

England has 4 top leagues which are the pinnacle of of a well established pyramid system which goes down to at least tier 7. Assuming 20 clubs to a league that puts a mere 140 clubs ahead of any new comers. They are not going to sit back and allow usurpers from anywhere jump the queue in front of them. Would we accept 7 years away from Europe? Because if everything went to plan that's how long it would take to get back to the top. If we had a hiccup, it could be longer.
Sky's money might grease a few palms but in the end I think this will only ever be a pipe dream.

There is more chance of us joining some sort of Atlantic league.

Nothing is impossible, especially when Sky TV money is concerned but getting in to the English leagues would require an interpretation of the rules that only Stuart Doncaster would be capable of.

England has 4 top leagues which are the pinnacle of of a well established pyramid system which goes down to at least tier 7. Assuming 20 clubs to a league that puts a mere 140 clubs ahead of any new comers. They are not going to sit back and allow usurpers from anywhere jump the queue in front of them. Would we accept 7 years away from Europe? Because if everything went to plan that's how long it would take to get back to the top. If we had a hiccup, it could be longer.
Sky's money might grease a few palms but in the end I think this will only ever be a pipe dream.

There is more chance of us joining some sort of Atlantic league.
Completely understand everything you have said Warriorthruandthru but what we need to remember this EFA is not an all English clubs assocciation.
They have Wrexham,Cardiff, Swansea and Newport in their leagues,we only need to look at the part SKY TV played in keeping our premiership a 12 club set up and this was to make sure they got at least 4 old firm games per season and a possible bonus if they met in cup games..
Lets hope it is not all a pipe dream mate because if push came to shove and I had a choice of venues next Saturday everything being normal and I had to choose between Fir Park and Goodison Park I am heading to Liverpool..
Are we building a hotel for tourists who want to come to the east end of Glasgow or are building a hotel to accommodate English Premiership clubs and supporters..or if Edwin Van Der Sar gets his way it will be a hotel for Europeans and their fans..only time will tell my friend..

HH.

Maybe making this a bit too complicated. Occums Razor might suggest that if any clubs go to the wall as a result of Covid they will want/have to fill the holes and it might mean an invite. How many other clubs wit a 60,000 bi weekly fan support, financially stable, might they be able to invite. Just a point of discussion.

I wish we could just market our game for the blood and thunder of it.
There is a gap in the market for football fans bored to tears with the sanitised version of football played out amongst the 'top' european leagues.
Our football would make for good TV and we already have massive crowds given the size of the country.
Sadly this summer has shown that we could be offered the goose that laid the golden egg and we'd vote against it.
If we can't waken up soon and allow external help to market our game, then I think Celtic need to think about alternatives. We can only allow ourselves to be hamstrung by our environment for so long before it actually has a long term damaging impact on us. If it hasn't already.

I wish we could just market our game for the blood and thunder of it.
There is a gap in the market for football fans bored to tears with the sanitised version of football played out amongst the 'top' european leagues.
Our football would make for good TV and we already have massive crowds given the size of the country.
Sadly this summer has shown that we could be offered the goose that laid the golden egg and we'd vote against it.
If we can't waken up soon and allow external help to market our game, then I think Celtic need to think about alternatives. We can only allow ourselves to be hamstrung by our environment for so long before it actually has a long term damaging impact on us. If it hasn't already.
Celtic have been the Samson of Scottish Football for a very long time now Niall how much longer are we expected to be the bread winner for almost half the Scottish Premiership,is it not about time we started looking after ourselves like the rest of them do, we have a perfect example over at the cesspit where the man mind thy selve club sits..
We have a fantastic support in The Green Brigade who take all the shit thrown at them week after week but when it comes to wadeing in with food and money there are none finer at any football club in any country in the world..
Maybe the English Leagues would,nt be too bad an idea..

HH

Celtic have been the Samson of Scottish Football for a very long time now Niall how much longer are we expected to be the bread winner for almost half the Scottish Premiership,is it not about time we started looking after ourselves like the rest of them do, we have a perfect example over at the cesspit where the man mind thy selve club sits..
We have a fantastic support in The Green Brigade who take all the shit thrown at them week after week but when it comes to wadeing in with food and money there are none finer at any football club in any country in the world..
Maybe the English Leagues would,nt be too bad an idea..

HH
Spot on GS. I'm open to alternatives. I'd love to see what outside influence could do with our league, but sadly even our own custodians would rather peddle the duopoly myth and it's long since gone.

Maybe take over Gretna 2008 and start in the Lowland League. That's as far south i'd accept, and probably as close as we'd get to the EPL. It's a no for me.

European football is facing an existential dilemma and every month clubs debts rise and rise. Football without fans is loss making. Already Wigan are in administration and several more clubs will likely go under before the end of the year. If that happens then the fixture list is unfinished. There are 4 Welsh clubs in the English league and 1 NZ team in the Australian league. Israel are part of UEFA. So that is not the issue. I cannot however imagine Celtic ever being invited without a similar invitation for our Glasgow rivals. I never thought the Berlin wall would come down or a Black man become USA President. It would only ever happen in extraordinary circumstances such as a global pandemic. Who knows what the future holds?

Members online

Latest posts

Back