Celtic in Europe, flattering to deceive?

Winter

Just as disappointed this morning. My other half doesnt get the depression i/we all feel over the game, gave up trying to explain years ago, gave up trying to explain why completely 2 years ago when I joined this forum ( thank God for this forum). Celtic in Europe can be such an awesome experience but also we get far too many of these utter shambolic performances and this has been going on since the end of the 70s. Unfortunately I'm just out of the golden age of the clubs european dominance , the best I've seen was the run to Seville. I dont understand it, even after all the years of having top managers Caeser , MON, BR at the club we have consistently flattered to decieve. Theres even a case for lenny being second only to MON for best European results over the years, he has masterminded some unreal results v Barcelona h&a and recently lazio. Still these results are peppered in between the harsh realities of the likes of neuchatel xamax, sion, legia Warsaw, Copenhagen, cluj, Lincoln red imps 🤬 (sorry bhoys&ghirls) Vs Leipzig , man city h&a , barcelona h&a, Stuttgart, Bayern , Juventus and it's not good enough for a club with our resources. Sparta Prague have never been mugs and are a tactically astute side always. We are hit and miss ..always. last year we topped our group for the first time ever. What? No that's not good enough for a gold star club, we are not Red Star Belgrade we have countless millions and incredible resources to that club also a gold star elite member. I've often thought that its psychological, thought it was we're tactically naive but how does a club like ours fail so spectacularly and regularly only to shock everyone with a result like lazio? I'm at a loss to comprehend it. The players are there and the management team have been also. Perhaps we haven't had both at the same time but I'm clutching at straws now. Surely it has to be the target for our club to get back at least to the latter stages of european competition every season for our 'hidden saviour' and PL? Theres no money in Scottish football why have we not got a plan for the European season after all these years? I'm sick of one good result sending shockwaves around the world only to be thumped by Copenhagen next round. I thought it was a mistake to give up our unbeaten record in the group last season and I was right , it affected momentum losing that last game away to cluj. I dont know ( think I've said that ) it's not good enough for me so its definately not good enough for the board that's a given. Yet what have they done about arresting the slide? SFA thats what. Yes I'm still sore same as you all are but I'm waking up this morning and I've said my thoughts on lenny last night but the board? They employ him they are the losers in the club and in more ways than one. DD and PL cannot be making money from dropping out of the cl then dropping out of the EL with 1pt from 12? Where is the leadership? Pl is a magician with numbers , knows nothing of the game, DD is a billionaire who wants to make Celtic great again ( translation = make Celtic a great cash cow again) they are to blame for this all of it not one man , a legend in our history. Perhaps the GB could take this matter up next time they decide to inspire (joke) with banners?

Just as disappointed this morning. My other half doesnt get the depression i/we all feel over the game, gave up trying to explain years ago, gave up trying to explain why completely 2 years ago when I joined this forum ( thank God for this forum). Celtic in Europe can be such an awesome experience but also we get far too many of these utter shambolic performances and this has been going on since the end of the 70s. Unfortunately I'm just out of the golden age of the clubs european dominance , the best I've seen was the run to Seville. I dont understand it, even after all the years of having top managers Caeser , MON, BR at the club we have consistently flattered to decieve. Theres even a case for lenny being second only to MON for best European results over the years, he has masterminded some unreal results v Barcelona h&a and recently lazio. Still these results are peppered in between the harsh realities of the likes of neuchatel xamax, sion, legia Warsaw, Copenhagen, cluj, Lincoln red imps 🤬 (sorry bhoys&ghirls) Vs Leipzig , man city h&a , barcelona h&a, Stuttgart, Bayern , Juventus and it's not good enough for a club with our resources. Sparta Prague have never been mugs and are a tactically astute side always. We are hit and miss ..always. last year we topped our group for the first time ever. What? No that's not good enough for a gold star club, we are not Red Star Belgrade we have countless millions and incredible resources to that club also a gold star elite member. I've often thought that its psychological, thought it was we're tactically naive but how does a club like ours fail so spectacularly and regularly only to shock everyone with a result like lazio? I'm at a loss to comprehend it. The players are there and the management team have been also. Perhaps we haven't had both at the same time but I'm clutching at straws now. Surely it has to be the target for our club to get back at least to the latter stages of european competition every season for our 'hidden saviour' and PL? Theres no money in Scottish football why have we not got a plan for the European season after all these years? I'm sick of one good result sending shockwaves around the world only to be thumped by Copenhagen next round. I thought it was a mistake to give up our unbeaten record in the group last season and I was right , it affected momentum losing that last game away to cluj. I dont know ( think I've said that ) it's not good enough for me so its definately not good enough for the board that's a given. Yet what have they done about arresting the slide? SFA thats what. Yes I'm still sore same as you all are but I'm waking up this morning and I've said my thoughts on lenny last night but the board? They employ him they are the losers in the club and in more ways than one. DD and PL cannot be making money from dropping out of the cl then dropping out of the EL with 1pt from 12? Where is the leadership? Pl is a magician with numbers , knows nothing of the game, DD is a billionaire who wants to make Celtic great again ( translation = make Celtic a great cash cow again) they are to blame for this all of it not one man , a legend in our history. Perhaps the GB could take this matter up next time they decide to inspire (joke) with banners?
While our ultimate aim is defeat the huns in every competition we both enter, my most memorable nights at Paradise were always the European nights and giving it to the big teams on the continent. We're not even among the diddy teams any more, we're getting spanked by them
We've fell fast from a great height and thats down to the business model/lack of ambition for footballing success which in theory would give the board what they crave most £££

While our ultimate aim is defeat the huns in every competition we both enter, my most memorable nights at Paradise were always the European nights and giving it to the big teams on the continent. We're not even among the diddy teams any more, we're getting spanked by them
We've fell fast from a great height and thats down to the business model/lack of ambition for footballing success which in theory would give the board what they crave most £££
Same STG Celtic handing it to man utd milan Barcelona even the shakhtar karagandy comeback are special memories, so was my one night time fixture v Glasgow rangers lenny, mjallby v mccoist no contest there. The board to me it would appear have held back for too long in backing the previous manager's and scouting networks enough and hoped that the final push 'two seasons of high investment in player personnel' would be enough to deliver the ten but failed to invest substantially more than sevco who did throw everything from who knows where . Not much difference these days from a £2 million player to a £10 million player the real valuations , this nonsense wouldnt be accepted in any other business under law , this butters £2 this butters £45 million . The boards actions actually baffles right now , I'd go as far as saying that they have hindered the club in search of numbers In the black. We should be and are in a position to attract another top level manager like Rodgers the money is there from player sales, sponsorship deals and competition money not to mention the supporters money. This board have to do better, highest paid CEO in Britain contributing nothing more than too little too late ( rant done)

Same STG Celtic handing it to man utd milan Barcelona even the shakhtar karagandy comeback are special memories, so was my one night time fixture v Glasgow rangers lenny, mjallby v mccoist no contest there. The board to me it would appear have held back for too long in backing the previous manager's and scouting networks enough and hoped that the final push 'two seasons of high investment in player personnel' would be enough to deliver the ten but failed to invest substantially more than sevco who did throw everything from who knows where . Not much difference these days from a £2 million player to a £10 million player the real valuations , this nonsense wouldnt be accepted in any other business under law , this butters £2 this butters £45 million . The boards actions actually baffles right now , I'd go as far as saying that they have hindered the club in search of numbers In the black. We should be and are in a position to attract another top level manager like Rodgers the money is there from player sales, sponsorship deals and competition money not to mention the supporters money. This board have to do better, highest paid CEO in Britain contributing nothing more than too little too late ( rant done)
You are only ranting because you like me and many other rational Celtic supporters are watching the unravelling of our Club. Self emolification i think, SP will correct me if i'm wrong, we're currently eating ourselves from the inside out.
As long as a football fan has been a football fan the one thing they all know is a team with a top manager becomes a top team. A Top team without a top manager NEVER overcomes the handicap of an inferior leader, ever.
Jose goes to Spurs, outside of the black hole of Man Utd, you know Spurs having the talent and finance of a top team, lacked the mentality. They'll be there or thereabouts, you just know it. The snake comes in, transforms us, same team add Dembele and Sinclair and little else.
Klopp at Liverpool, same. Stein/Celtic etc. But these guys on our board settle for second rate managers and potential/second rate siginings. Why ? Do you think a billionair like DD will settle for second rate running one of his cash cow business like BETDAQ. No chance.
Beacuse there aint the miilions of the EPL/European league he's not really giving a fuck and Lawell is a businessman who shouldn't be making football appointments.
Fuck signing Klimala and Sorro's and put the £5 million towards a managers wages. They know it makes sense but don't, why is the question ??????? They saw what Rodgers brought so why would you go for a lesser quality ? BAFFLES ME
The reason were ranting is we're only supporters and they're the ''guys in the know', but its us that see it, we know they know the recipe to success but for the sake of a few quid profit take chances with our chances of success

Last edited:
........ And breathe. 😂

Just watched the Celtic stars hilarious lost video clip of chick nick celebrating donatis late winner v shakhtar Donetsk 12 years ago and its indeed hilarious I'm guessing you've all seen it, it looks like it's for the cameras and cringeworthy at best. On another point recently DD was quoted as saying that the current Celtic side would beat the seville side under MON, maybe at their best they might cause them problems but better than? Nope not a chance. Having watched the jiri jarosik donati goals v shakhtar Donetsk I am also 100% certain that WGS side wouldve played the current side off the park both at their best. WGS side had hesselink and mcgeady ( a winger with a great delivery and vision) what's DD on deludamol? Jarosiks goal a thing of beauty that volley. God I miss those days full house and taking top scalps regularly though usually at home. Cant believe that was 12 year ago

To be fair to Desmond most of the Seville side will be late 40s early 50s now, so maybe a draw if you ask me. 😂😂😂😂
Nah they'd probably still win given how the current side are playing. That WGS team went cl last 16 twice and only went out to a del piero extra time winner in Milan that sides results in europe has to be the best weve had for ever as that was the cl not the UEFA cup

Back