Celtic Noise latest from The Celtic Star

Not so sure I agree with you here, Niall. There's an significant element of truth to what Chris Sutton is saying. Over the past few months, I've seen way too many really, really stupid takes on social media -- primarily on Twitter and the plethora of Celtic-based Facebook groups (including purportedly the Green Brigade's Facebook page, surprisingly, which I no longer follow because of the nonsense).

It's more than just "a few Twitter posts." The Facebook pages especially are rife with batshit nonsense, and whether it's just faux fans sowing the seeds of dissent is another issue. I've locked horns with several -- no, scores and possibly hundreds -- of people over the last few months who, well, let's just say think less of Lenny than I do and have absolutely no basis for their criticism other than he's not the manager they wanted.

What the hell kind of supporters are these, if they're even supporters at all?

When were winning he will be brilliant ,when were losing he's sh*T

Not everyone on the different celtic forums wanted him some still don't but they're getting behind the team

So chris has got a point

Love the piece on Sutton niall J and couldn't agree more . I was one who wanted a different manager from lenny but like the rest of us I'm 1000% behind him. This nonsense of "reporting " on a few Twitter posts is no more than lazy journalism. There's no guarantee they are even genuine Celtic supporters at all. Same thing with the express reporting on some Twitter posts "Celtic fans calling for lennys head " because we conceded first in Sarajevo, ridiculous. That side probably the toughest opposition we could've faced at that stage 5-2 a great result and performance over 2 legs v hammer throwers that put hearts and Aberdeen to shame. Power to you mt for calling it out.??
Alright Winter. Twitter I'm reliably informed is a social media platform that would suit me (I use none now) and I did consider getting involved. Thankfully my Brother advised to take the voyeur approach before jumping in. I'm glad I did. It wouldn't surprise me if people just wanted to challenge Sutton for the sake of it rather than have any real belief behind their tweets. To take that into a national newspaper smacked of one-upmanship on Sutton's part. Last word and all that (y)

on the away day ticket issue

Personally I think our premier league should be 18-20 league playing each team home and away. And if Hunco limit away fans to 1000 circa

then it should be imposed at every single stadium as 1000 seats for away fans.

Now I realise that means less tickets for celtic fans at most games.

But I think it would make it more likely teams would want the bigger league

(much harder for celtic to run amok every season)

But would mean Aberdeen Hearts Hibs etc have a slightly better chance to finish closer at end of season, both by having more chance at home by having bigger crowd than all away teams, but also by playing the two huge crowds in Glasgow so often every season.

Contovertial idea I know

But I would like a league where more teams have realistic hope of league titles than utter one sided crowds at every game every season except the glasgow big matches.

Alright Winter. Twitter I'm reliably informed is a social media platform that would suit me (I use none now) and I did consider getting involved. Thankfully my Brother advised to take the voyeur approach before jumping in. I'm glad I did. It wouldn't surprise me if people just wanted to challenge Sutton for the sake of it rather than have any real belief behind their tweets. To take that into a national newspaper smacked of one-upmanship on Sutton's part. Last word and all that (y)
Aye no-one gets the last word when Chris is talking except Chris. I wish he'd get with the times stop writing what ifs/could be / possibly nonsense. He has a massive following and could easily start his own online football news app. That would be a better bet than his managerial stint

Not so sure I agree with you here, Niall. There's an significant element of truth to what Chris Sutton is saying. Over the past few months, I've seen way too many really, really stupid takes on social media -- primarily on Twitter and the plethora of Celtic-based Facebook groups (including purportedly the Green Brigade's Facebook page, surprisingly, which I no longer follow because of the nonsense).

It's more than just "a few Twitter posts." The Facebook pages especially are rife with batshit nonsense, and whether it's just faux fans sowing the seeds of dissent is another issue. I've locked horns with several -- no, scores and possibly hundreds -- of people over the last few months who, well, let's just say think less of Lenny than I do and have absolutely no basis for their criticism other than he's not the manager they wanted.

What the hell kind of supporters are these, if they're even supporters at all?
Hi Icafiero. I certainly take your points on board and it sounds like you've frequented more of these social media platforms than I do. As such I certainly give weight to your argument. Out of interest is this feedback on the competitive results when Lennon was appointed permanent manager or when he was in the temporary post? If it was I'm somewhat surprised and if the basis of their argument is as you say, Lenny just isn't their man it surely doesn't warrant Sutton's 'large number' quote (the bit that really got my back up). Normally I'm a big supporter of Sutton. Seemed to me he was reacting to a Twitter spat and there wasn't a lot of basis that he was even conversing with genuine Celtic fans. A large number indicated to me a majority. In my own experience I haven't seen much evidence of that. Your Green Brigade bit surprised me though. Shocked to be honest to hear that!

Personally I think our premier league should be 18-20 league playing each team home and away. And if Hunco limit away fans to 1000 circa

But would mean Aberdeen Hearts Hibs etc have a slightly better chance to finish closer at end of season, both by having more chance at home by having bigger crowd than all away teams, but also by playing the two huge crowds in Glasgow so often every season.

Contovertial idea I know

But I would like a league where more teams have realistic hope of league titles than utter one sided crowds at every game every season except the glasgow big matches.
Not so controversial TET I've been advocating a 16 team SPL for years now. Clubs like Dundee utd , Inverness, partick and Dundee could compete with the likes of st mirren etc. 16 clubs 30 game season clubs play each other twice h&a. This would cut practically a quarter of our season out and give clubs players the chance to recharge their batteries. How long can Celtic continue playing 60 plus games per season whilst cutting our squad numbers?

Hi Icafiero. I certainly take your points on board and it sounds like you've frequented more of these social media platforms than I do. As such I certainly give weight to your argument. Out of interest is this feedback on the competitive results when Lennon was appointed permanent manager or when he was in the temporary post? If it was I'm somewhat surprised and if the basis of their argument is as you say, Lenny just isn't their man it surely doesn't warrant Sutton's 'large number' quote (the bit that really got my back up). Normally I'm a big supporter of Sutton. Seemed to me he was reacting to a Twitter spat and there wasn't a lot of basis that he was even conversing with genuine Celtic fans. A large number indicated to me a majority. In my own experience I haven't seen much evidence of that. Your Green Brigade bit surprised me though. Shocked to be honest to hear that!
Agreed ??

Aye no-one gets the last word when Chris is talking except Chris. I wish he'd get with the times stop writing what ifs/could be / possibly nonsense. He has a massive following and could easily start his own online football news app. That would be a better bet than his managerial stint
I like him when he's just being himself. he's good enough without the shock Jock approach. He's got this Adrian Durham thing at times and he's better than that.

Not so controversial TET I've been advocating a 16 team SPL for years now. Clubs like Dundee utd , Inverness, partick and Dundee could compete with the likes of st mirren etc. 16 clubs 30 game season clubs play each other twice h&a. This would cut practically a quarter of our season out and give clubs players the chance to recharge their batteries. How long can Celtic continue playing 60 plus games per season whilst cutting our squad numbers?
I think the hearts Hibs Aberdeens would attract better players if the players thought they might win stuff, too.

taking lower wage might be more tempting ig you get more games and genuinely feel you can win league.

If they win their game in glasgow they would have a great chance to push for titles.

Back under old league system the lesser clubs actually appeared to be better teams, perhaps because homes games became really important and getting points away became significant.

if say Aberdeen swapped 2 away trips to all better teams for 1 and then surely come end of season more of the top clubs would be motivated to push for titles

Contovertial idea I know

That's not controversial in my book TET. I'd prefer 14 to start and grow to 16 max. Playoffs for relegation and European places. Dump Leaguecup to a pre-season tournament and get rid of these joke friendlies.

That's not controversial in my book TET. I'd prefer 14 to start and grow to 16 max. Playoffs for relegation and European places. Dump Leaguecup to a pre-season tournament and get rid of these joke friendlies.
trouble with less games means less income and therefore less wages thats why I think a full 20 team league would be my ideal.

both for the smaller clubs who are in cutthroat championship

but also should allow them a little more income from bigger league to attract fans

I think the hearts Hibs Aberdeens would attract better players if the players thought they might win stuff, too.

taking lower wage might be more tempting ig you get more games and genuinely feel you can win league.

If they win their game in glasgow they would have a great chance to push for titles.

Back under old league system the lesser clubs actually appeared to be better teams, perhaps because homes games became really important and getting points away became significant.

if say Aberdeen swapped 2 away trips to all better teams for 1 and then surely come end of season more of the top clubs would be motivated to push for titles
We saw how much these teams grew in belief and support in 'Rangers' absence. All for it. I think we may have been more dominant since they returned:whistle:
8 games against Glasgow sides has them beat before they start, yet their boards would vote for the gate receipts sadly.

Last edited:
trouble with less games means less income and therefore less wages thats why I think a full 20 team league would be my ideal.

both for the smaller clubs who are in cutthroat championship

but also should allow them a little more income from bigger league to attract fans
a 16 team league gives 30 games straight off. Add in the play offs or a split like Rugby League and you're getting a decent number. I take your point and if it went well over say 6/8 years I'd be willing to expand (or if we rejigged the league cup). That said the counter to my argument is the benefit for blooding young players would be better suited to a bigger league you propose, as the threat of relegation pressure and the sack would be alleviated for managers. I'd be happy with any of these options than the current system. 4 games minimum against one team every season stifles the whole league.

We saw how much these teams grew in belief and support in 'Rangers' absence. All for it. I think we may have been more dominant since they returned:whistle:
8 games against Glasgow sides has them beat before they start, yet they're boards would vote for the gate receipts sadly.
thats one of the reasons I think it might make sense in league games to cap away end to same as what celtic and anger fc offer each other.

the huge away crowds must also make it harder for home side.

Hence reason sevvie enforced it

Now im certain fans of clubs would back it

but the handshake owners would want it small league with big day with the glasgow punters paying their bills.

But it has really distorted the Scottish game, most home fans are less likely to come out to support local team if they don't think they have chance.

would surely be easier to police

make smaller clubs more likely to back their team

and make every game a more competitive edge every game if the home support can actually make the home team feel supported with the larger crowd albeit perhaps slightly lesser crowd when playing Glasgow teams

thats one of the reasons I think it might make sense in league games to cap away end to same as what celtic and anger fc offer each other.

the huge away crowds must also make it harder for home side.

Hence reason sevvie enforced it

Now im certain fans of clubs would back it

but the handshake owners would want it small league with big day with the glasgow punters paying their bills.

But it has really distorted the Scottish game, most home fans are less likely to come out to support local team if they don't think they have chance.

would surely be easier to police

make smaller clubs more likely to back their team

and make every game a more competitive edge every game if the home support can actually make the home team feel supported with the larger crowd albeit perhaps slightly lesser crowd when playing Glasgow teams
That's it in a nutshell, fans would back it. I'd forego a few derbies for the benefit of the development of players, the league and of course the national team and Euro co-efficients (by the way I agree wholeheartedly with your previous posts on European football too) . The problem is TET your idea is common sense. it doesn't exactly prevail in Scottish football boardrooms. Unless you fancy an Extinction Rebellion style approach. Fancy gluing ourselves together on a pie stall at Killie? :)

Re the article by big Sutty. I have to disagree with you on that one Niall J.We know the forums are to a degree unreliable ( I include Twitter and Facebook in this ) because they are infested by trolls and wind up merchants but I was one of the thousands awaiting the treble treble bus at Glasgow Cross when the news of Lennys appointment broke and the response of hundreds around me ranged from rage to incredulity to fuck the cheapskate gutless board to disgust and there were no trolls present. I fear that we have become "entitled". Dave King 8/5/18 "they will collapse like a pack of cards if we win the title -he wasn't talking about Celtic football club, Dermott Desmond,Peter Lawwell and the board or the Manager and team he was talking about us and I hope to fuck I dont find out if he's right :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Yes, 16 team league for me too. Less games (possibly the reason lesser teams are against it as they think it will be less revenue) and less boring for fans & players as teams aren't playing the same teams so often (5-6 matches in a season isn't unusual when you add in cup games). The top teams in the Championship are as good as the bottom 6 in the Premiership.

P.s. I'm off before I get done in
:ROFLMAO:
Don't go yet! So I know the fallout from the actual appointment. I know I was in the minority being behind Lenny's appointment. As such I fully enjoyed and revelled in the Treble Treble and the view to the future the appointment gave me!
But that was then and I did cover that in the piece. It's now that concerns me. My own experience is that the fans got behind him with a bit of time to get used to it and in the way he's performed with the Tierney, Turnbull and Ntcham situations. Is your experience that Celtic fans are still not behind him or is it based on the Treble Treble day alone?
Never did quite get how appointing a manager could piss in anyone's Treble Treble pint. Some things are bigger than that!

Whew. A lot to deal with here.

Hi Icafiero. I certainly take your points on board and it sounds like you've frequented more of these social media platforms than I do. As such I certainly give weight to your argument. Out of interest is this feedback on the competitive results when Lennon was appointed permanent manager or when he was in the temporary post?

Certainly the torches and pitchforks were out in force while Lenny was the temporary manager, not so much after he was appointed permanent manager, but there were grumblings afterward. Not the least of which was from James Forrest, incidentally, who was a complete downer on the Treble Treble celebration upon the hiring of Neil Lennon.

If it was I'm somewhat surprised and if the basis of their argument is as you say, Lenny just isn't their man it surely doesn't warrant Sutton's 'large number' quote (the bit that really got my back up).

Understood, and I agree. I think if Sutton is guilty of anything, it's being careless with his terminology. "Large number" is relative. For example, 100 can be a large number to some when, in comparison to the whole, it's minuscule.

I don't think the number is as large as Sutton might think, but my point -- right or wrong -- is that the number, however large or not, is higher than it should be; again assuming these are real supporters and not wind-up artists (which I am assuming many, probably most, of them are).

It speaks to an issue of journalism vs. social media where, in short, the latter is supplanting the former. As a former newspaper editor for nearly four decades and as the publicity director for a computer show which relied primarily on electronic media for promotion, I can speak volumes on this topic with a degree of authority, but I will spare you and everyone else.

You're welcome.

Your Green Brigade bit surprised me though. Shocked to be honest to hear that!

I should probably explain further: For the longest time the Green Brigade's Facebook group was pretty solid -- mostly Ultra-type banter sprinkled with a some Irish independence stuff, all of which was OK with me. Then they decided to open the group to the general public, assuming they were after a wider audience to promote Celtic, and the shit hit the fan. I was not the only one electronically slapping the stupid on the back of the head, or worse, but it got too tiresome and the tsunami of stupid was too high to surf.

I understand some of the other Celtic supporter pages primarily having posts like, "Can I get a Hail Hail for my dog?" and things like this. That's part and parcel of social media. But I would expect more from a group dedicated to the Green Brigade. To be fair, the official Celtic FC page on Facebook is pretty solid, as are their Twitter posts.

Today, anyone with Internet access and an account becomes a "publisher." There's definitely a blessing-and-curse aspect to that.

Members online

Latest posts

Back