Celtic player you wish you'd seen wearing the Hoops

Bridie Bhoy

Following on from Winter's excellent (big very tough) top 5 players you've seen wear the Hoops, which Celtic legend do you wish you had seen? It might be a brilliant player who left before your time, or maybe an old hero that your Dad or Grandfather worshipped.

I guess there will be many younger fans who will say Jinky for the obvious reasons as he was probably our greatest ever entertainer, so you may wish to add a second choice instead/as well.

I feel sad that I missed out on Bobby Murdoch - it seems that all supporters just a little bit older than me and club historians absolutely rave about his tremendous skill, guile and tenacity as he contributed so much to us winning auld big ears, but sadly he was gone by the time I started supporting the Hoops as a very young bhoy.

Booby Murdoch link

Last edited:
Outstanding and was my hero as a kid I remember coming home from CP with a poster of chick nick by the time I got home it was soaked and cost about £1.50 A lot of money really back then , oofft I sound auld right there ?
You're no that old if you were a kid in the 80s ?watched a few old games and he did look a great player,skillful and an eye for goal ?

Charlie Nicholas before he went to Arsenal
Charlie Nicholas was such an amazing and exciting player when he broke through at Celtic. So much skill and ability. I'm not sure he gets the credit he deserves due to the nonsense he has spouted on the telly over the last couple of decades. I believe if he had signed for Liverpool rather than Arsenal then we would be considered one of the best British footballers of his time, but he became undisciplined and loved the showbiz glamour of London too much instead of concentrating on the fitba.

Charlie Nicholas was such an amazing and exciting player when he broke through at Celtic. So much skill and ability. I'm not sure he gets the credit he deserves due to the nonsense he has spouted on the telly over the last couple of decades. I believe if he had signed for Liverpool rather than Arsenal then we would be considered one of the best British footballers of his time, but he became undisciplined and loved the showbiz glamour of London too much instead of concentrating on the fitba.
The guy still wears a diamond earing fs ?

We had a conveyor belt of amazing strikers back then 1 just followed the other every time Nicholas, McClair, walker (hate hate him now but knew where the goal was), macca, on and on kept coming up with these super strikers even Judas j*** no sorry can't bring myself to write his name here but when he played for us he was immense that aside he can jump off a bridge as far as I'm concerned

We had a conveyor belt of amazing strikers back then 1 just followed the other every time Nicholas, McClair, walker (hate hate him now but knew where the goal was), macca, on and on kept coming up with these super strikers even Judas j*** no sorry can't bring myself to write his name here but when he played for us he was immense that aside he can jump off a bridge as far as I'm concerned
A game that sticks in my head was that coca cola cup final,think McClair came on as a sub,probably well past his prime by that time.

He was unstoppable in that 50-goal season, BB.........do you remember the goal on his debut for Scotland against Switzerland?

I agree about the Arsenal thing too, far too much temptation for a young boy in London.
Yes SP, a fantastic goal.

I remember Charlie played in a testimonial at Forfar Athletic when he was hot property (possibly returning from a leg break???). At the end of the match there was a massive queue to get his autograph and just as he took my programme to sign it some ned gobbed on him and told him to "f**k off", so Charlie just trotted off up the tunnel, taking my signed programme with him! :cry:

Yes SP, a fantastic goal.

I remember Charlie played in a testimonial at Forfar Athletic when he was hot property (possibly returning from a leg break???). At the end of the match there was a massive queue to get his autograph and just as he took my programme to sign it some ned gobbed on him and told him to "f**k off", so Charlie just trotted off up the tunnel, taking my signed programme with him! :cry:
Pity Tommy Gemmell wisnae about ..

Members online

Latest posts

Back