Celtic players you played against

A

Anthony

Has anyone came up against a player that made it at Celtic?Remember playing against McGeady a few times when he played for govanhill boys club .Played against some great players but he was something else at that age think he knocked back Arsenal for us .

Yogi Hughes, school mate not THE YOGI.
Paul Kane(hibs) Eddie may (hibs) Willie Murray 1yr above( hibs) John Robertson (hearts) Dave bowman ( dun .utd) various teams at one time or another. Not in the same league then...?

Yogi Hughes, school mate not THE YOGI.
Paul Kane(hibs) Eddie may (hibs) Willie Murray 1yr above( hibs) John Robertson (hearts) Dave bowman ( dun .utd) various teams at one time or another. Not in the same league then...?
Remember them all mate Robertson was a good striker always scored belters

Had a kick about with Mike Jackson at Cathkin park mid 80's. My pal was going out with one of his daughters and he had invited Mr Jackson up there to "give us some tips" unbeknown to the rest of us! Don't know who was most embarrassed to be honest.
Also used to play on the street as kids with Paul McGrillen (m'well) and another kid who's name escapes me who went on to sign for Celtic and actually played a couple of first team games in the early 90's.
One of my PE teachers at Holyrood in Glasgow, supplemented his wages by turning out for Kilmarnock at the weekend, Jim Burke. Also another kid in my year signed for Celtic but I don't think he broke through, think his name was David Elliott though I could be wrong. In fact there were a couple of players on the books of Aberdeen while still at school but I can't remember the names unfortunately.

Had a kick about with Mike Jackson at Cathkin park mid 80's. My pal was going out with one of his daughters and he had invited Mr Jackson up there to "give us some tips" unbeknown to the rest of us! Don't know who was most embarrassed to be honest.
Also used to play on the street as kids with Paul McGrillen (m'well) and another kid who's name escapes me who went on to sign for Celtic and actually played a couple of first team games in the early 90's.
One of my PE teachers at Holyrood in Glasgow, supplemented his wages by turning out for Kilmarnock at the weekend, Jim Burke. Also another kid in my year signed for Celtic but I don't think he broke through, think his name was David Elliott though I could be wrong. In fact there were a couple of players on the books of Aberdeen while still at school but I can't remember the names unfortunately.
Holyrood always had a great team gave us a few hidings

Joe Miller when he was at Aberdeen Lads Club - played against them on ash in Glasgow, pointed out to us defenders before kick-off to keep an eye on Miller as Celtic were signing him.

Bam, bam, bam! Joe scored a hat-trick and we lost 4-0. What struck me was his positional ability that day - kept popping up out of nowhere. We did fulfil our instructions to keep an eye on him, however- that was all we could do; never got close enough to kick him.

One that always really saddens me was young Stevie Murray - played against him a number of times as a teen in early Eighties - kid was different class. And I mean DIFFERENT class- probably the best Scottish player of his generation - Maestro level - good enough for Brian Clough to stick on Forest's bench at 17 for a European Cup game, good enough to be labelled 'the new Dalglish' when he came up the road to Celtic.

Everything was laid out for that bhoy - legendary future ahead of him until that fucking animal Dolan of Motherwell actually physically crippled him in a reserve match at Celtic Park when he was about 19 or 20 - tore his Achilles tendon right off his heel; destroyed a career in a flash.

It was a deliberate and savage assault on a player beyond his level, nothing more than bitter payback for being toyed with all game. Sheer envy manifest as brutality.

Still makes me sick these decades gone when I remember how breathtaking Murray's ability was - you knew you were up against a being from a different universe, football wise. What he could've become...

In the early nineties I witnessed a situation when both of them were in the same nightclub vip lounge - Dolan with Motherwell players on their Scottish Cup run, and Stevie Murray - still carrying that limp - with a cadre of drinking pals. Tension was palpable to anyone who knew the history.

Ultimately, when karma caught up with Dolan and his untimely death was reported I can't say I was laden with any sympathy; just heavy regret for a golden career ruined at the studs of a mediocre clugger.

Never actually played against any Celtic future Celtic men I knew Tam Boyd well we went to the same school, our team that year won everything he was destined for a great career. My claim to fame was knocking out big Brian Irvine who went on to captain Aberdeen and play for Scotland I was a goalkeeper playing in the amateur leagues for a team from Airdrie was a 50/50 ball I won it and collided my right knee flush on his big jaw boom goodnight Vienna, he was carted off unconscious in an ambulance to the monklands general.. let me tell you even back then he was a big boy glad I never bumped into him again lol

Never actually played against any Celtic future Celtic men I knew Tam Boyd well we went to the same school, our team that year won everything he was destined for a great career. My claim to fame was knocking out big Brian Irvine who went on to captain Aberdeen and play for Scotland I was a goalkeeper playing in the amateur leagues for a team from Airdrie was a 50/50 ball I won it and collided my right knee flush on his big jaw boom goodnight Vienna, he was carted off unconscious in an ambulance to the monklands general.. let me tell you even back then he was a big boy glad I never bumped into him again lol
?

Has anyone came up against a player that made it at Celtic?Remember playing against McGeady a few times when he played for govanhill boys club .Played against some great players but he was something else at that age think he knocked back Arsenal for us .
played against Roy Aitken at basketball. Scotland U15 v U17. At a training session at Saltcoats, I think.

I called my youngest son after him.

I guess you can tell being female, i have never had the pleasure of coming up against anyone playing for celtic.

imagine me playing football with Scott Brown though .....?????❤️? haha

Joe Miller when he was at Aberdeen Lads Club - played against them on ash in Glasgow, pointed out to us defenders before kick-off to keep an eye on Miller as Celtic were signing him.

Bam, bam, bam! Joe scored a hat-trick and we lost 4-0. What struck me was his positional ability that day - kept popping up out of nowhere. We did fulfil our instructions to keep an eye on him, however- that was all we could do; never got close enough to kick him.

One that always really saddens me was young Stevie Murray - played against him a number of times as a teen in early Eighties - kid was different class. And I mean DIFFERENT class- probably the best Scottish player of his generation - Maestro level - good enough for Brian Clough to stick on Forest's bench at 17 for a European Cup game, good enough to be labelled 'the new Dalglish' when he came up the road to Celtic.

Everything was laid out for that bhoy - legendary future ahead of him until that fucking animal Dolan of Motherwell actually physically crippled him in a reserve match at Celtic Park when he was about 19 or 20 - tore his Achilles tendon right off his heel; destroyed a career in a flash.

It was a deliberate and savage assault on a player beyond his level, nothing more than bitter payback for being toyed with all game. Sheer envy manifest as brutality.

Still makes me sick these decades gone when I remember how breathtaking Murray's ability was - you knew you were up against a being from a different universe, football wise. What he could've become...

In the early nineties I witnessed a situation when both of them were in the same nightclub vip lounge - Dolan with Motherwell players on their Scottish Cup run, and Stevie Murray - still carrying that limp - with a cadre of drinking pals. Tension was palpable to anyone who knew the history.

Ultimately, when karma caught up with Dolan and his untimely death was reported I can't say I was laden with any sympathy; just heavy regret for a golden career ruined at the studs of a mediocre clugger.

How terribly sad. All those hopes and dreams with ability noted by all for it all to be stolen in a heartbeat. That made me feel sick reading that coz you made it so visual it was palpable.

Really good writer sandman

Joe Miller wit a player he was. Lightning ??

What school did you go to bertie, st ambies?

I called my youngest son after him.

I guess you can tell being female, i have never had the pleasure of coming up against anyone playing for celtic.

imagine me playing football with Scott Brown though .....?????❤️? haha
McGeady was great couldnae get near him kicked him a few times though ? Mighta known youd bring Broony into it lol

Back