Celtic players you played against

When I was a young lad training with DFC during school holidays, they had Cowboy McCormack's Celtic All-Stars: Cowboy, Jim Duffy, Tosh McKinley, Bobby Connor, Albert Kidd and I got a wee shout now and then when they needed a goalie.

Jim Duffy's the only boy I've ever seen maim somebody while playing head-tennis???

When I was a young lad training with DFC during school holidays, they had Cowboy McCormack's Celtic All-Stars: Cowboy, Jim Duffy, Tosh McKinley, Bobby Connor, Albert Kidd and I got a wee shout now and then when they needed a goalie.

Jim Duffy's the only boy I've ever seen maim somebody while playing head-tennis???
?

Rab lettice on the coaching staff? Tam Hutchinson decent player.your bang on btw some good players in that era.?
DUFC must have had a line with Hutchy Vale at that time. There were quite a few boys come through at holidays.

Biscuits was one of the victims of the politics in Scottish Schoolboys Football. Once they'd equally divided the Celtic boys and that other mobs, there were only limited spaces left in the squad.

They picked Mark Cairns (Hearts) and big Stuart Balmer (Grangemouth).

Balmer was an enigma to the selectors. He was a cream bun by nature, but had just signed schoolie with Celtic.

There was a guy played for Hutchinson mibbee your time l thought was one of the most gifted players l have seen at 15.
Russel Cunningham what a talent unbelievable at times....sadly took the wrong path but what player.
I was born 1970......I think he was either a year above or a year below.

We all knew about him though. There were three players at that time that everyone raved about: John Spencer, Raymond McKinnon and Russell Cunningham.

Raymond was eligible to play a year below and he said that when he was at Largs for the trials, there were scouts from all over the UK just to get a handle on RC.

A whole load of talented boys slipped through the net TGS. I think it was sometimes a case of too much too soon.

I was born 1970......I think he was either a year above or a year below.

We all knew about him though. There were three players at that time that everyone raved about: John Spencer, Raymond McKinnon and Russell Cunningham.

Raymond was eligible to play a year below and he said that when he was at Largs for the trials, there were scouts from all over the UK just to get a handle on RC.

A whole load of talented boys slipped through the net TGS. I think it was sssometimes a case of too much too soon.
Russell was something special. Ask Darren Jackson. Couldn't get a game because of him. Like l said took the wrong path.

Russell was something special. Ask Darren Jackson. Couldn't get a game because of him. Like l said took the wrong path.
It's a shame, TGS and as a country we just don't produce that type of talent all that often.

You could have made a decent Premier League side with all the boys that just fell by the wayside or took the wrong path.

I knew my limitations, once you step up a grade you get found wanting. Some of these boys though, once they break away from their mentors (like the guys at Vale) and go senior, then they get the love coached oot them and it all becomes a chore.

Getting nostalgiac now and great memories TGS. I was lucky enough to play in the right teams at the right times and it was a joy to watch how these lads played the game.

HH my friend, btw......my second wife came from Gordon Street in Leith. Think there's a bingo hall there.......she lived across from it

It's a shame, TGS and as a country we just don't produce that type of talent all that often.

You could have made a decent Premier League side with all the boys that just fell by the wayside or took the wrong path.

I knew my limitations, once you step up a grade you get found wanting. Some of these boys though, once they break away from their mentors (like the guys at Vale) and go senior, then they get the love coached oot them and it all becomes a chore.

Getting nostalgiac now and great memories TGS. I was lucky enough to play in the right teams at the right times and it was a joy to watch how these lads played the game.

HH my friend, btw......my second wife came from Gordon Street in Leith. Think there's a bingo hall there.......she lived across from it
The cappie bingo! Hahaha take care mucker! HH

Members online

Latest posts

Back