Celtic v Aberdeen - Scottish Premiership Sat 27 February, kick-off 3pm Watch via Pass to Paradise.

Youd think that Clarke mightve wanted him on his Scotland team maybe the SFA have a similar regime to Peter's
Possibly because he is English and they both thought he could step up from assistant manager as Clarke did himself and also that it would be easier for Killie for when he decided to leave?

I would hope that we could get next season's manager in now to assess the squad BEFORE the summer.
So say us all BB even Rodgers hopes we do differently from his time ( our most successful) I just hope our best signing is Desmond jnr to the board and that he and McKay form a good working relationship, two really clever guys how hard can it be to appoint another as manager ? Maybe I should hold off on judgement of that but I am positively hopeful if frustrated by the amount of time things take to get done at CP. I pray that's down to the size of the task at hand left by Peter.

Sorry Niall, I must have been watching a different game as I saw the same indisciplines that have cost us so badly this season.
Lax spent most of the 1st half way ahead of calmac as usual.
Broony still wants to sit on top of the CB and slow the game down to a snails pace.
Eddy still wants to be the one man show when a simple pass could usually take 3 players out of play, so why bother with another up front along side him.
Still not getting Turnbull into the game enough, who remains our best player for unlocking a tight defence.
Still wanting to play a 2nd half way deeper due to a lack of fitness.
Still doing the high defensive line from set plays that have been so costly.
Christie still doing his impression of the invisible man especially 2nd half.
JK said beforehand there wouldn't be to many changes well at least he's honest about that, said before the game was looking for a change in attitude, can't say I noticed any really
sounds like he doesn't know who or what to change. NOT a contender for me.

Judge Kennedy after the 8 games? You’re not actually suggesting if we win all 8 that he gets the gig are you Niall?
I'm not BB. I think this audition period should tell everyone if he can manaage a group of players with a view to flying the nest. I like the thought of Kennedy going somewhere else and proving himself. I wrote for the Star on that on Friday.
https://thecelticstar.com/celtic-interim-manager-john-kennedys-audition-against-aberdeen/
I'd like to see Aberdeen take him on as I think McInnes will go soon enough and if he proves himself over 2/3 seasons he comes back. I also think with so many changes afoot that it's too big a job for someone without experience. I suppose a DOF would make a difference in that regard but I'd prefer we look elsewhere this time around

Sorry Niall, I must have been watching a different game as I saw the same indisciplines that have cost us so badly this season.
Lax spent most of the 1st half way ahead of calmac as usual.
Broony still wants to sit on top of the CB and slow the game down to a snails pace.
Eddy still wants to be the one man show when a simple pass could usually take 3 players out of play, so why bother with another up front along side him.
Still not getting Turnbull into the game enough, who remains our best player for unlocking a tight defence.
Still wanting to play a 2nd half way deeper due to a lack of fitness.
Still doing the high defensive line from set plays that have been so costly.
Christie still doing his impression of the invisible man especially 2nd half.
JK said beforehand there wouldn't be to many changes well at least he's honest about that, said before the game was looking for a change in attitude, can't say I noticed any really
I thought defensively and in midfield we were well set up and disciplined. Yes you are right laxalt does what he does sometimes and my word it is frustrating from an AC Milan player - and I think taylor if fit would have been a better choice. What worried me most was we emptied around th 55th minute, and I mean really emptied. The subs were made to help but the legs were gone in so many of them. Once you are tired like that the decision making gets impacted and that was evident. I do not understand how in Feb we can be so lacking in condition and not aware the impact that has on a game plan. I doubt Kennedy can fix that in 8 games but we could do witha conditioning coach. Funnily enough I inducted the current Scottish Rugby conditioning coach into the ways of the Celts when I shared a flat in our college years. I wonder if Dom would poach him. he's worked wonders with that team.

I'm not BB. I think this audition period should tell everyone if he can manaage a group of players with a view to flying the nest. I like the thought of Kennedy going somewhere else and proving himself. I wrote for the Star on that on Friday.
https://thecelticstar.com/celtic-interim-manager-john-kennedys-audition-against-aberdeen/
I'd like to see Aberdeen take him on as I think McInnes will go soon enough and if he proves himself over 2/3 seasons he comes back. I also think with so many changes afoot that it's too big a job for someone without experience. I suppose a DOF would make a difference in that regard but I'd prefer we look elsewhere this time around
Right I’ll go and read your article now you’ve mentioned it. Hadn’t seen it.

I'd also prefer we look elsewhere, it's good for JK to get a little experience at managing a top club but should ne no more than a stop gap. Whether its Aberdeen which I doubt , or a EFL side he cant be walking into the job here it wont go down well even if he beats sevco twice in his 8 games the pressures off and hes not working under the same pressures HH ☘

I'd also prefer we look elsewhere, it's good for JK to get a little experience at managing a top club but should ne no more than a stop gap. Whether its Aberdeen which I doubt , or a EFL side he cant be walking into the job here it wont go down well even if he beats sevco twice in his 8 games the pressures off and hes not working under the same pressures HH ☘
Only to a degree winter, even without the pressure on the outcome of the season, there is still 2 derby matches for which he will be judged on.
Also pride is at stake for us as the thought of losing all 4 against the scum would still be unthinkable and any face value he has got left would soon disappear.
If he can't get a team setup and fired up for such a game then his managerial career could be very short lived

Can't believe folk on here wanting Clarke ,,,,,why because he can organize a team and get them to defend ,his resume ain't outstanding best leave him with the dregs of the scotland team
As for JK it's a naw from me he's been under every manager and has hung around like a bad smell if he had any ambition he would have tried to get into management a long time ago all i saw yesterday was 11 players runnin around a lot quicker apart from christie and their arses collapsing after 55 minutes ,don't care if he goes through the season unbeaten ,,,,it would reek of just another cheap option

Only to a degree winter, even without the pressure on the outcome of the season, there is still 2 derby matches for which he will be judged on.
Also pride is at stake for us as the thought of losing all 4 against the scum would still be unthinkable and any face value he has got left would soon disappear.
If he can't get a team setup and fired up for such a game then his managerial career could be very short lived
Christ I'm going to sound like a Kennedy acolyte again, please accept this response in the Devil's advocate tone it is meant.
On one side we say there is no pressure, on the other side two derby games where there is clear pressure, for the pride and a doubt placed in an opposition psyche for next season if nothing else.
So on one side I'd agree, if you can't fire a team up a managerial record could be impacted, however if he does fire them? Is that just discounted because there was no pressure, despite..well.. there being pressure?
Also as per Kelly's point if he's hung around like a bad spell, how much of that spell was succesful? Or again do we pick and choose? Tainted by association on one bad season (and I appreciate its magnitude) and shit sticks, or do we have an equitable outlook and admit he may have either played a role in a lot of success and also in season of collapse? or do we admit we don't know his impact at all in any season good or bad, because much like we laud Duff and then villify Strachan and his laptop, with Kennedy up to now we have no clue what he does or doesn't bring? Just saying.

The bloody ITV National News just said that St Johnstone had won the Betfred Scottish League Cup for the first time in their history. And it was also the first time since 2016 that a team other than (the) rangers or Celtic has won the trophy!!! Eh? When the hell did the new club win it? It is bad enough them claiming stolen trophies from a dead club but they are getting credit for our ones.

Ignorant bastards!

The bloody ITV National News just said that St Johnstone had won the Betfred Scottish League Cup for the first time in their history. And it was also the first time since 2016 that a team other than (the) rangers or Celtic has won the trophy!!! Eh? When the hell did the new club win it? It is bad enough them claiming stolen trophies from a dead club but they are getting credit for our ones.

Ignorant bastards!
Down to our custodians. We continue to sell ourselves as two cheeks of the same ...well you know

Christ I'm going to sound like a Kennedy acolyte again, please accept this response in the Devil's advocate tone it is meant.
On one side we say there is no pressure, on the other side two derby games where there is clear pressure, for the pride and a doubt placed in an opposition psyche for next season if nothing else.
So on one side I'd agree, if you can't fire a team up a managerial record could be impacted, however if he does fire them? Is that just discounted because there was no pressure, despite..well.. there being pressure?
Also as per Kelly's point if he's hung around like a bad spell, how much of that spell was succesful? Or again do we pick and choose? Tainted by association on one bad season (and I appreciate its magnitude) and shit sticks, or do we have an equitable outlook and admit he may have either played a role in a lot of success and also in season of collapse? or do we admit we don't know his impact at all in any season good or bad, because much like we laud Duff and then villify Strachan and his laptop, with Kennedy up to now we have no clue what he does or doesn't bring? Just saying.
Sorry Niall just to clear up my stance on JK.
Under no circumstances would I like him to get the celtic job on a full time basis regardless of how he does in his 8 games.
I would however like him to do well as so maybe an opportunity may open up elsewhere for him.
I think he and us as a club could do with a break from each other.
So if JK has got any desire to become a manager in his own accord then 2 derby wins will help his profile no end and also a better opportunity further down the line to make a return if that opportunity arises again

I saw a team more rigid in position from minute one. Within 3 days they had defined roles and not just reliant on individuals, they were clearly at least trying to link up. Yet again they ran out of steam prior to an hour played. I see positives from that. You can drill fitness, however the natural ability is and has always been there. If that was down to Kennedy i'm doubtful, you can only go so far as an assistant. For what it's worth I think we need to judge Kennedy as his own man and at the end of this 8 game phase not just a game 72 hours after a seismic change.
Agreed Niall.
We had a shape and a team ethic and although it was a narrow victory there was more of a sense of purpose. When there is only one goal in it any opponent not just Aberdeen will have a 15 minute cavalry charge on the basis that the three points are lost wether its 1-0 or 3-0 but this time I felt we didn't panic and forced another couple of chances, so for me it was a much better 1-0 victory this time

True but I personally wouldnt judge him against the 2 games v them and 6 others , not a guy who has no experience of being a no1 whether he won both or lost both it wouldnt tick the boxes for me , far from it

Can't believe folk on here wanting Clarke ,,,,,why because he can organize a team and get them to defend ,his resume ain't outstanding best leave him with the dregs of the scotland team
As for JK it's a naw from me he's been under every manager and has hung around like a bad smell if he had any ambition he would have tried to get into management a long time ago all i saw yesterday was 11 players runnin around a lot quicker apart from christie and their arses collapsing after 55 minutes ,don't care if he goes through the season unbeaten ,,,,it would reek of just another cheap option
I dont want any of them, not when the likes of Wagner has reportedly put his name forward for the job. I'd be stunned if McKay's first appointment for the managers job was in that field. Also Clarke will never leave the Scotland post when hes just led us to a major tournament albeit a backdoor entry but we take what we can get , for Scotland that is not Celtic

Agreed Niall.
We had a shape and a team ethic and although it was a narrow victory there was more of a sense of purpose. When there is only one goal in it any opponent not just Aberdeen will have a 15 minute cavalry charge on the basis that the three points are lost wether its 1-0 or 3-0 but this time I felt we didn't panic and forced another couple of chances, so for me it was a much better 1-0 victory this time
Surely a team should have their calvary charge in the first 15 mins rather than go a goal behind; try and go a goal ahead then see out the remaining 75 minutes safe in the knowledge that to lose a goal would only be an equaliser and thus a result. McInness is pish and Celtics shape on Saturday was no different, the only positive was the width and use of the ball in long spells of the game, but we need an end product or it is a backs to the wall victory if we have to sweat the game out once in the leadm there is no goals coming from attacking headers or the splitting open of defences that we were accustomed to, need to get back to the Celtic we all know and the way we want our teams to play. Carving teams open with creative and inventive runs and passing.

Last edited:
Understand what you're saying but for me the pressure that is upon JK to beat the rangers is no more than murty faced when he was caretaker over there. Would they have settled for him as full time manager had he beaten us ? I doubt it even though he was the only one who was able to get any return from us with the 2 draws ☘

Back